We are anonymous...sometimes we forget...

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

Sorry. That was a bad shortened play on their phrase. Anyway, Anonymous as many of you know was warning facebook and it's users that they'd attack the site and bring it down on November 5th. It's that date and 5:36pm EST. No word from anonymous anywhere. No word from facebook on the matter. Nothing is going on. Not even any evidence that I can find that anonymous even tried anything today. They say they don't forgive. They don't forget (they forgot?). Expect them.

One thing to keep in mind that anonymous has no leader. Every attack is from some other group of people calling themselves anonymous (hence the name obviously). Even if they're right that fb does what it does, what harm is it really doing me? The purpose of selling info to companies is usually to market to you. SPAM is probably the worst thing that i can see. Yeah, maybe it's wrong for them to do that, but it's just as wrong or more wrong to bring them down in the way of hacking. They need to ask themselves do the ends don't justify means. They don't. If I punched someone and put them in the hospital to stop them from bullying me and others, would I not be just as bad a person? They're trying to be the morality police which is hypocritical.

Ask me the stuff I'd like to do to people that do stupid stuff. I don't do it.

Anyways back to the original intent of the post. I just want to keep an eye on the situation and just wonder what other people thought was or wasn't going on. Usually anonymous says they'll do something and at least something happens. I don't know. I find it weird that even they haven't said anything publicly about today yet. Maybe it was just a bunch of hot air.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 5:01 pm

I found the whole thing rather amusing, but then again its not like I can't live without facebook

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

Believing trolls is like expecting British trains to be on time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 6:59 pm

Gedrene wrote:

Are you saying the British railways don't run on time?

That is almost as bad as Amtrack, here in the States.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

Gedrene wrote:

Or expecting Guardian columnists to talk sense.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:54 pm

A lot of people involved with Anonymous are saying that the Facebook operation was a hoax.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm

I hardly ever go on Facebook, so it doesn't affect me.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:30 am

Tequila wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Or not to be backstabbing hypocrites who launch attacks on former partners through orwellian means.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:33 am

PM wrote:
A lot of people involved with Anonymous are saying that the Facebook operation was a hoax.

Is it now? Is that justifiable given anonymous' existence as an apparently decentralized organisation?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Or not to be backstabbing hypocrites who launch attacks on former partners through orwellian means.

huh???? I must have missed something.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

jojobean wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Assange. The Guardian when it released the password for unredacted papers. Its justification was that assange broke some deal involving temporality. It's the reason why americans are trying to make a case against assange, even though it had nothing to do with him.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Nov 2011, 6:22 pm

Gedrene wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Assange. The Guardian when it released the password for unredacted papers. Its justification was that assange broke some deal involving temporality. It's the reason why americans are trying to make a case against assange, even though it had nothing to do with him.

d@mn.
Also I heard that Assange has AS and an over protective mother.
"Now Julian, leave the superpowers alone and come eat your dinner." (Joke)

Jojo

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:28 pm

jojobean wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

d@mn.
Also I heard that Assange has AS and an over protective mother.
"Now Julian, leave the superpowers alone and come eat your dinner." (Joke)
Jojo

I'd rather not speculate on his family life, given how many special interests arre arrayed against him.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 6:59 pm

good point.

anyway back to the thread topic...
We have to look at how this could impact Anoymous for the hoax idea to be credible.

First if the hoaxer's claim they are Anoymous and they will shut down facebook or whatever....then dont. This could could make Anoymous look weak...as a prank on their reliability.

Or
Someone in Anoymous did say that for their advantage to make them less predictable.

just throwing ideas out there, no real proof either way.

Jojo

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Well have you seen the things Anonymous DID do?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_events_involving_Anonymous
Anonymous even took down FBI.gov, MPAA.org, RIAA.org, Justice.gov, and several others (FBI was hard because they kept changing their F***ing IP addresses every 5 minutes!). All done in response to the FBI taking down Megaupload (R.I.P). I was there when it happened. I was ON the IRC channel at that time, watching the sites go down, all the while FIRIN' MAH LAZER and waiting. I wanted revenge for what happened to Megaupload. And its thousands of people thinking like me who were able to achieve such a thing. So just because Anonymous threatens to attack Facebook but decides not to doesn't mean they can't.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

They also took down the C.I.A website, on Friday. Its still down as of now.