So worried about December 21 2012

Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 3:53 am

OK it's July the 1st today and I am worrying about what is going to happen in less than 6 months time. Someone said to me that something's going to happen with money, worldwide, so I don't quite know what's going to happen beyond that. The beginning of the financial year in the UK starts in April, so if anything I thought something like that would happen in April, but I'm not sure about how this sort of thing works in other countries.

I am worrying about what this would mean. Would everybody go skint, and not be able to eat or live in homes? Will it just cause a big apocalypse in some other way? I'm so worried, I know I hate my life but I still don't want to die.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 3:58 am

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have solid evidence.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 4:20 am

I tend to think negative things are on the horizon, but it has nothing to do with Nostradamus, the Mayans, the Hopi, or any of the other ancient seers that seem to point to a convergence of some sort on a singular date. No, I just look at economic data and the probability that the can can't be kicked down the road much farther with respect to debt and spending. I have my theories as to what this will trigger, but it is all idle speculation until it happens. However, if you are worried about it, look into "prepping". Some of the stuff preppers do is nuts, but some makes sense. There's nothing wrong with keeping a few weeks of canned food and some basic survival supplies at hand in case it all does go haywire.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 4:43 am

Try not to worry about it. The financial year running April to April is really the tax year, the only way it would affect the markets is if lots of companies announced pre-tax losses, or only small profits as then their shares might fall in price and the markets might dip a little. For example, the share price of Barclays has fallen because it's been found out they were doing things they shouldn't have been. Usually the markets right themselves, but we are in a recession so things are a little more unpredictable than usual but not to the extent of all the money getting lost.

Perhaps your friend was thinking about the Euro collapsing or something similar. We really don't know if that is going to happen, and if it does then worrying about it now will make no difference. Even if that happens, no one in this country is going to starve or die because of it, it might just mean that we take a little longer to come out of recession.

There is no evidence that there is going to any sort of apocalypse on December 21st. We have no possible way of even knowing what the Mayan people meant. It's also worth pointing out that they couldn't predict the extinction of their own civilisation! In every generation there have been people convinced that the end of the world was near. If you look at this link you will see how many there have been, and how they have all been wrong. There is no reason to believe any of the future predictions will be any less wrong than those ones.

Apocalypse List

Try and focus on worrying about the things you can control, not the ones you can't. I'm sure you're not going to die for a long time yet.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2012, 7:24 am

Rome wasn't built in a day and it didn't fall in a day. And it is going down. Human societies have always been of two main types. Those that seek to grow, and those that stabilise at a certain low level. Australian Aborigines were here for 40 000 years. By contrast, Babylon, Egypt, Rome, etc were all 'superpowers'. They grew by exploiting resources and bringing in from without. Mostly they didn't cease to exist, but they did lose their power.

As has the modern world. Descent happens when the resources that the civilisation required to be built and then sustained, start to dwindle (as is happening). Technology won't come up with a solution, because it still leaves the problems of physical resources AND retrofitting EVERYTHING.

And unlike those olden day civilisations, we have billions of people. The people in the know say we must be able to double world food production in 40 years. :roll:

Good news is that there will probably be survivors. Maybe even lots of them. There were after the previous collapses. Decide to survive and use your time to increase your value. Learn first aid, buy some tools and learn to fix things, learn to grow vegetables, learn how to fight and how to keep cool.

It's not an event. It's a process. Will most likely play out over this century, but will be a problem most of the way along. Get bad for a while, then stabilise for a while, then down a little more, and so on.

So you have time. Just decide not to be a victim, then learn something useful.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:12 am

Hey, if the world really does end just come on here and raise a glass :) there will be plenty of people on here getting drunk and living their last moments happy. Personally speaking, ma'am? - I don't think the Rapture's gonna happen.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:55 am

Whaaaaaaa? I only thought it was something to do with Greece and them getting a bail out... you mean there is something else I should worry about?

