Dickhead friends owe me money

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2013, 1:46 am

So I'm pretty much out of money from the $8000 I earned last summer. Most of it, I admit, was spent foolishly... but f**k it, you only live once, right?

Anyway, my asswipe roommate hasn't paid me for internet and my other roommate for electricity since November. Last week, I pulled the wires out of his lightswitch and outlets, cutting off electricity to his room (he's not exactly the "handy" type and thus had no idea how to fix it himself). He gave me about a quarter of the money he owes me (was $90, is now $65), and promised to pay both me and my other roommate back by the end of this week. So far, no money has been forthcoming. I have another friend that I lent $120 to in September, and he's only paid back $60 of it so far. I NEED MONEY DAMN IT. I've tried asking for it nicely, and I get either no response or an extremely noncommittal response along the lines of "I'll have it soon". I lent this money to these people that I considered to be friends out of the goodness of my heart, and they don't pay me back for six months and treat me like s**t when I ask for MY money back in return. I don't want to be an as*hole, but I really don't know what else to do... I have $400 in bills due by Saturday, and only $310 to my name at the moment...

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 2:16 am

never lend money to friends if you want to ever see it again

you are not a bank so dont make loans

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2013, 2:46 am

never lend out money unless you dont ever want to see that person again then its asure fire way get ride of them for good

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 11:16 am

'Neither a borrower nor a lender be'

Good advice from Shakespeare

I lent my ex FWB £100 and haven't had it back

It's a mistake to lend anyone money in my opinion as scenarios such as your own are often bound to occur

I'd make sure that you remove anything of yours from their vicinity and make sure they get the use of nothing
belonging to yourself until they pay up

I wouldn't be speaking to them either - I'd basically make life very uncomfortable for them whenever they were in
the same room as me so that they were always aware of the debt they still owed

I'd stop being their friend full stop

Last edited by nessa238 on 03 May 2013, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 7:07 pm

Yeah, me too. I paid for someone's car to be repaired, and probably won't ever be repaid. They did work part of it off, so that's good.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 9:00 pm

I have another cliche to add:

(Having been in business and learning that sometimes collection is a part of that):
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I experienced the truth of this on both sides of the debt coin. You don't need to be angry or punishing*, just persistent. Do it on a schedule, like weekly or when the last promised-time arrives. It's a pain in the backside to be sure, but it's a part of adult life.

* Some punishments are relevant, like the electric company and the loss of power due to unpaid bills. Yes, you were the electric company.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 10:26 pm

I hate to agree with the responses but .. the mistake was yours to begin with. Take your losses. If you don't have a lot of money to begin with, don't lend it out. If you have extra, invest it into a savings of some kind. If you REALLY want to help a friend in need, GIVE it to them. As far as your roomate's concerned - tough call. Don't connect the electricity until it's all paid. You might want to reconsider your living arrangements. Sorry.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 10:33 pm

I never "lend" money.

Only two times in almost 60 years have I been asked for money. Both times I chose to instead give it as a gift without expectation of return, though I did not let them know I considered it a gift.

The first time the guy disappeared; that was no problem because I considered it a gift and I had no expectation of repayment.

The second time the guy tried to repay me. I insisted he instead do something charitable with it, which he did.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 3:04 am

MountainLaurel wrote:
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

… except when it gets replaced.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2013, 11:35 pm

I though you said from another post on the dating site that you have money lol