Page 4 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2012, 9:38 pm

Why do you think so many killers like this one are described as having Aspie traits? The number of suspected aspies is disproportionately high and it is not usually associated with homocide or even serial killing, but with gunmen.

Being a psychopath seems much more logical, but still they are mostly described as high-functioning autistic types.

Has anyone ever done a study whether Aspies are more prone to this kind of crime than to others?

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm

The only thing that stops media irresponsibility is lawsuits.
Mr. Lanza could have had a SWAT team surrounding him when he got to to town, could have been hurt/killed by a distraught parent/relative of a victim.
Mr. Lanza should sue somebody's socks off.

Enough successful lawsuits will stop reporting without verification of facts.

Money talks.

Sylkat

severian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

So what if he had Aspergers, ASD, or OCD?

My lingering questions are around how he had access to his mother's arsenal, which seems overkill for an upper-class Connecticut neighborhood - and I have questions about that as well...

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:46 pm

We hear about a spree killer being on the spectrum, but we do not hear that another murderer is NOT, so an idea is planted that we have more of a potential for violence than NTs.

We don't.

Sylkat

CosmicCastaway
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

Great. Like it isn't enough that my roommate routinely likes to tell people that I "have no emotions" since I told her about my Aspergers diagnosis. Now these blowhards in the media are distorting soundbites the psychiatrists are putting out there to portray Aspies as potential sociopaths. Worst of all this is almost wishing me wish that I couldn't feel anything because this shooting has royally pissed me off.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2012, 9:50 pm

Sylkat wrote:
We hear about a spree killer being on the spectrum, but we do not hear that another murderer is NOT, so an idea is planted that we have more of a potential for violence than NTs.

We don't.

Sylkat

How many gunmen had not been at least suspected of having some form of autism during the last decade?

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 9:52 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Don't you just love how the media starts throwing out random names without even having the facts? At first, reported Adam Lanza's 24 y o brother was the killer. His brother is a professional tax guy with a career, very successful, and at work when this happened yet the media goes and blabs and claims he is actually the killer. It's so annoying. Lately media has been in irritation overdrive. Man, if the media reported something like that about me, I would be pissed as hell.

That's because the shooter, Adam Ryan Lanza, has a similar name to his brother Ryan Lanza, which led to the confusion. His brother has already been cleared of any wrongdoing, but you can't take any chances with this kind of thing, it's just unfortunate that the innocent brother was treated as a suspect.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

CosmicCastaway wrote:
Great. Like it isn't enough that my roommate routinely likes to tell people that I "have no emotions" since I told her about my Aspergers diagnosis. Now these blowhards in the media are distorting soundbites the psychiatrists are putting out there to portray Aspies as potential sociopaths. Worst of all this is almost wishing me wish that I couldn't feel anything because this shooting has royally pissed me off.

You cannot discount the possibility that he was an Aspie and overtime his emotional issues morphed into psychopathy. This has been known to happen, albeit it is rare.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

Sylkat wrote:

We don't.

Sylkat

That's open for debate.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:57 pm

Disraeli wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Don't you just love how the media starts throwing out random names without even having the facts? At first, reported Adam Lanza's 24 y o brother was the killer. His brother is a professional tax guy with a career, very successful, and at work when this happened yet the media goes and blabs and claims he is actually the killer. It's so annoying. Lately media has been in irritation overdrive. Man, if the media reported something like that about me, I would be pissed as hell.

That's because the shooter, Adam Ryan Lanza, has a similar name to his brother Ryan Lanza, which led to the confusion. His brother has already been cleared of any wrongdoing, but you can't take any chances with this kind of thing, it's just unfortunate that the innocent brother was treated as a suspect.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm

severian wrote:

The possibility that something like this could be preventable with adequate help and treatment.

severian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

BraveMurderDay wrote:
severian wrote:

The possibility that something like this could be preventable with adequate help and treatment.

Yes, that's true. My ASD brother and I have been discussing this on Facebook, the lack of available care options, but then, this family, at least on the surface of the little information that the media have released, appeared to have the means for that care, unlike a good portion of Americans.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 10:07 pm

Dear Cosmic Castaway, you have expressed this well...
We all have people who do not understand us and think they do,and every misrepresentation intensifies general mistrust or suspicion of us, or justifies people being uncomfortable around us.
Your term 'blowhard' is exact. Having a degree does not give anyone the authority to diagnose a dead person.
'...portray Aspies as potential sociopaths...', yeah, this gets people to watch the news, and sell advertising, but does NOTHING to help me be better understood by NTs who are subconsciously told that we may be dangerous.

Dear little-black-sheep, 'suspected' is not diagnosed.
Someone who simply hates people in general, or who may have raging paranoia, thinks the lizard-people-aliens are taking over, or whose world is coming apart and decides to take as many people out just because he is evil (Gene Simmons, Leonard Lake, John Allan Muhammed), have nothing to do with Autism or Asperger's.

Sylkat

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 10:14 pm

Disraeli wrote:

You cannot discount the possibility that he was an Aspie and overtime his emotional issues morphed into psychopathy. This has been known to happen, albeit it is rare.

naaaa... psychopaths have great skills in manipulation and deceit, aspies can never become a psychopath
The quacks usually change the diagnosis from ASD to schizophrenia once something like this occurs
Face it people, an aspie can kill, and do.
What is happening now since Columbine, is copycat shootings by disgruntled loner bullied students, who in no way could be autistic :roll:

Kind of similar behaviour to a terrorist bomber, but with a less direct political agenda, but a definite agenda against bullying, none the less

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 10:46 pm

Surfman wrote:
Disraeli wrote:

naaaa... psychopaths have great skills in manipulation and deceit, aspies can never become a psychopath
The quacks usually change the diagnosis from ASD to schizophrenia once something like this occurs
Face it people, an aspie can kill, and do.
What is happening now since Columbine, is copycat shootings by disgruntled loner bullied students, who in no way could be autistic :roll:

Kind of similar behaviour to a terrorist bomber, but with a less direct political agenda, but a definite agenda against bullying, none the less

I agree that Aspies are not likely to become psychopaths, but I think it is also not out of the realm of possibility a killer could also be an Aspie. Are we forgetting William Freund?

That being said as the reporting draws on there seems to be a lot of misinformation about Asperger's in the media at this point, and ultimately does it matter whether he was bullied, Autistic, schizophrenic, etc., we will never know what this guys motivation was, and we have over 20 children dead.

Although even if he was bullied killing a bunch of kids isn't going to make your life any better and certainly is not an excuse. So I don't really get where people are going with that. Tons of kids are bullied and don't grow up to be mass murderers either.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

CosmicCastaway wrote:

I am NEVER coming out.

I'd rather live a lie and be miserable than reveal the truth now and risk a lynch mob.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.