The President comes out in support of gay marriage!

Page 4 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:56 am

Better late than never. Now the Obama campaign can use this clip in their commercials:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRN9Y5Nvdqk[/youtube]

mattking96
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2012, 6:47 am

And that's why I hate Mitt Romney.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:19 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
I have seen that analogy made before, but I don't find it convincing. There isn't any way to make a definition of marriage that makes sense that excludes interracial marriage, but there is for gay marriage.

It isn't that I can't see how someone could see it that way, but that I can't see how they could say the other position can't make sense.

It isn't a question of whether there is a definition that makes sense--it's a question of whether you can make a definition that does not offend the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

There are many things that legislatures attempt to legislate that make sense--but if they offend the Constitution, they are void, insofar as they do so. It is not a case of whether same sex marriage is better, worse or incomparable with heterosexual marriage. It is a case of the law creating a benefit for one class of people and denying it to another class of people, without being able to demonstrate a public policy interest of sufficient merit to justify the constitutional offence.

I am perfectly comfortable with a person who believes that the purpose of marriage is procreation. But I am not content that they would attempt to impose that belief on other people.

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2012, 1:34 pm

visagrunt wrote:
It isn't a question of whether there is a definition that makes sense--it's a question of whether you can make a definition that does not offend the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

There are many things that legislatures attempt to legislate that make sense--but if they offend the Constitution, they are void, insofar as they do so.

Um . . . not quite. Such laws would be void if and only if the Supreme Court rules them unconstitutional. The 14th amendment became part of the U.S. constitution in 1868, but for nearly a century, we had segregated schools, grossly unequal justice, laws banning interracial marriage, & a rigid racial caste system in place across much of the country.

As it would relate to gay rights, in Bowers v. Hardwick in 1986, the Supreme Court voted 5-4 to uphold state sodomy laws, which criminalized consensual homosexual relations between adults, even in the privacy of the home. This decision was finally reversed in Lawrence v. Texas in 2003 by a 6-3 vote, with the majority striking down the Texas sodomy law on privacy grounds (4th amendment) and a concurring opinion striking them down on equal protection grounds (14th amendment).

The point is that it all comes down to the politics of the judges appointed to the court. Rights granted at one point in time can be taken away at another. Ultimately, the constitution that we're all taught to view with reverence is just words on a piece of paper. Besides, we all know that the conservative majority on the court today will choose to cite or ignore precedent in order to get the result it wants.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

18 May 2012, 1:40 am

The reasons against gay marriage make about as much sense as selling your prettiest daughter to a man in return for 6 yoke of oxen

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 1:43 am

jojobean wrote:
The reasons against gay marriage make about as much sense as selling your prettiest daughter to a man in return for 6 yoke of oxen

Well, those six yoke of oxen would be pretty... No...no...

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 3:09 am

jojobean wrote:

That depends on where you are. The girl-to-yokes-of-oxen exchange rate varies geographically

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

mushroo wrote:
I read "The president comes out...." and my heart skipped a beat!

TEASE!! !

Me too!! ! :lmao:

rileyup
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2012, 6:24 am

soutthpaw wrote:
I am glad he did too.. He should denounce all laws that are created solely on religious doctrine and beliefs. which are even disputed by some members of said religions.

i wish all presidents were like that ,obama did the right thing

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

I'm happy but I question the motives a bit.

Obama comes out in support on the day that 40% of WV Democrats say they'd rather have a felon in jail than Obama.

And now...

The day after Scott Walker wins, Hoyer's daughter comes out as gay.

I think Democrats are milking the gay issue as bad as Republicans milk the abortion issue.

Which really just tells me neither side wants to confront the hard issues.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

I am happy about this but it could hurt his chances of being elected again.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

Joker wrote:

Or it could just energize his youth base in a way that has not been seen since his first campaign.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Or it could just energize his youth base in a way that has not been seen since his first campaign.

True but their are way more older people in america then their are youth.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Then again, not every older American is against gay marriage.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:

Then again, not every older American is against gay marriage.

Outside of the south yes that is true.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugQfO31Wcgw[/youtube]

I would like to thank VP Biden for doing what he always does: put his foot in his mouth and force Obama to take a position on something.