Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2015, 10:08 pm

So I decided that instead of getting a summer job (in between junior and senior year) I would take care of some future college credits. However, to be frank I am a little afraid to go (I abhor the thought of mingling with public schoolers (no offence meant to any I just have some bad memories)). Any who, anyone have any previous community college experience or advice for me?

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

Depends on the average age of the people in class. Some will probably have teenagers around your age - and you've probably dealt with enough of them to know what to expect. Other courses may have legal adults and some much older individuals; if this is the case, they probably won't care whether you come or go, and will likely interact with you only for group assignments. Even neurotypical college students tend to keep to themselves.

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2015, 7:24 pm

Collage is so much better than high school. People are less concerned with cliques and "being normal." Most people are there because they want to be, not because they are forced. The schools tend to be bigger so that there is more chance to find a group of people with whom you feel comfortable.

You'll likely be one of the youngest there. That should be interesting. My only advice would be to not let yourself feel shame about your age. Listen to yourself and only do what you are ready for. The good news is that your classmates will likely understand and be gentle with you. There might be older adults in your class and they will likely love the energy and enthusiasm of your youth. If you are as smart as I assume you are, they may come to you for help with their homework, if you give them half a chance. That might be an interesting event.

Good luck and have fun!

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 12:04 pm

I only went for three days before I quit but it's probably waaayyy better while you're still in HS to take credits.

Sum

29 Apr 2015, 12:22 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I only went for three days before I quit but it's probably waaayyy better while you're still in HS to take credits.

Why did u quit?

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

I really didn't like commuting to school. The only reason I can think for wanting college is to get a break from family tbh

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

Nah, college is an excellent opportunity to take more specialized classes, especially subjects that would never be offered in a (public) high school. If you can stand the deadlines, tuition hikes, and occasional people-interactions, it's a great place to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 2:13 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:

comparing the cost of advanced HS courses (here they have AP) that give college credit, to the cost of actual college units, then yeah it's better financially, and less stress when you're on your own.

so i really regret not taking any of those courses. :|

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2015, 3:20 pm

rather be at public then special ed or private for that matter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 4:14 pm

I've spend some time in community college...if anything you're less likely to stick out since there is typically a wider variety of people in community college and lots of different ages. So not really much existence of cliques or anything like that really, seems most people show up do their classes and then go off and continue their day...rather than regular college where most students live on campus in dorms most being in their late teens and 20s. Most people at community college have lives outside of college or are just trying to start out getting some credits, or might just be taking a couple courses for their own benefit..whereas at traditional colleges the school life takes up most of your time and that is pretty much your life.

Community college sounds good for what you are wanting...and may even help introduce you to the college environment in general to help you prepare or maybe even help you decide if you want to pursue a regular college education or not. If anything traditional colleges are more similar to public school than community college as far as social interaction.

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2015, 4:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I've spend some time in community college...if anything you're less likely to stick out since there is typically a wider variety of people in community college and lots of different ages. So not really much existence of cliques or anything like that really, seems most people show up do their classes and then go off and continue their day...rather than regular college where most students live on campus in dorms most being in their late teens and 20s. Most people at community college have lives outside of college or are just trying to start out getting some credits, or might just be taking a couple courses for their own benefit..whereas at traditional colleges the school life takes up most of your time and that is pretty much your life.

Community college sounds good for what you are wanting...and may even help introduce you to the college environment in general to help you prepare or maybe even help you decide if you want to pursue a regular college education or not. If anything traditional colleges are more similar to public school than community college as far as social interaction.

im still in high school.
not totally sure why im even on this thread.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:12 pm

^well i haven't seen you in a while. welcome back. i'm guessing you has at least somehting to say.

lots of people here in HS choose to take classes at the city college ("seesee"), mostly during the summer but if your schedule is open later on, you can take it whenever. i cleared my foreign language requirement by taking italian 101 there over the summer. and now i've forgotten everything and am learning ivrit...

tfw freaking out over my future college schedule.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Happycampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2015, 2:37 am

I dropped out of high school and began attending community college early this year. The people there were only interested in getting their credits and getting out as fast as they could rather than socializing.

Personally, I found community college to be much easier than high school. Less homework (though this won't be the case for every class), depending on how your class schedule is you might only be there a few days of the week (I crammed all my classes exclusively into monday and wednesday), and a better sense of academic freedom.

Keep in mind that if you take a summer class, you'll be going through a semester of work in only a few weeks.