Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

People power will not be denied.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:56 am

im glad the revolution is still ongoing. the brotherhood is just a bunch of neoliberal turds trying to subvert the revolution for their own gain and the current rulers are what the revolutionaries call "mini-mubaraks". this is a good sign(the protests). im glad the people recognise the muslim brotherhood for what they are. they did after all totally give up when their lot in life improved with mubaraks toppling and now for them to step back in, it's just suss. the revolution continues to inspire.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

Here's something controversial - it's happening throughout North Africa.
Libya's National Transitional Council seems to be doing something Gaddafi never could - making Gaddafi look good.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

VMSmith wrote:
im glad the revolution is still ongoing. the brotherhood is just a bunch of neoliberal turds trying to subvert the revolution for their own gain and the current rulers are what the revolutionaries call "mini-mubaraks". this is a good sign(the protests). im glad the people recognise the muslim brotherhood for what they are. they did after all totally give up when their lot in life improved with mubaraks toppling and now for them to step back in, it's just suss. the revolution continues to inspire.

The Muslim Brotherhood are a bunch of "neoliberal turds?" As fundamentalists, I don't think they qualify as liberals of any sort.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

I hope this all turns out okay. Everyone is counting on the Egyptian lefties now. They have to make their voices heard! It would break my heart if the conservatives set up another dictatorship.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

The Muslim Brotherhood aren't that radical. I'd be really afraid of what would happen if the Salafists took power.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The Muslim Brotherhood aren't that radical. I'd be really afraid of what would happen if the Salafists took power.

That is true. The right in this country has gotten us spooked about any group with the word "Muslim" in it's title.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 10:07 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Libya's National Transitional Council seems to be doing something Gaddafi never could - making Gaddafi look good.

Agreed.

However Egypt always has and still does hold a quite different geopolitical position of great importance. It is the cornerstone to Africa and to a much smaller extent, one of the cornerstones to the Middle East.

While I hope they succeed I cannot help but think that control (or at least influence) over Egypt is considered by certain western powers a "piece" too great to be lost. I disagree with that massively however I fear that is how it may turn out.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

The Muslim Brotherhood are a bunch of "neoliberal turds?" As fundamentalists, I don't think they qualify as liberals of any sort.

wikipedia:
Quote:
Neoliberalism is a contemporary political movement advocating economic liberalizations, free trade and open markets. Neoliberalism supports the privatization of nationalized industries, deregulation, and enhancing the role of the private sector in modern society. It is commonly informed by neoclassical or Austrian economics. The term neoliberal today is often used as a general condemnation of economic liberalization policies and advocates.

i keep forgetting americans associate liberal with progressive. sorry. my criticism of them was that they are rich and will rule for the rich and the revolution only matters if it gets them in positions of power. religion is just what they use to justify that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:55 am

VMSmith wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

wikipedia:
Quote:
Neoliberalism is a contemporary political movement advocating economic liberalizations, free trade and open markets. Neoliberalism supports the privatization of nationalized industries, deregulation, and enhancing the role of the private sector in modern society. It is commonly informed by neoclassical or Austrian economics. The term neoliberal today is often used as a general condemnation of economic liberalization policies and advocates.

i keep forgetting americans associate liberal with progressive. sorry. my criticism of them was that they are rich and will rule for the rich and the revolution only matters if it gets them in positions of power. religion is just what they use to justify that.

That's okay. :D

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 1:57 am

Kjas wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:

Agreed.

However Egypt always has and still does hold a quite different geopolitical position of great importance. It is the cornerstone to Africa and to a much smaller extent, one of the cornerstones to the Middle East.

While I hope they succeed I cannot help but think that control (or at least influence) over Egypt is considered by certain western powers a "piece" too great to be lost. I disagree with that massively however I fear that is how it may turn out.

thats true. there's that saying "you cant have war in the middle east without egypt and you cant make peace without syria." the interests of the western powers will always be economic. they totally backed the dictators right up until the end and now they will back whomever they see fit to guard their interests.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:04 am

VMSmith wrote:
Kjas wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:

Agreed.

thats true. there's that saying "you cant have war in the middle east without egypt and you cant make peace without syria." the interests of the western powers will always be economic. they totally backed the dictators right up until the end and now they will back whomever they see fit to guard their interests.

Yes, unless they manage to come up with the next Nasser, along with massive people power, I think this will end badly. Western powers have a horrible history of installing dictators providing they suit their economic interests, not just in the middle east but worldwide.

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Have after almost every revolution in history usually not the persons who started the revolution came to the power.