The President comes out in support of gay marriage!

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 3:08 pm

Finally, the President has come out on the right side of history regarding gay marriage.
I just hope it won't lose him the election.
Discuss.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 3:37 pm

Yay!

Of course it won't cost him the election, it was a shrewd and well-timed political maneuver. (Not doubting his sincerity at all.)
Obama is exceptional at explaining political ideas to a broad audience using everyday language without sounding condescending. Over the coming months he will appeal to American values like freedom, equality, and civil rights in a way that will convince many undecideds.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 3:59 pm

mushroo wrote:
Yay!

Of course it won't cost him the election, it was a shrewd and well-timed political maneuver. (Not doubting his sincerity at all.)
Obama is exceptional at explaining political ideas to a broad audience using everyday language without sounding condescending. Over the coming months he will appeal to American values like freedom, equality, and civil rights in a way that will convince many undecideds.

I certainly hope so. If anything, the youth support, which seemed to be lackluster this time around, will probably be energized by this.
And if Obama does lose because of the gay marriage issue, at least he'll be losing for doing the right thing.

soutthpaw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2012, 4:04 pm

I am glad he did too.. He should denounce all laws that are created solely on religious doctrine and beliefs. which are even disputed by some members of said religions.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 4:09 pm

The only thing I wonder about is whether Biden's comment a few days ago was scripted, or if he inadvertently forced OB's hand.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 4:16 pm

Okay fine, whatever. We've already had this in Canada for quite some time, way to go US, do you want a trophy? :roll:

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 4:26 pm

mushroo wrote:
The only thing I wonder about is whether Biden's comment a few days ago was scripted, or if he inadvertently forced OB's hand.

He's pulled an amazing long con on us is his mouth doesn't actually outrun his brain as often as it seems.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 4:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Okay fine, whatever. We've already had this in Canada for quite some time, way to go US, do you want a trophy? :roll:

Nah, no trophy necessary, just keep sending us your hydroelectric power, kind bud, and delicious maple syrup. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 4:53 pm

mushroo wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Nah, no trophy necessary, just keep sending us your hydroelectric power, kind bud, and delicious maple syrup. :)

Well, that, and universal healthcare.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 5:07 pm

President Obama is a moderate and a centrist. And yes, I'm quite aware that so-called 'conservatives' make wild claims to the contrary (what is it that you're 'conserving'? :wink: )

Gay rights is now a mainstream issue. I think currently somewhat more than 50% of Americans think gay persons should have the same right to marry as anyone else.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 8:35 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

Gay rights is now a mainstream issue. I think currently somewhat more than 50% of Americans think gay persons should have the same right to marry as anyone else.

Last I heard was 50% thought gay marriage should be legal, 48% thought it shouldn't, and 2% were unsure.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 8:41 pm

If 98% thought it should be illegal and only 2% supported it, I would still argue it should be legal, as a civil rights issue. An unpopular minority should not be denied equal civil rights simply on the basis of being an unpopular minority, in my opinion. Our legal system is not based on "what is 51% popular?" as a guiding principle!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 10:32 pm

Quote:
The President comes out in support of gay marriage!

Big surprise there............ :roll:

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 10:42 pm

I read "The president comes out...." and my heart skipped a beat!

TEASE!! !

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 10:53 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

Not in North Carolina, according to the amendment that just passed. I think that the president's statement was in protest to NC, as it came very quickly afterwards. If more than 50% think that, then they are not voting, as there are several other states with amendments or statutes that have been passed by popular vote to ban same sex marriage.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2012, 11:20 pm

I personally favor traditional marriage but my take is I see it more as a State's Rights issue than a equality one. IMHO, a compromise, I think the government should leave it to the people themselves to decide, leave government out of it, I tend to lean libertarian here but under our legal system, the Constitution is silent here on a Federal level so it is up to each State to decide. Under our system, basically we let the States decide a lot of things, at least we should, and you might end up with a mosaic of laws and customs that are tailored to the people of each State much like it was 200 years ago. Generally I have a different take than most here, some see it as a equality issue or a privacy issue (4th Amendment) but I see it as a more of a 10th Amendment issue. Needless to say, I get it on both sides. I guess if put to the test myself, I'd vote it down, I do have my preference and principles but I'm willing to accept the compromise I lined out above which is the best option. Leave it to the churches and individuals in question although again, legally, leave it to the States.

I don't like judges deciding this, let the people decide and there is the legislative process that can be used too. As Sgt. Joe Friday said in "Dragnet 1967," "if you don't like the law as it is, work within the system to change it." Both side of the issue have access to that.

I think the Administration is trying the same tactic the old guy in the movie "Up," where he distracted the dogs by yelling "Squirrel!" and throwing the dogs off their path. IT is to distract us from our real problems.

I think we have more problems than this and, yes, I'm paleo-libertarian/conservative, which side I fall on depends on the issue, I really don't fit into labels. Really, if I lose on this issue, so be it, but I'm more worried about the economy, Iran, other foreign policy issues, putting food on the table, gas prices and generally don't like the direction our current leadership is taking us. I see this as an attempt by the current leader to divide us more and a diversion to the real issues mentioned above. Straight or gay and so on, we all face those same issues of trying to survive. Seriously, this is among the last things to worry about. We need to quit hurting each other and concentrate on our real problems.