David Byrne says he "had Asperger's"

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 8:35 am

Locustman wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I've been following David Byrne's blog for years (and a fan of his music since the 70's) so this revelation is old news. He put it in his blog back in 2006.

http://journal.davidbyrne.com/

Sure, I like his music too - better than that of the Vines or Gary Numan, in fact. Although I'm not sure if I own enough of his albums to call myself a fan, I do really like "Remain in Light", and the "My Life in the Buish of Ghosts" collaboration that he did with Brian Eno - that was such an obvious precursor to a lot of the electronica I liked in the early 90s that my jaw dropped when I was told it had been recorded ten years before. His Luaka Bop label has put out loads of cool Latin American music as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to read that whole blog as I'm on my lunchbreak at work, but does it mention whether or not he had an independent diagnosis, or whether he's self-diagnosed?

In his blog he says "most likely" Asperger's. That makes it sound self-diagnosed to me.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 1:42 pm

Well, if such does turn out to be true, I'd not be surprised as, the drummer for the band"Rush" has Asperger Syndrome however, one does not outgrow AS as, probably an individual learns how to better react in some situations perhaps..That's the best I'm able to offer at this moment..

auralsculpture
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2009, 6:20 pm

The discussion between Byrne and Daniel Levitin in Seed magazine is interesting in that Levitin has a strong interest in Williams Syndrome, which is almost opposite aspergers in symptoms, but has strong musicality. I know many musicians and other creative people with ASD or heightened autistic traits - it is the subject of my Doctoral thesis (when it is finished it will be an open website and I'll post a link here)

I have Aspergers, am 42 and a successful musician and academic. My diagnosis is described as "residual" - meaning that I a definitely fit the criteria for traits etc but I have developed coping mechanisms over time (mostly cognitive processes) and the impact is lessened (but certainly not removed.
No you don't "grow out of it", you learn to work around it to some degree, to hide it and to "pretend to be normal"

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2009, 6:30 pm

Yes. Byrne is also in the position where he can make a living by going around go around the world working with his favourite artists and doing things like turning entire buildings into musical instruments. He can get away with acting strange :lol: Image

cc469
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2009, 5:05 pm

Is that the guy on the vidya?
his shoulders are two heads length on each side...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

I don't know much about him, but I heard an interview with him on NPR today, and as I was listening to it I was thinking "it sounds a little like he might have Aspergers" and sure enough AS was brought up.

I guess you can outgrow AS through technicalities in the criteria, but your brain is still autistic.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

jelibean wrote:
:D Once HAD Aspergers but grew out of it?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO!! !! !!

Poor lamb, no one told him once an aspie always an aspie!! Priceless! Bless :wink:

But one can become well adapted to the NT world. I am an Aspie, but after 76 years I have learned to "pass" as an NT in many social situations. It is just a matter of learning the moves which one can do if one sets his/her mind to it.

I have even learned to read facial expressions. It took me a long time, but I did it. It is like learning a foreign language while one is an adult. Difficult, but possible.

ruveyn

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 12:04 pm

I wouldn't be surprised that a great portion of people that think they have Asperger's think they have it because they grew up in a socially and emotionally retarding environment.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

jelibean wrote:
:D Once HAD Aspergers but grew out of it?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO!! !! !!

Poor lamb, no one told him once an aspie always an aspie!! Priceless! Bless :wink:

I remember reading an article somehere that stated he had Aspergers....but then he took an arrow to the knee. :wink: :roll:

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Don't be so ignorant. Many of us older people who were diagnosed late(r) in life have found rather sucessful methods of overcoming the Asperger's shortcomings without the aid or support of anyone person or organization. So much so in fact that we barely register on the spectrum at all anymore.
So yes, one CAN grow out of it (or at least adapt).
And NO, one doesn't need to suffer from Asperger's for life.

I'd disagree - you can outgrow poor social skills or even eye contact issues and whatevers hallmark with outward manifestations, but, in most cases that's still a far cry from being fully 'normal'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

I don't think he's grown out of it. BUT, when you make money, people like you more or if you are famous suddenly those quirks of yours are forgivable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_SuZRLKzY[/youtube]

Jeffrey228
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2012, 9:06 pm

Well quite a few of his big hits have done offly well in the Billboard Charts, which I guess should give meaning that people should respect Aspergers as being a "Gifted" condition, but in reality people don't see that in any way, and it makes me not so happy about it.

CeciliaAnn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

I always wondered about him.

"Misery's fun, I'm kissing everyone... I gotta hold my tongue." - The Breeders

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

Lol so THAT'S why I loved the talking heads as a kid, almost obsessively. Love that guy.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 4:40 am

listen to bela bartok he was the greatest aspie musician ever.try maybe his 1st 2nd and 6th string quartets

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 5:24 pm

I am suspicious of anyone who says they used to be autistic.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 10:13 pm

I heard a Tony Attwood interview recently and the correct term for balancing/hiding your Aspy traits and engaging successfully with NT's is called becoming 'sub-clinical'.
It's possible.