Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

VladimierNorton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

One problem I am noticing I am having repeated problems with is common sense. In particular, its in the subject of what to do. If I am not told to do something, I will generally not do it. For instance, and this happened earlier on the posting date, my ....I guess you can say caretaker said that she expected me to call her about a purchase on a car. What had happened was is that she told me to call someone about setting up a meeting. I called the number she gave me and there was no answer, and the answering machine said that the voice mail had yet to be set up. So I ended it. She calls later asking what had happened, and I explain what happened. She then asks why I didn't call her or a friend about it, and I answered that she didn't give me the order to call her about what had happened. She then said (with a sigh) that she will take care of it. I am starting to get the feeling I have very little common sense or understanding. Part of me is also angry at her because she knows I have asphergers, and have problems with setting priorities. At the same time, I feel guilty because looking back I should have called her about this. I am confused and worried.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

Hi,
I also happen to have the same problem as you. I think we just follow step by step what people tell us because that's how our brain works when people give us orders. I don't think your caretaker was really mad at you (well actually I wasn't there so I can't really tell) but it's just frustrating on the moment, ya know. I've been told what you gotta do is when someone tells you to do something, you gotta think about what there expecting. So it can be really simple like in this case your caretaker is expecting a meeting with whoever. Then check if that actually what's expected (cuz sometimes we just understand wrong too) and once you think you did the task (whether you succeeded or not) you simply let the person know. You just got to get into that habit and it shouldn't look stupid. Any way that's my advice and experience... Good luck! :)

Sarah xx