Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:01 pm

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2012, 2:21 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/even_police_shocked_by_gore_in.html

... or just bad drugs?

Thank you so much for providing this link! I had been looking all day to find out about the identities of these men (I don't know why, I think I have a thing for this type of news).

Recently, I got into watching The Walking Dead and I have to say, this event does remind me of it a little bit. Sources reported the naked man might have been in what is called a cocaine psychosis, which leads users to take their clothes of due to the feeling of the body burning up.

I've been reading other stories that remind me of zombie narratives I know of. It seems many people find a zombie apocalypse something so unreal that they don't fear it could actually happen. But then again, every zombie movie starts with one infection, right?

It's a little sad to say, but I think all those people over at the humor websites like 9gag providing tips and ideas on what weapons and tactics to use during an apocalypse will be laughing when it turns out that there actually is one.

But, for now, let's just sit back and try to fathom the fact that cannibalism occurred in the streets of America.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:28 pm

I read that the man had a knife and stabbed himself repeatedly, hacked off his skin and cut out his intestines and throw it at police.

8O

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 6:21 pm

nortier wrote:
Recently, I got into watching The Walking Dead and I have to say, this event does remind me of it a little bit. Sources reported the naked man might have been in what is called a cocaine psychosis, which leads users to take their clothes of due to the feeling of the body burning up.

I got totally into "The Walking Dead;" can't wait for the third season. I think it probably was drug related. Still, horrible to think of something like that happening.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 11:04 pm

snapcap wrote:
I read that the man had a knife and stabbed himself repeatedly, hacked off his skin and cut out his intestines and throw it at police.

8O

Actually, this was apart of an entirely different story in New Jersey.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:23 am

Zombie? Well, that fits. I was actually thinking werewolf, myself.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 9:35 am

snapcap wrote:
snapcap wrote:

8O

Actually, this was apart of an entirely different story in New Jersey.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1086266

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 11:09 am

nortier wrote:
It's a little sad to say, but I think all those people over at the humor websites like 9gag providing tips and ideas on what weapons and tactics to use during an apocalypse will be laughing when it turns out that there actually is one.

But, for now, let's just sit back and try to fathom the fact that cannibalism occurred in the streets of America.

Not to mention they'd be completely unprepared. I'd be surprised if most of them had even seen a functioning firearm. If they had, they'd probably not pick heavy automatic or semi-automatic rifles. If you have to carry one of those around, especially in a crowded area, you're much slower. They're very heavy, especially if you take into account several rounds of ammunition you'd need so you wouldn't just be carrying an expensive, uncomfortable club. And even if you managed to carry one, you'd hardly hit anything by randomly firing it, as their tactics seem to imply. You'd probably have a better chance of damaging your rifle than hitting a zombie a hundred metres away. And really, it's not your goal to murder as many as possible - your goal is to stay alive, something which involves just running for it rather than killing people even in most current-day military situations.

My tactic would probably involve going to the closest local yacht harbour. These are usually far away from most housing, so you'll have less competition. You'd be surprised how many seaworthy yachts they have near most rivers, and how well-prepared some of them are. In some cases, they're probably easier to control than cars. And the moment you've hit the water, you're at a huge advantage over those who are not. Even if zombies swim as 'normal people' would, they can hardly reach your speed and exhaust their muscles trying to. You can simply sail to an estuary, and look for people who can help you there. Alternatively, you can find ships moored outside harbours - usually, large ships carrying literal tonnes of supplies waiting for a tow boat that will never arrive.

The story itself is rather nasty. That must have been one nasty drug-induced psychosis. The guy who did it seems to have a tattoo on his neck and a criminal record.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:09 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
My tactic would probably involve going to the closest local yacht harbour. These are usually far away from most housing, so you'll have less competition. You'd be surprised how many seaworthy yachts they have near most rivers, and how well-prepared some of them are. In some cases, they're probably easier to control than cars. And the moment you've hit the water, you're at a huge advantage over those who are not. Even if zombies swim as 'normal people' would, they can hardly reach your speed and exhaust their muscles trying to. You can simply sail to an estuary, and look for people who can help you there.

Sounds like a good plan - they tried it in "Dawn of the Dead." Just have to be careful of the islands.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:28 pm

I'll add Dawn of the Dead to my watch list, then. Should prove useful during December's apocalypse. :)

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 1:15 pm

They should use the cannibalism video in an old-school "this is your brain on drugs" public service announcement. :D

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 1:33 pm

It would be better than anything they've used so far - none of it really scared me. In announcements against fireworks, they now use mutilated hands. Even that isn't really scary. But I suppose seeing a face eaten to the skull is pretty scary. Especially if it's real, because you can justify not being scared if it's a special effect.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:34 pm

If Zombies start to rise I can stop buying video games and start killing them for real. But I have read in news reports that their not sure if drugs played a role in this bizzare case.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:48 pm

I heard it was DMT related.

A bit different, but when I heard the story I immediately thought "Don't do the brown acid!"

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:23 pm

Hmm never heard of DMT.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:49 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I heard it was DMT related.

A bit different, but when I heard the story I immediately thought "Don't do the brown acid!"

Source?