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

PastFixations wrote:
Whaaaaaaa? I only thought it was something to do with Greece and them getting a bail out... you mean there is something else I should worry about?

Some people believe that according to a calendar made by the Mayan people (an ancient civilisation in South America) the world will end on 21st December 2012. There is absolutely no scientific evidence for this.

There is certainly more reason to worry about the Euro collapsing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
PastFixations wrote:

Some people believe that according to a calendar made by the Mayan people (an ancient civilisation in South America) the world will end on 21st December 2012. There is absolutely no scientific evidence for this.

I don't believe in the Mayan thing because why would that destroy an entire planet and all of the people on it?

I'm more worried about the euro collapsing like you said. If you watch Life After People, you will be so freaked out by this. Though you won't see it actually happening, while you're still alive you will know what will happen to the world we leave behind. It doesn't help when you personify objects like I do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtHICMmDJk

f*****g hell that is disturbing.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
PastFixations wrote:

NOOOOO!! ! I want to live! :(

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:42 am

PastFixations wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:
PastFixations wrote:

NOOOOO!! ! I want to live! :(

So do I. How can we be happy if all we've got to look forward to is death? They always say ''not knowing when you're going to die is a good thing'', so that means when you do know when you're going to die is a bad thing. I don't want to die just because humans have gotten so greedy with money. Why does money have to come first before anything? We all want money but it's no good killing off the entire planet over it and making 99 trillion people die.

I want to at least reach 30. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:44 am

Yeah but remember that Euro denied help from UK so... isn't that their problem if they can't accept they need help?

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2012, 9:49 am

Don't worry, if this happens the foreigners might all be kicked out to their own countries, then there will be more jobs for the British. Waaaay more jobs!

This is not a racist offense. I like foreign people, my best friend's Polish, and it's nothing personal, it's just that Britain is only a small place and there isn't much room for half the population from other countries too. British people need jobs too. There are plenty of youngsters out there who are in their mid 20s and still haven't had the chance to have employment, and now they are raising the retirement age! Get rid of the foreigners for a start, create more homes and jobs and make room for the British in our OWN COUNTRY!

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't want to die just because humans have gotten so greedy with money. Why does money have to come first before anything? We all want money but it's no good killing off the entire planet over it and making 99 trillion people die.

I want to at least reach 30. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I need a hug... or if you don't want to, we can sit on different sides.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:02 am

outofplace wrote:
I tend to think negative things are on the horizon, but it has nothing to do with Nostradamus, the Mayans, the Hopi, or any of the other ancient seers that seem to point to a convergence of some sort on a singular date. No, I just look at economic data and the probability that the can can't be kicked down the road much farther with respect to debt and spending. I have my theories as to what this will trigger, but it is all idle speculation until it happens. However, if you are worried about it, look into "prepping". Some of the stuff preppers do is nuts, but some makes sense. There's nothing wrong with keeping a few weeks of canned food and some basic survival supplies at hand in case it all does go haywire.

Agreed.

I think the whole 21 December is just a bunch of silly hype, but there is plenty of evidence that services can be cut at any time, either due to economic/social collapse such as is happening in Greece, or natural disaster such as is currently being experienced in the US w/millions of people losing electricity due to storms.

I've become a prepper myself. We've got several months of food stored, 1200 gallons of rainwater collected, gardening skills, wood heat, some first aid. All of this is just pure practical. What can you do for yourself that will take care of you should there be a quarantine in your area due to bio-terrorism attack or pandemic?

You don't have to develop idiot paranoia about it. It's just like crossing the street... you take care of yourself by looking both ways & wait for a break in the traffic. You don't pretend like there is no traffic & you don't get so paranoid you won't cross the street. You observe the facts, take reasonable precautions & get on w/life.

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

Hi Joe90, I don't think you should spend another minute worrying about it. I think the 2012 thing is all silly hype too, mostly whipped up by the Hollywood film. That film caused my son a lot of worry too.

Perhaps the Mayans couldn't make a calander that was infinite anyway so it had to run out some time?!