Mom almost died several times in the past 2 days.

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 10:20 am

Bubbybird wrote:
Hi, Southwestforest's wife here.....the main thing I can say to you is continue to be strong for your mom when she can't be. do NOT let them push you away. I agree with the bunk about there being other patients in the hospital, you already knew that but you were most concerned about only 1 at that point.....your mom. Continue to speak up for her until she is well enough to speak for her own. It will probably mean you will be "the bad person" in their eyes but one of my favorite lines to them is If it weren't for me being here(or your mom in this case) they wouldn't be needed so guess you can say I'm paying your salary!! Stay strong and we will pray a hedge of protection around your family, especially your mom right now!!

Seconded. It's good you're being courteous when you're able--but preserving your mom's life comes first. And sometimes that will make other people treat you like the bad one,"mean", "pushy" or (and I hate this one) "bitchy". :evil:

But someone they love isn't at great risk.Someone you love is! Take courage and keep going.

I know you can do this!

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 2:04 am

thank you all, for posting and praying. I will continue to keep you all updated. My mom may be moved to another hospital on Monday. This is because they want to put her in a step down unit but we no longer trust the lower level of care at this hospital.

I suggested having her moved to a hospital that she was at for her copd. they kept her safe there and took very good care of her there.

So if all goes well she will be moved out of the ICU and into another (lower unit) at a better hospital. She is improving. though she may need surgery to patch the hole in her lung because it is not healing.

I'm very stressed with it all . I had a massive meltdown yesterday. i was screaming and throwing things around my room. I think its cause i cant handle this much stress all the time. and sometimes i just snap.

I even bruised my knee in all the confusion. but its only small.

I hope you all don't mind that i am keeping this thread going on so long.

I just really need your help during all this. and it means so much talking to you all. so please keep posing. i need the feed back. even if you don't know what to say. just knowing your listening helps me.

Thank you all.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 5:45 am

Hope your mom gets well :)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 10:01 am

just-me wrote:
I suggested having her moved to a hospital that she was at for her copd. they kept her safe there and took very good care of her there.

Sounds like an idea :D

Quote:
So if all goes well she will be moved out of the ICU and into another (lower unit) at a better hospital. She is improving. though she may need surgery to patch the hole in her lung because it is not healing.
Good, and worrisome - moves can be hard on patients.

Quote:
I'm very stressed with it all . I had a massive meltdown yesterday. i was screaming and throwing things around my room. I think its cause i cant handle this much stress all the time. and sometimes i just snap.

I even bruised my knee in all the confusion. but its only small.

Oh dear :(

Quote:
I think its cause i cant handle this much stress all the time.
Hard for anyone to do just-me, hard for anyone to do. Hang in there.

Quote:
I hope you all don't mind that i am keeping this thread going on so long.
However long you want to is fine with us.

Quote:
I just really need your help during all this. and it means so much talking to you all. so please keep posing. i need the feed back. even if you don't know what to say. just knowing your listening helps me.
We're here.

And keep telling your Mom you're there.
And you love her.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 12:14 am

My mom got transferred to the hospital i wanted. but they only transferred her because she needed another surgery.

They operated on her lung. They cut out the hole and sowed it shut then put some kine of chemical in her lung to irritate it. this will cause the lung to seal to the outer lining of her lung. this will keep it from collapsing again.

she is now in the ICU of this new hospital. and she will most certainly take a while to recover. she couldn't talk or move for the first couple of hours. and she has a catheter because she cant move enough to pee . she also had a ventilator forcing her to breath.

I had to step out of the room for them to take it out because it was quite graphic. because it went way down her throat and she was awake when they took it out. so she was gagging and such.

she couldn't move much either. I'm not exactly sure why.

The nurse said she will be able to eat food in a few days but for now she cant.

I'm glad she got the hole patched in her lung. but it was hard to see her on so much machines. and so many wires. and so unable to do anything.

But i have a feeling she will make a quick recovery. i hope so. she seemed to make a lot of progress when i was there. she is now breathing on her own . except for her chest tube. but that is just draining out the extra air left in her chest cavity. her oxygen was 96 when i left so thats good.

By the time i left she could talk and move her hands a bit. and her spirits were good because she wanted ice cream for breakfast. even though she cant eat yet.

She is stubborn, and when i see that part of her personality come out i know she is doing better.

Your prayers are helping. and it helps that you all care and are responding. so thank you. i need the support and really appreciate it!

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 12:28 am

just-me wrote:
She is stubborn, and when i see that part of her personality come out i know she is doing better.

Good sign :lol:

What a place to be for the holidays - stuck in bed wired and tubed to who knows what :?

Guess the Christmas gift this year is that Mom is here for Christmas.

Tell Mom and Dad we love them.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 2:01 am

Thank you so much southwestforests ! (hugs).

We did our night before Christmas tradition. we always open one gift each and dad reads the story. the night before Christmas.

The ICU nurse let us bring in gifts and the book so mom could be there for all of it.

