Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 8:29 pm

Rabies? How does that present in humans?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

Generally speaking the first symptoms are flu-like. Later development has a range of symptoms, and there is no singular presentation. So much so that unless there is evidence of an animal bite or some other reason to suspect rabies exposure a patient with rabies might never be diagnosed.

There was a case in medical literature of a patient who was only diagnosed two months post-mortem: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000640.htm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Generally speaking the first symptoms are flu-like. Later development has a range of symptoms, and there is no singular presentation. So much so that unless there is evidence of an animal bite or some other reason to suspect rabies exposure a patient with rabies might never be diagnosed.

There was a case in medical literature of a patient who was only diagnosed two months post-mortem: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000640.htm

Was it ever determined how this man had contracted rabies?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 1:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Not that I am aware of.

Rabies can have a hugely variable incubation period--I think there are clinical cases of as much as six years. Even the typical interval of 2 to 12 weeks gives plenty of time for minor bite to heal before symptoms develop, so absent a report of a bite from the patient (I seem to recall there was a language barrier) there would be no way to know.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Not that I am aware of.

Rabies can have a hugely variable incubation period--I think there are clinical cases of as much as six years. Even the typical interval of 2 to 12 weeks gives plenty of time for minor bite to heal before symptoms develop, so absent a report of a bite from the patient (I seem to recall there was a language barrier) there would be no way to know.

Six years?!?!?!
That would mean someone could be bitten by an infected animal, then forget all about the incident long before symptoms appear.
I might even blow off an animal bite if the incubation period is just six to twelve weeks.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

edgewaters wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
So here's a twist--looks like bath salts were not involved:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le4375116/

Uh-oh ... it's ... Reefer Madness!! !

Marijuana causes rabies!...would be a good title of an article on this in The Onion.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 10:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
I don't think it was caused by marijuana, either. But it now means that someone is going to have to find something other than bath salts to scapegoat.

And maybe, just maybe, the woeful state of mental health care just might come under the microscope.

Maybe . .. that would be a good result. I hate to think what was going on with him to do something like that.

There was a case in Canada a few years ago about a man who cut off the head of the guy sitting next to him on a coach bus. He was found to be schizophrenic, but that doesn't change the horror of the act.

It's scary, the sh** that can happen. Preventing it is the best option, but it can never be 100%.

It would have been better if the scapegoat was the bath salts.

I think you can probably make a good case for the face eating zombie having been schizophrenic - - though as he's now dead, there's no way to prove it for sure.

Checking the historic medical record, schizophrenia is a recently made up word without meaning. Also there are no face eating cases connected. Demonic Possession does fit, and there were many cases.

Just like the Plague Of... where most died, there were also things like the Dancing Madness, dance till you drop dead, which only affected some of the population, unlike the plagues that killed two out of three.

Demonic Possession has also come in waves. It is documented just as the strange sights in the sky were, the rains of stones, the great daylight comet, that filled the whole sky and was seen during the day.

These things did happen, and while I do think there was some over reaction, some church use of one thing for another, Demonic Possession is recorded. Simple pesents who suddenly start speaking another language, even Latin, who vary from elementals, who would eat a face, to very learned, who know what underwear priests wear.

Like the movie, based on a real case, beds do float, super powers are seen, control of the things we cannot. At least most of us. While some stories fit mental illness, going from farm hand to speaking Latin does not, and there are modern cases where the person is just replaced. They become someone else, and just continue. It often happens when life is barly hanging on, near death, the person recovers as someone else. Walk ins.

Sometimes they start eating faces and such behaviors, and burning at the stake was not started by the church. The Class, Unclean Spirits, was known from long ago. Like the movie, the church was called to show it's power over evil, and often lost. Just killing the host freed the spirit, to posses someone else, but burning them alive did seem to work.

It did come in waves, many were possessed, and the modern view has been Mass hysteria, Swamp Gas, to explain records of twenty demons burned in a village in 757 AD. It was not an everyday event, but still common over cultures at a distance, over time. Every now and then, it becomes a problem.

A lot of religion, a loose term, seems to be for keeping the dead dead. Bodies burned, stake through the heart.

The dead returning and taking over the living seems a worldwide story.

It did seem to come in waves. keep watching the news.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Rabies is associated with vampires, not zombies. It has been known to exist for over 3,000 years, and some reports of 'vampires' over history were actually people infected with the disease.

But I am being pedantic here of course.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 6:41 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

Rabies is associated with vampires, not zombies. It has been known to exist for over 3,000 years, and some reports of 'vampires' over history were actually people infected with the disease.

But I am being pedantic here of course.

Not at all. I enjoy learning something new like that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:36 pm

Fangs for the memories.

ruveyn