Administrator

14 Dec 2012, 7:03 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to News and Current Events]

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:11 pm

modernmax wrote:
I heard them mention on tv that he may have a mental disorder, and I know they did mention asperger's. I also think they said he could have OCD.

It sounds like talking heads trying to fill airtime even though they don't know WTF they are talking about.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/connecticut- ... to-report/

Here's a report on the report.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:20 pm

nonsense,i have heard nothing in the media about the shooter having aspergers

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

A Daily Beast Article reports:

Quote:
ABC News reports that Ryan Lanza told authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a personality disorder. Neighbors have described him as "odd" and said he behaves as if he has an obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Only Adam Lanza's brother has said anything remotely reputable about this, which does not make it "official".

ABC News Live Updates now reports:

Quote:
4:52 p.m: Neighbors described Adam Lanza to ABC as "odd" and displaying characteristics associated with mental illness.

Unless those neighbors are all appropriately trained and licensed mental health professionals, their opinions are meaningless.

Please, let's keep the speculation to the barest minimum, unless you can provide working links to your sources.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 14 Dec 2012, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Oh great another aspie shooter? Or another shooter suspected to be aspie?

For the public, same thing.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/connecticut-shooter-allegedly-developmentally-disabled-girlfriend-missing-according-to-report/

Here's a report on the report.

Well, the Fox clip mentioned developmental disabilities. The blog says ABC said it, but it's not on ABC now, but AP does have this:

Quote:
Ryan Lanza told law enforcement that his brother was believed to suffer from a personality disorder and be "somewhat autistic" and lived with the mother in Connecticut, the third official added.

(bolding added)

I bet this is where it all really started. Close, but no cigar. Still people are likely to latch onto it.

It's already being latched onto right here. :?

The key words are "believed to be." Far cry from "is."

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to add the link: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-sourc ... ies-school

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Last edited by MrXxx on 14 Dec 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:27 pm

Aspie - No... Aspie's tend to-be logical thinkers. Psychopath schizophrenic - Yes. That's probably what he was.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

I've had CNN on and no mention of Aspergers.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:49 pm

good thing i dont come off as autistic lol...i pity those who do.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:49 pm

Disraeli wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
All it takes is one idiot blogger to post a claim that some major new organization reported something and all of a sudden it's all over the internet.

People, here is the LIVE page from ABC news regarding the shooting. Asperger is mentioned NOWHERE on the page.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -shooting/

No you are wrong I was watching ABC News and one of the reporters mentioned it.

Maybe so. That doesn't make what I said "wrong." It is not there on ABC's page any longer. I'm sure now that you did hear it, but that still doesn't mean it's accurate.

See my post above with the link from AP (which is where most major networks get their news from in the first place, and you may understand why the other networks are being a little more careful with their terminology.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

It's be interesting, and very tragic, if the guns Adam Lanza used were bought by his mother according to the following report. You'd think if you lived with an autistic son who was potentially unstable you wouldn't have firearms like that lying around. Besides, what's to fear in Newtown, CT?

Atlantic Report on Adam Lanza

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 8:01 pm

I've seen online news sites saying the older brother told police that his younger brother, the shooter was odd and had Aspergers.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 8:03 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Disraeli wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
All it takes is one idiot blogger to post a claim that some major new organization reported something and all of a sudden it's all over the internet.

People, here is the LIVE page from ABC news regarding the shooting. Asperger is mentioned NOWHERE on the page.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -shooting/

No you are wrong I was watching ABC News and one of the reporters mentioned it.

Maybe so. That doesn't make what I said "wrong." It is not there on ABC's page any longer. I'm sure now that you did hear it, but that still doesn't mean it's accurate.

See my post above with the link from AP (which is where most major networks get their news from in the first place, and you may understand why the other networks are being a little more careful with their terminology.

He had Asperger's. Get over it. Some people on the spectrum are dangerous.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 8:04 pm

Dear wtfid2, Off-topic, I know, but your dog is gorgeous!
Great Pyrenees?

Sylkat

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 8:05 pm

^^^^^^So are lots of people without Aspergers.Probably more.