Get Rid of PE and Bullying In Schools

Page 7 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2006, 2:08 pm

As I said, I am many years removed from the school room, but any physical attack is unacceptable. I always fought back. From what I have heard about the zero tolerance policies, it would seem that might not be a viable option now. So, coping and not exploding in anger is key...even if you do fight back...you can't fight effectively if all you feel is anger, it must be completely under control. It will as most things, boil down to a risk and reward analysis: if you fight back is the reward worth the risk. There are some things you can learn that will give you the techniques to effectively fight back...no, I will not teach them here...but if caught, is it worth the suspension or having to deal with the school officials...only you can decide.

Which part didn't work? Keeping your cool? Your team mates appreciating your effort? Specifically, which part did not work?

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2006, 2:21 pm

How many pencils and other things that have been thrown at you do you still have? If you have quite a few, get to school early one day set up a stand in an area where if anyone tries to cause trouble a teacher or someone of authority will see it. Have a sign offering to sell slighly used school supplies at a deep discount. Be humorous, label them as only used to terrorize geeky kid or some such language...it should make your point and put the staff on notice...be sure to have everything packed up and be ready for clasd before the bell rings. Try to think of other creative ways of bringing the issue to notice...use your talents, get the better of the bullies this way, since fighting back looks like a poor option.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 8:27 pm

DaveB78 wrote:
Get to school early one day set up a stand in an area where if anyone tries to cause trouble a teacher or someone of authority will see it. Have a sign offering to sell slighly used school supplies at a deep discount. Be humorous, label them as only used to terrorize geeky kid or some such language...it should make your point and put the staff on notice...

Um..., are you actually considering this? 8O :? If so, please don't do this. The staff won't see a victim of bullying; they'll only see someone sellings things on school property without permission. And you know how much school officials like to "restore order and discipline". :roll: Bullies won't get your joke; they'll just grab all the merchandise, and either run off with it or throw it right at you. Most importantly, given the fact that almost no one would do this sale thing, it might turn even some non-bullies against you. So if this wasn't a joke, I really think you shouldn't do this.

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2006, 8:46 pm

Are schools really that way these days? When I was there in the 60's if you wanted to set up any sort of thing like that, you just did it. Typically, in homeroom...maybe, some of you need to fill me in on what freedoms have been removed from students in the past 40 years...It was not meant to be as much a joke as an object lesson using humor.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 9:35 pm

Dave,

Many students rights have been eroded over the years in the quest for "safety" so the above poster is right in saying not to do that.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2006, 9:56 pm

What is unsafe about a bit of student commerce? Maybe I am missing the reasoning, but why in the world would any school prohibit a student from selling his own property? If a permit is required request iit in such a way that here is no overt mention of the bulling issue, just a simple sale of surplus suplies as discount I am failing to see why this would be objectionable.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 5:10 am

DaveB78 wrote:
What is unsafe about a bit of student commerce? Maybe I am missing the reasoning, but why in the world would any school prohibit a student from selling his own property? If a permit is required request iit in such a way that here is no overt mention of the bulling issue, just a simple sale of surplus suplies as discount I am failing to see why this would be objectionable.

Because no business can be carried on in school unless authorized.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 8:43 am

That is not true either because then all those candy sales, soda sales, and school stores would not be legal either. Business can be done on school property if the school approves. Of course, that does not preclude students setting up a meeting off of school property outside of school hourse where they can conduct business.

What the schools do not want its students to learn is that any child can work if they truly wanted to, regardless of the child labor laws. The trick is for the child to call themselves an independent contractor rather than an employee.

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2006, 8:57 am

OK, lets not get caught up in the trees and miss the forest. My broader point was to be CREATIVE and to use the strength of your mind to defeat the superior physical strength of the bullies. The main key to this is to learn to control the anger that you feel...It will take some time, it will not come naturally or easily, but it is something you can train yourself to do. The Navy SEALs had a saying in the early days: "Don't forget the 7 "Ps". The 7 Ps are Proper Prior Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance. How this applies here is that you know the bullies are going to assault, so you must be prepared to deal with it. The better your PRIOR planing, the less likely your Performance at the time will be Poor...work out a plan in advance, rehearse it, and when the time comes the stress will be reduced.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 12:02 pm

DaveB78 wrote:
How many pencils and other things that have been thrown at you do you still have? If you have quite a few, get to school early one day set up a stand in an area where if anyone tries to cause trouble a teacher or someone of authority will see it. Have a sign offering to sell slighly used school supplies at a deep discount. Be humorous, label them as only used to terrorize geeky kid or some such language...it should make your point and put the staff on notice...be sure to have everything packed up and be ready for clasd before the bell rings. Try to think of other creative ways of bringing the issue to notice...use your talents, get the better of the bullies this way, since fighting back looks like a poor option.

You assume that I was allowed to keep them. Don't you know it could be classed as theft? :roll:

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 12:04 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
That is not true either because then all those candy sales, soda sales, and school stores would not be legal either. Business can be done on school property if the school approves. Of course, that does not preclude students setting up a meeting off of school property outside of school hourse where they can conduct business.

What the schools do not want its students to learn is that any child can work if they truly wanted to, regardless of the child labor laws. The trick is for the child to call themselves an independent contractor rather than an employee.

By aprroving, the school has authorized it. It has to be authorized by the school.

DaveB78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2006, 12:14 pm

sigholdaccountlost wrote:
DaveB78 wrote:

You assume that I was allowed to keep them. Don't you know it could be classed as theft? :roll:
Yes, I did assume that, no, it never occured to me that it would be considered theft.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 12:22 pm

If the school wants to get the victim in trouble while allowing the perpetrator to go free, that is one possible avenue.

Also, the school has the authority to only approve stuff on school property. They cannot stop you from doing such a business, say, across the street from the school (although they have been trying to extend their control to events that occur off of school property and time too but have not won that right yet).