Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

People with AS are certainly not perfect. However, being dumb is not one of our traits.

Are most people idiots?

It seems that way.

Am I the only person that thinks that?

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Yes, you're correct. Most people definitely are idiots.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:14 pm

You're both wrong.

Only half of the people in the world have less-than-average intelligence.

This equates to an IQ of 100.

An "Idiot" was once defined as a person with an IQ of 30 or less (They're now said to have Severe or Profound mental retardation).

Since intelligence has a statistical bell-curve distribution, this means that "Idiots" comprise less than less than 0.5% of the general population.

(Mental retardation affects about 2 to 3% of the total population; of these, 75 to 90% have mild retardation. This leaves less than 0.5% of the population. Ref: Daily DK, Ardinger HH, Holmes GE (February 2000). "Identification and evaluation of mental retardation". Am Fam Physician 61: 1059–67, 1070. PMID 10706158)

Enough said?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

stitch4518
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2012, 12:19 pm

I agree, most people are idiots. I do not enjoy dealing with "The Dumb". Thats what I refer to them as rather than idiots. 8)
I suspected the word "Idiots" was used loosely to fit a majority of people that never put any thought into anything and desire to know nothing.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

When I don't get the joke, I feel like the idiot.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:32 pm

Disregarding the specific IQ level of "idiot"... I'd say yes. The world is full of people that make terrible, TERRIBLE decisions based on low intelligence and/or unbridled emotion.

What boggles the mind is how many of these people who can't DO ANYTHING in life are masters of social behaviour and manage to get high-paying jobs thanks to their many friends and connections, despite not being able to perform at the job itself!

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm

It just seems that way, because:

A) When people do or say stupid things, it tends to stand out in one's mind much more than all the not-so-stupid things they did.
B) The things they say/do seem stupid because they don't make sense... to us. The result is that sometimes people seem like idiots when they do perfectly reasonable and logical things, but we don't know why they do them.

It's not always an illusion, sometimes people really are acting stupid or doing completely illogical things... but that goes for anyone; aside from letting social factors influence their decisions more, I don't think NTs are any worse for it than aspies.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

Depends on your intelligence.from my perspective most people are.I can count the number of people I've met who I felt where significantly smarter than me on one hand 8)

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

KevinLA wrote:
Are most people idiots?

according to the normal distribution, only appr. 16% of the population has an above average intelligence, meaning that appr. 4 out of 5 people you'll meet out there, don't own more than an average intelligence… in a best case scenario that is.

so your assumption might as well be correct.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:23 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
... according to the normal distribution, only appr. 16% of the population has an above average intelligence ...

The IQs of a large enough population are calculated so that they conform to a normal distribution.

Normal Distribution of IQ vs. General Population

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:23 pm

Deleted.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
You're both wrong.

An "Idiot" was once defined as a person with an IQ of 30 or less (They're now said to have Severe or Profound mental retardation).

Since intelligence has a statistical bell-curve distribution, this means that "Idiots" comprise less than less than 0.5% of the general population.

(Mental retardation affects about 2 to 3% of the total population; of these, 75 to 90% have mild retardation. This leaves less than 0.5% of the population. Ref: Daily DK, Ardinger HH, Holmes GE (February 2000). "Identification and evaluation of mental retardation". Am Fam Physician 61: 1059–67, 1070. PMID 10706158)

Enough said?

not entirely correct…

the average is defined by ± 1 SD on the bell curve … this equals to appr. 68% of the population.

16% has less than average and 16% is above average. (± 2 SD)

of the rest, 4% has ± 3 SD and 0.2% has ± 4 SD, meaning that more than 2.1% is severely challenged.

a total of ~ 84% of the population ranges from −4 SD up to +1 SD.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 1:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
... according to the normal distribution, only appr. 16% of the population has an above average intelligence ...

The IQs of a large enough population are calculated so that they conform to a normal distribution.

Normal Distribution of IQ vs. General Population

In statistics, the 68-95-99.7 rule — or three-sigma rule, or empirical rule — states that for a normal distribution, nearly all values lie within 3 standard deviations of the mean.
About 68.27% of the values lie within 1 standard deviation of the mean. Similarly, about 95.45% of the values lie within 2 standard deviations of the mean. Nearly all (99.73%) of the values lie within 3 standard deviations of the mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68-95-99.7_rule

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

The measurable intelligence doesn't say much about a person's good sense. How they live their lives and what kind of decisions they make, also on which criteria those decisions are based.

As BlueMax says,

Quote:
The world is full of people that make terrible, TERRIBLE decisions based on low intelligence and/or unbridled emotion.

Though I would replace intelligence by reason. A person who makes important and far--reaching decisions on the basis of feelings and other irrational phenomena is an idiot, so yes.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 2:16 pm

If I am not going by IQ scores, yes 99.99% of the human population are idiots. I deal with them everyday. Being part of the human race means idiocy. It is very rare that someone is smart.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
You're both wrong.

Enough said?

I wasn't talking about mental retardation. I was talking about ignorant NTs who make terrible decisions, have awful taste, follow whatever other people do, regardless of whether or not it's morally correct, and are unable to tolerate anything even slightly different from what they consider to be normal.

I consider this sort of person useless, inferior and deficient. Idiots.