And when i was leaving she grabbed my hand and told me how glad she was that i have been helping her so much. it was so nice of her to say that. i know she really loves me and i love her so much too.

She is still getting better. she can drink soda and soft foods. and she is moving better. the nurse said she might be able to move into a step down unit by Monday.

I am so glad my mom is alive. that is truly a gift from god.

I went to Christmas mass to thank him. i just got back .

I will tell my mom and dad you thinking of them. thank you so much for caring. it helps more then you know.

This forum and all the people in it are such a blessing. i feel so wanted and cared about here. so thank you WP.

and thank you southwestforests for your kind post.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS. TO ALL~

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Dec 2009, 9:13 pm

Hi Just-me and Merry Christmas. It sounds like your mother is getting better. I will continue to remember her in my prayers. It sounds like there are a lot of people praying for her. I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 8:17 pm

thank you glider18.
she isent in the clear yet. but I'm hoping that she will get better and be home in time for new years.

The prayers are helping i know they are. and i really want to thank everyone for praying. she will need your prayers to help her beat the odds with her cancer.

she has a 50% chance give or take a bit. so praying is going to be what saves her.

thank you all and i will keep you updated.

I stayed home today because I'm ill and i cant risk making my mom ill.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:20 am

My mom will be in the hospital for a while still. its been 23 days that she has been in the hospital. she has had 3 surgery's and might be in there up to another month. I was shocked to hear this.

They tried to move her to a rehab facility because the insurance dose not want to pay for such a long hospital stay but she still need the medical care so she cant be moved.

I just want her to get better.

i think I'm getting depressed again because of all this.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 3:35 am

Just-me, all I can do for you is give you a hug. Gods this must be stressful, especially around the holidays. I'm going to pass this on to a few friends, they'll pray for you.

Tell your mum good luck from the whole WP family.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

24shaz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2010, 11:05 am

(((hugs)))

Thinking of you and your mother at this difficult time and wish her a speedy recovery x

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 8:13 pm

Thank you everyone. I have great news. my mom came home today. she was going to go to the rehab facility but they decided that she could go home.

I'm a bit sad though because as soon as she got home she sneaked a smoke. i could tell cause i could smell it.
I was hoping all this would make her quit. 25 days in the hospital is a long time. i figured that would be enough to help her quit.

But sadly no.

I'm very stressed. sad and getting depressed. i just overcame a 8 year long depression and now I'm getting depressed again. I just dont want to see my mom like this.

She has copd and lost some lung function due to the collapsed lung problem. and now she is smoking.

and I'm worried about her cancer odds. about 50% I don't want her to die. and I'm sad.

Thank you all for sticking by me in this incredibly hard time. it is testing me to my limits. I cant have a break down now because i need to take care of my mom when dad is at work. So i need to stay ok.

oh please pray i have the strength to get through this.

Thank you so much.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:36 pm

Wow kiddo, there's still a lot going on in so many places.

That smoking thing is very difficult to end: stepson and neighbor each have been trying for years. Neighbor has to stop smoking for several months before being able to have some kind of surgery but he's having very hard time going that long.

This maybe help motivate her?
Or only wind up as something else to worry about?
Risk Factors for Macular Degeneration
http://www.agingeye.net/maculardegen/maculardegeninformation.php

Quote:
Strong Risk Factors

● Aging
Approximately 10% of patients 66 to 74 years of age will have findings of macular degeneration. The prevalence increases to 30% in patients 75 to 85 years of age.

● Smoking
Smoking is the most consistently established modifiable risk factor for macular degeneration. A large growing pool of evidence (13 published studies) confirms a significant association between smoking and macular degeneration. The risk of macular degeneration is two- to three-fold higher in current-smokers compared with never-smokers (Eye 2005;19:935-44).

There is evidence that the likelihood of developing macular degeneration will reduce if one were to quit smoking. If you quit smoking, then 1 year of no-smoking will reduce the likelihood of you developing macular degeneration by 6.7%. After another 5 years of no-smoking the risk is further reduced by another 5%, and after yet another 5 years of no-smoking by an extra 4.2%. The protective effect of quitting smoking seems to be somewhat more pronounced in the first years after stopping smoking (Neuner et al Ann Epidemiol. 2007 May 24).

Not only does smoking increase the risk of macular degeneration development, current or ex-smokers cannot take the vitamin supplements that have beta carotene because the risk of lung cancer increases if they do so. Beta carotene vitamin supplements were recently shown to help in slowing macular degeneration in a NIH supported study.

Maybe that'll be something which will be one of those "Wow, I need to do that" deals.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 6:28 pm

edit

Last edited by just-me on 07 Jan 2010, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2010, 7:39 pm

OMG, your mom must have been in so much pain, being operated on without any anesthesia!!1

I was in the mental ward in the Burnaby General Hospital in Burnaby, BC, Canada, for 7 days. They forgot to give me my meds one day and another day they almost gave me someone else's meds (and that woman had just given me mine but didn't remember it!)