Get Rid of PE and Bullying In Schools

Page 2 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2006, 1:47 pm

I went to a football oriented high school- and I think that attitude carried over into P.E-all the instructors were hired as coaches-(along with most of the history teachers :x ).Nothing wrong with the concept of P.E.-there are non-competitive games,
and other group acitvities-but it shouldn't be a way to subsidize the sports program at the expense of other students
time and dignity.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 8:18 pm

To be honest, schools should not be subsidizing sports programs at all. I pay my school taxes so that the money goes to education, not football.

I personally think that sports should be cut off from school funding and should be forced to have to get funds from the city in their own right.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2006, 9:50 pm

Okay, the official plan is we fight for district wide PE and bullying reform, and we set a 6-9 month deadline before we take reports to media, etc.

If (when, hopefully) the PE and bully reforms go through in the district, we bring the argument to the California Board of Education.

And yes, there are cops at my school, but they're usually busy in the break room or dealing with traffic.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 11:12 pm

Roybertito wrote:
PE should no longer be a compulsory class

i strongly disagree with this...i think PE, if anything, should be taken more seriously and should be given more money and more support. have it consist of cardio and working with weights. teach proper diet. teach how to save a life!! !

there's important stuff with PE.

and this is coming from someone who is pretty out of shape and hated PE in school.....i wish they had done more to instill some form of idea about taking care of your body rather than just doing stupid games like football or kickball and just randomly popping that stupid presidential fitness test thing.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2006, 12:45 am

^That's EXACTLY what I mean by "reform."

I want it to be a fairer class, but I also want it to be a class that helps people, a class that acheives its purpose.

Thanks for that, I'm adding that in to the letter to the superintendant.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 3:04 am

Looking through some of the comments, I was going to say that PE would be something that is something that should be redesigned.

But then again, what benefits it's supposed to serve to begin with already seem questionable, a lot of what goes on seems to be based on some bad thinking.

It probably get's done better in different places. I know I had a fair amount of trouble with it too. (Not nearly as bad as you seem to have though).

But yeah. There needs to be some serious work done there. The whole education system really. For more reasons then just bullying.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2006, 5:25 am

For more reasons then just bullying.
Care to share?

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2006, 11:19 am

ljbouchard wrote:
To be honest, schools should not be subsidizing sports programs at all. I pay my school taxes so that the money goes to education, not football.

I personally think that sports should be cut off from school funding and should be forced to have to get funds from the city in their own right.

I argued this point once, and my high school chemistry teacher,who was a good guy and not involved in the sports program,
presented this counter argument-high school football-and illegal sports betting!- generated the enthuisiam to pass the school levis.(which where we were then got property taxs from the steel mills.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2006, 11:35 am

I like that arguement!

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2006, 12:17 pm

I like that arguement!

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 7:08 pm

<quote>I argued this point once, and my high school chemistry teacher,who was a good guy and not involved in the sports program,
presented this counter argument-high school football-and illegal sports betting!- generated the enthuisiam to pass the school levis.(which where we were then got property taxs from the steel mills.</quote>

So basically what he is saying is that people do not care to fund education and would not fund it all if there was not a sports program attached to it. No wonder the USA has the worse education system of any industrialized nation.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 12:27 am

Schools have a responsibility to help people reach their full potential by giving them access to programs that will help develop their skills. These include team-work and competitiveness, and football is an ideal way to teach people those skills, as it is interesting and relevant to many kids and teens. Not everyone is academic, so teaching kids these skills in the classroom alone isn't as effective. That, I imagine is one of many rationales for keeping sports funded by schools.

Another is simply that football is a good way to stay healthy. It's no good being a whiz at everything if you die halfway through your working life from a heart attack because you weren't encouraged to do physical exercise in school.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2006, 3:12 am

^*throws shoe*

Football is the worst sport devised by mankind. If I have to play f*cking football one more time, I'm going to go back in time and kill the man who invented the sport by ripping his chest open, tearing out his heart, and replacing it... with a football.

Yes, I'm very sadistic. And yes, I've thought about this.

But really, football is the perfect place for bullies to have an excuse to beat you up.

Bully: "We were just playing the game."

Me: "You shoved the ball up my ass!"

Bully: "Shutup, queef."

Me: "Damn it!"

Yes, that one actually happened. 5th grade, folks. And again in 8th. And both times we were supposed to be playing touch football.

Football is another one of those jock-oriented teamsports in which if you're not good at it, you get abused and left out.

Screw football. American football, I mean.

Plus, what skills does it teach? "How to be an as*hole?" No, really, you don't have to work together, all you have to do is run around hoping you get to do something while the jocks take the ball and throw it at people or keep it away from you. F*ck, man, what school did you go to where you had it so good?

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 5:28 am

Iammeandnooneelse wrote:
For more reasons then just bullying.
Care to share?

The thing about the education system is that it takes a kind of mass production view. Where supposedly educated people are the end product.

Standardized tests are used to determine 'value', and are just short of being worshipped.

Furthermore, there is content that has very little actual value, while there is so much more that could be there.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2006, 5:50 am

Is it just me that:
The more Sorce writes, the less convinced I am he was ever bullied?

Last edited by Iammeandnooneelse on 04 Jun 2006, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 6:40 am

Hey, I didn't say I liked football. I don't even think it's played over here. To be honest, I don't even know what football is over in America. I think it's what we call soccer over here, isn't it?

And I was just stating what reasons there were for funding football and other sports in schools. They're legitimate reasons.

About my old school, I think the incidence of bullying was virtually zero, with just a few isolated incidences every now and then. That could probably be credited to the excellent staff and policies we had in place there. So perhaps at your school there just needs to be a greater emphasis on getting staff to combat bullying. You did say that your PE teachers were pretty lax on supervision, didn't you? Then that's the problem; they need to pull their finger out.