Famous album designer of Dark Side of the Moon has died

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:52 am

Storm Thorgerson, the designer of the iconic album cover art for many of Pink Floyd's albums has died. He will be remembered chiefly for that one image of a prism splitting light, although he worked with over a dozen bands. His most famous work was simple and often surreal. The man shaking hands with a man who is on fire, a pig flying over Battersea power station, these are album covers that were truly artistic. Both of these were shot in real time, and did not use any "photoshopping". Storm was a good friend of David Gilmour of Pink Floyd throughout his life. His art work will provide discussion material for would be artists for many, many years to come.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:10 pm

I have yet to find out why folks on WP have such a fascination with Pink Floyd. Lots of progressive bands out there but I just seem to hear about Pink Floyd a lot. Fascinating.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 7:14 am

Because they are something special, unique, and we at WP have very good taste?

Sylkat

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:24 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Because they are something special, unique, and we at WP have very good taste?

Sylkat

Well spoken ! !!

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 11:52 pm

Thanks to his cover design I for years starting as a kid(and still do) make a connection between dark side of the moon and the allergy medicene Reactine(sp?), I agree we do have good taste and perhaps part of the appeal in the sound is becouse Pink Floyd and its signature sound was co-created by a possible aspie? No matter how sound sensitive I am at a given time they always sound good, I have recovered from a few headaches listening to them.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 12:28 am

i bought my first yes album because of the roger dean artwork. yes, i am that ancient. i was fortunate enough to see both yes and pink floyd many times in the 70's and 80's.

the 87 pink floyd tour was my favorite.

i look at modern music and artists and can only say wtf.