Really let everyone down

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Brains
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2011, 8:08 pm

So, really early in the year I found out that some web-based software was very insecure, and I can't say why, I really can't remember, but I proved it was very insecure by accessing some data. I didn't copy or change anything, just took a screenshot to prove I could.

Anyway, a few months back, the owner of the system seems to have found out, and reported it to the police, who got my IP address and arrested me.

Because of my Aspie traits (I'm not diagnosed, but I know I have it) to some extent, when I was interviewed, I was completely honest with the officers, told them everything I'd done, but that wasn't enough for them. One started shouting at me, and told me I must have done several other things that were nothing to do with me. I'd also, chatting online, potentially come accross as interested in people sexually who I actually wasn't, and I got questioned about that and the officers tried to imply I was some sort of sex pest, even though it was just because I sometimes struggle to know what to say when I'm chatting with people I like.

I wish I'd said nothing, because it turned out that my admission is the only reliable evidence they actually had, and now, I'm being charged for court on the basis of it, for what is really nothing. I just opened something that wasn't secured at all and should have been. They can't prove anything except what I admitted. (I didn't do anything else!)

It's horrible. On Monday, the police release my name and details to the press, so it will be on the news and things and my life is as good as over. I've accepted that it was my mistake, but nobody got hurt, it wasn't a major crime. To be honest, I didn't even realise it was illegal, it was left totally unsecured, it should be their fault.

I now feel like my life is totally worthless. I can't have a future, even if they were to drop it, on Monday, everyone finds out who I am and that's any reputation or future job prospects I had, completely gone. I've totally let everyone down, and I'm seriously considering if it's worth living the rest of my life like this, or whether I just want out. I've never felt like this before. I'm sure people have it much worse, but everything I want in life is just gone.

I really really want it to end. Whatever that means.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

your life isn't over. i have a DUI for taking my bedtime meds and driving. i passed the criminal background check for my current social work job. it would pay to explain that you were trying to get the site to improve security whenever you apply for a job. if you're smart enough to hack, you're plenty smart and will be in demand as an employee.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 8:36 pm

You didn't know you were doing anything illegal. You didn't really do any harm if I understand correctly. Sounds like a very unfortunate chain of events and nothing more. I know nothing of the legal aspect of this but your life is not over. Sorry the police treated you like that. Ugh. It is not easy to live in a world where people are always ready to assume the worst is it. Hopefully your Asperger's diagnosis is being taken into account as in the (probably much larger) Gary McKinnon case.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 9:04 pm

Who did you let down in this circumstance?

Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

Life isn't fair but that shouldn't make you want to back down against these people. It should motivate you to stand up against them.
It's not a big crime and won't mean anything to anyone other than who attend school and people who know you. Move away, far away from where you live. You can have a new start.
You can't think that you won't get any job just because of that. People who commit worser crimes get jobs.
I'm sure It feels like it's the end when you look at it, but think about it, it's not that much of a big deal comparing to all the other crimes taking place.

If anything, you feel motivated to set up some sort of group for people who get treated unfairly by the services such as the Police.
And If you're implying committing suicide by "ending it", It will make you look guilty as well as leaving your loved ones hurt.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 5:47 am

At my work we do full criminal records checks when we are engaging with people, we are only interested in dodgy stuff like violence. We'd still employ you and I can imagine situations where you'd even become more interesting (clearly a good problem solver).
Its not the end of your life, in fact you can use to make sure you are more choosy about who you will work with. Find employers that want your skills and understand AS, it might be challenging but you will be happier for it. You didnt knowingly do anyone any harm, keep sticking to that. Its true.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 8:01 am

Likely the leet hackers will be contacting you shortly. You could join Anonymous!

Seriously, teenage hackers who make the news for accessing systems "because they can" always get offers to work for internet security firms.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

27 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Likely the leet hackers will be contacting you shortly. You could join Anonymous!

Seriously, teenage hackers who make the news for accessing systems "because they can" always get offers to work for internet security firms.

agreed....move and work for an internet security firm. You would be an advantage for them.

Also if you were only trying to point out the obvious to your boss, not actually trying to hack for the wrong reason, I dont see how this was illegal.

You really need a lawyer....and dont get the public law lawyer either...they are useless. You need one that you pay to represent you that is not local. You need one that can represent your state, but is not involved with your local area's politics.
And the public law lawyers get paid by the same system that is trying to convict you...it is a conflict of interest.

You could also go to CNN about how you were only pointing out the fact it was insecure and you were treated like criminal. If they take the story and go with it then the police will be appologizing to you, and you can get your name out there as a good person to hire for internet security. But have a lawyer before going to CNN and not a local one either cause a local lawyer is in bed with local interests.

make lemonade out of lemons, my friend.

Jojo