Keep ''hearing'' people laughing at me, is it in my head?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The thought of being laughed at by strangers really panics me. It just makes me feel dehumanized. It also makes me feel like I should go out one day doing something that is really funny, like manically dancing about in one spot with my knickers round my ankles and a lampshade over my head. Then people will have something to laugh at, and I can then stop and say, ''well, you laugh at me when I'm being normal so now I'm giving you all something you can laugh at!''

If people find me that funny (which I don't know how, why don't they just laugh at a bird flying in the sky?!), then why don't they wait until they have passed me then whisper to their little friend, ''you know that stupid girl that has just passed us....?'' I thought that was one of the social rules. Whenever I'm with any NT (and this has happened SO MANY times with so many different NTs) and we see someone a bit funny, they always whisper about them to me where it's not within the person's earshot. So why don't people do it to me? That way I won't worry about it because I will be none the wiser.

I'm sure it is just in your head, you're self-conscious and your mind is playing tricks on you. I had that before, a few years ago when I was about your age. And I just had this fear of being judged negatively.

I don't think it has to be any condition or disorder or anything, just that you become increasingly aware of yourself and other peoples reactions. After I was diagnosed I was like "Am I doing things wrong?", "Do I look weird? Behave weird?" And it took a while before I was sure nothing was wrong with how I look or behave walking down a street.

There could be some chance that younger teenage girls in couple walking by would like giggle passing you. They only do this because they are insecure and you should not let that affect you.

Joe90 wrote:
Just now my mum and her sister were laughing at something on the telly. I asked what they were laughing at, and they say it was a man running with his arms waving around and his head bobbing. It was noticeably funny to them. I walk nothing like that, and nothing to laugh about. I would send a picture of myself and you will all be surprised, but the thought of people examining a picture of me makes me feel uncomfortable because someone probably will point out something even if it isn't unusual in the NT world. Like I said, by gazing at a picture of an Aspie your mind will start playing tricks on you and you probably will begin to see all kinds of stupid things about me what aren't there or noticeable to a stranger walking by.

The mind will not start playing tricks on you if you look at a picture of an aspie. Aspie and NT look just alike. This isn't Downs. There will be nothing wrong with how you look.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 3:49 pm

I used to get like stage fright when I walked passed people and my walking used to go all funny and wobbly. I think that's why I took to riding my bike everywhere. It's a really rotten feeling.