Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 5:58 pm

But if you go to that link, it claims that ABC News is reporting that the shooter was said to have Asperger's, and it gives a link to an ABC News page... that doesn't contain the word "Asperger."

Last edited by bicentennialman on 14 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:59 pm

Yes. That's the same one the OP linked to.

Right above your post bicentennialman

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

Even if people with Asperger's were to be banned from getting guns... so what? You won't be able to go hunting. That's hardly the END OF THE WORLD, is it?

The bigger problem is how people's image of people with Asperger's may morph into us all being gun-toting outcasts who commit shootings to take our revenge on the society that rejected us.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

bicentennialman wrote:
But if you go to that link, it claims that ABC News is reporting that the shooter was said to have Asperger's, and it gives a link to an ABC News page... that doesn't contain the word "Asperger."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... a-Asperger

ABC are the only one's reporting it that I've found so far.

Quote:
According to ABC News, Ryan Lanza, the older brother of 20-year-old Connecticut school massacre perpetrator Adam Lanza, has told police that his brother has Asperger Syndrome and another “personality disorder.” ABC News reports:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

McCool
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2012, 6:14 pm

Who knows? It is impossible to separate fact from speculation at this point. For half the day, Ryan Lanza was labeled as the shooter. I'm sure they'll have it all sorted out some time next week.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 6:15 pm

That blog post only directly attributes the words "personality disorder" and "displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder" to ABC News, and it provides a link (click on the word "told") to an ABC News story.

If ABC News is really reporting that people have said the shooter had Asperger's, then I ought to be able to find where they said it on that site. But if you click on the word "told" and search for "Asperger," it's not there. So where did it come from?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:17 pm

bicentennialman wrote:
That blog post only directly attributes the words "personality disorder" and "displaying characteristics associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder" to ABC News, and it provides a link (click on the word "told") to an ABC News story.

If ABC News is really reporting that people have said the shooter had Asperger's, then I ought to be able to find where they said it on that site. But if you click on the word "told" and search for "Asperger," it's not there. So where did it come from?

8O

Nice catch!! ! I can't believe I missed that!! !! As usual, it's a damned internet rumor!! !! !

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

All it takes is one idiot blogger to post a claim that some major new organization reported something and all of a sudden it's all over the internet.

People, here is the LIVE page from ABC news regarding the shooting. Asperger is mentioned NOWHERE on the page.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -shooting/

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:35 pm

It will be swept under the rug, like other bullied aspies who kill out of rage for [perceived or real] ill treatment
I wonder how many spree shooters will happen next year

Good ole' US of A
eh?

By avoiding the issues of bullying and aspies..... more killings will most probably occur.

My guess is the authorities will never make aspergers and shootings public, and if they do anything at all, it will probably be an amendment to gun laws

Any 'aspergians can be killers' media will tear everything apart and create widespread havoc.
I'm all for the publicity, as an agent for change re: society, aspies and bullying, but doubt it will ever occur

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:54 pm

I heard them mention on tv that he may have a mental disorder, and I know they did mention asperger's. I also think they said he could have OCD.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

Oh great another aspie shooter? Or another shooter suspected to be aspie? I bet ya that every single major shooting that occurs, there must be a thread somewhere on here suspecting the shooter is aspie.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

I really wish these anti-bullying ads would actually reflect situations like this.

You see this shooter as a monster. Now here's all the people in his life who bullied and abused him until he finally snapped and lost his mind. Bullying can kill people. :x

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 6:59 pm

Surfman wrote:
It will be swept under the rug, like other bullied aspies who kill out of rage for [perceived or real] ill treatment
I wonder how many spree shooters will happen next year

Good ole' US of A
eh?

By avoiding the issues of bullying and aspies..... more killings will most probably occur.

My guess is the authorities will never make aspergers and shootings public, and if they do anything at all, it will probably be an amendment to gun laws

Any 'aspergians can be killers' media will tear everything apart and create widespread havoc.
I'm all for the publicity, as an agent for change re: society, aspies and bullying, but doubt it will ever occur

Ummm even if he was bullied what did THAT have to do with the innocent kids some as young as 5! This is the kind of crap that permeates the neurodiversity movement. And there's no evidence he was bullied. Why because his mom was "strict". What a brat. This guy deserve NO SYMPATHY WHAT SO EVER!

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 7:01 pm

MrXxx wrote:
All it takes is one idiot blogger to post a claim that some major new organization reported something and all of a sudden it's all over the internet.

People, here is the LIVE page from ABC news regarding the shooting. Asperger is mentioned NOWHERE on the page.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -shooting/

No you are wrong I was watching ABC News and one of the reporters mentioned it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Dec 2012, 7:03 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to News and Current Events]