Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/27/t ... udy-shows/

Seriously? :roll:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

A friend of mine gets considerably higher than me, so do his high school grades.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 3:52 pm

Cannabis only impairs its' users if they let it, it's not as if one joint dissolves one's powers of concentration.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 5:22 pm

The kids who excel in school due to economic privilege are probably also the ones most likely to smoke pot because they have the money without parental oversight strings attached to buy it.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 5:29 pm

Yeah... pot is a mental retardant... One of the worst things teens can do is smoke pot on a regular basis. It's as bad as alcohol.

Teens really need to stay away from all intoxicants. Fat chance of that...

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 6:19 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Yeah... pot is a mental retardant...One of the worst things teens can do is smoke pot on a regular basis. It's as bad as alcohol.

Teens really need to stay away from all intoxicants. Fat chance of that...

citations, please.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 6:36 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/27/teens-who-smoke-marijuana-do-better-in-school-than-cigarette-smokers-study-shows/

Quote:
Study: Pot use before 18 harms adult IQ, memory

A long-term study has concluded for the first time that regular marijuana use before age 18 causes significant and lasting harm to intelligence, attention span and memory.

The study, which tracked more than 1,000 New Zealanders from birth to 38, found an average eight-point decline in IQ among "persistent, dependent" users of marijuana younger than 18. About 5% of the study group were considered "marijuana-dependent" -- using more than once a week before they were 18 years old, according to the news release.

Quitting did not appear to reverse the effects, and the IQ decline could not be explained by alcohol, other drug use or by having less education, said lead researcher Madeline Meier at Duke University.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... n-memory/1

I''m allright Jack, went to live in Amsterdam just after my 18th :D

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 6:45 pm

guzzle wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/27/teens-who-smoke-marijuana-do-better-in-school-than-cigarette-smokers-study-shows/

Quote:
Study: Pot use before 18 harms adult IQ, memory

A long-term study has concluded for the first time that regular marijuana use before age 18 causes significant and lasting harm to intelligence, attention span and memory.

The study, which tracked more than 1,000 New Zealanders from birth to 38, found an average eight-point decline in IQ among "persistent, dependent" users of marijuana younger than 18. About 5% of the study group were considered "marijuana-dependent" -- using more than once a week before they were 18 years old, according to the news release.

Quitting did not appear to reverse the effects, and the IQ decline could not be explained by alcohol, other drug use or by having less education, said lead researcher Madeline Meier at Duke University.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... n-memory/1

I''m allright Jack, went to live in Amsterdam just after my 18th :D

have these results been repeated by other researchers or is there just the single study of 1000 people in new zealand? i need a little more evidence than that before i give a claim credence.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:12 pm

I didn't smoke a lot of weed in High School, though in my 20s I probably went through several acre's worth. :drunken:

The very first time I ever smoked pot, though, was during a lunch break in my sophomore year and I can tell you unequivocally, it did not, nor would it ever, have made me a better student - it certainly didn't help me in history class that afternoon. You cannot focus on learning while you're stoned and your short term memory can't retain anything long enough to recall it ten minutes later, much less pass a test the next day. The very notion is ludicrous.

Nicotine, on the other hand, is a mild stimulant, and brings the mind to a sharper focus. I don't know that it would improve your performance as a student, but it couldn't possibly cause you to do any worse than you would stoned.

That's not to recommend or condemn either, but the very idea that stoners are better students than cigarette smokers (and how many do both? - I did) is absolutely, patently ridiculous. I have to question the scientific credibility and/or the motives of anyone who makes such an outrageously fallacious statement.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:18 pm

Willard wrote:
I didn't smoke a lot of weed in High School, though in my 20s I probably went through several acre's worth. :drunken:

The very first time I ever smoked pot, though, was during a lunch break in my sophomore year and I can tell you unequivocally, it did not, nor would it ever, have made me a better student - it certainly didn't help me in history class that afternoon. You cannot focus on learning while you're stoned and your short term memory can't retain anything long enough to recall it ten minutes later, much less pass a test the next day. The very notion is ludicrous.

Nicotine, on the other hand, is a mild stimulant, and brings the mind to a sharper focus. I don't know that it would improve your performance as a student, but it couldn't possibly cause you to do any worse than you would stoned.

That's not to recommend or condemn either, but the very idea that stoners are better students than cigarette smokers (and how many do both? - I did) is absolutely, patently ridiculous. I have to question the scientific credibility and/or the motives of anyone who makes such an outrageously fallacious statement.

"Researchers from the University of Toronto’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health analyzed data from a survey administered to nearly 39,000 Ontario students between 1981 and 2011. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health asked students in Grades 7, 9 and 11 about their tobacco and marijuana use, and their academic performance."

sounds reasonably credible to me.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

Is it really surprising that pot smokers performed “relatively” better than cigarette smokers but neither out-performed those smart enough to be non-smokers.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:39 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Is it really surprising that pot smokers performed “relatively” better than cigarette smokers but neither out-performed those smart enough to be non-smokers.

neither were they outperformed by non-smokers.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

^^^
From the article:

Quote:
The Canadian study, published in the March edition of the Journal of School Health, found pot smokers performed “relatively” better than cigarette smokers, but they didn’t out-perform non-users.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:55 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
^^^
From the article:
Quote:
The Canadian study, published in the March edition of the Journal of School Health, found pot smokers performed “relatively” better than cigarette smokers, but they didn’t out-perform non-users.

yes, but that doesn't mean that the non-smokers did better than the cigarette or pot smokers, only that they (non-smokers) weren't outperform by smokers. they could have performed equally well, it doesn't specify (at least not in the abstract of the study, i can't access the full text of the article to compare the two groups).

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 8:04 pm

^^^
With that snippet and based on the title, I think it can be safely inferred that non-smokers outperformed them all.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 8:29 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
^^^
With that snippet and based on the title, I think it can be safely inferred that non-smokers outperformed them all.

i'd rather see numbers than just speculate.