That's probably why I don't relate to most members here.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:25 pm

I am almost convinced lately SPD describes better my case than AS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_p ... y_disorder

It describes me perfectly:

"Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by:

a lack of interest in social relationships ---> Check, while at times I still have need for it, I don't instinctively have the motivation to build them.

a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle --> True, hell yes.

secretiveness ---> True, my family and my colleagues often described me as "the deep well"; since I even hide the things which are extremely bothering me; they know about them only when i am really cornered.

emotional coldness ---> True; and people find this very obvious. Often called "ice" or "board" for it.

sometimes (sexual) apathy ---> True; 29 virgin, been invited by colleagues to brothel nights several times and wasn't interested ; never attempted to hire a hooker ; never attempted to seek casual sex of any type; my persuasion for any "potential" relationship (aka, pursuing a girl I like) were always very short-lived (any sign of disinterest and puff: no more interest. Had 2 limerences but i think this is totally unrelated to sexual needs.

with a simultaneous rich, elaborate, and exclusively internal fantasy world ---> True; there are fantasy (not the sexual type) worlds and simulations inside.

According to DSM:

Neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family
Almost always chooses solitary activities
Has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
Takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
Lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
Appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
Shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affect

^ 99% matching except there's a desire for relationships (and friendships) but I would never enjoy too much closeness nor I have the mental energy or motivation to actually build them.

The World Health Organization has some more criteria that I relate to:

Indifference to either praise or criticism. ----> Hell yes. In fact, I just hate to be praised.

Indifference to social norms and conventions.---> yup, that's me too.

Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection. ---> can't be other than me.

Moreover, I don't relate to many issues often mentioned here, like the sensory issues, I don't think I have any extreme sensory allergy in order to be described as sensory issue. No texture or smells bothers me and makes me mad. I never also related to the "meltdown" stories, not even once, to me they sound like extreme loss of temper and that's it, most probably because I really don't know what it is like.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 13 Jan 2012, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

Schizoids can be social naturals. If you understand the social game as well as the typical "NT", but you just don't enjoy the game as they usually do, then yes, you might have schizoid instead.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

Not all Aspies have serious sensory issues and a lot of adults don't have meltdowns. And most aspies would probably fit the diagnostic criteria for scitzoid PD to some degree so I don't think this is something easy for you to evaluate yourself. I would take these thoughts to a professional!

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2012, 4:44 pm

I am exactly the same way except there are things listed on here that pull me back into the Asperger's Spectrum. I laughed a bit at this part:

"Indifference to either praise or criticism. ----> Hell yes. In fact, I just hate to be praised."

Indifference means you are neither for or against it and here you are saying you hate praise which would mean you're actually not indifferent hehe. Just something I noticed, not trying to rip on you.

Before I had found out about my Asperger's Syndrome I always thought I was some kind of psycho or something and would grow up, get set off, and start killing people O.O Then I just figured out I don't like people messing with my stuff.. it f***s up my whole day.. like someone jamming their spit covered thumb into a freshly baked pie your grandmother spent time and love making for you.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:52 pm

^ Well, let's drop the indifference part then ;p.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

psychegots wrote:
Not all Aspies have serious sensory issues and a lot of adults don't have meltdowns. And most aspies would probably fit the diagnostic criteria for scitzoid PD to some degree so I don't think this is something easy for you to evaluate yourself. I would take these thoughts to a professional!

You're right, but what's the point to do that? A personality type can't be cured.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

Asperger's cant be cured. Personalities disorders are generally really hard to do anything about yes, but it is possible.

Anyway, knowledge is power. And you do care because you made this topic. Not knowing if I really had Asperger's or not made me crazy the days I waited for my evaluation. I don't get you who can just live without knowing for sure, but hey I'm not trying to start yet another "self diagnosed" vs "diagnosed" thing here so don't take it the wrong way.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm

The description provided here fits me, too, except I just don't understand social interaction.

AS it is for me! :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Schizoids can be social naturals. If you understand the social game as well as the typical "NT", but you just don't enjoy the game as they usually do, then yes, you might have schizoid instead.

Maybe, but don't you think the lack of experience in getting into the game would make you make less skilled to fully understand and play the game?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:03 pm

psychegots wrote:
Asperger's cant be cured. Personalities disorders are generally really hard to do anything about yes, but it is possible.

Anyway, knowledge is power. And you do care because you made this topic. Not knowing if I really had Asperger's or not made me crazy the days I waited for my evaluation. I don't get you who can just live without knowing for sure, but hey I'm not trying to start yet another "self diagnosed" vs "diagnosed" thing here so don't take it the wrong way.

I would probably do that in total secretiveness then; there's a strong stigma against people with "psychological" issues here.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 5:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I would probably do that in total secretiveness then; there's a strong stigma against people with "psychological" issues here.

Now I agree with that. I live In Noway, but I have come to understand that at lest people in the U.S. are obligated to inform potential employers of their disorders (!?). If that's correct, I completely get it. I would go to some private psychologist, if that's possible, to prevent it from going in "the system".

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:10 pm

I think you are too opinionated to have that.

I dont relate to anyone on here, but I dont think that matters, I dont care what Ive got anymore, I dont think putting a label on it makes it any more bearable or pleasant.

have a browse of this forum and see if you relate to it more
http://www.psychforums.com/schizoid-personality/

Ive looked on all the different PD forums on psychforums.com but dont relate to any of them better than here, I think Im just not good at relating to people.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:12 pm

psychegots wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Now I agree with that. I live In Noway, but I have come to understand that at lest people in the U.S. are obligated to inform potential employers of their disorders (!?). If that's correct, I completely get it. I would go to some private psychologist, if that's possible, to prevent it from going in "the system".

Huh? We aren't obligated to inform employers of our disorders unless it affects our performance.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:55 pm

Have you considered that your SPD maybe a learned behavior from living with domineering parents? The secretiveness and coldness could then be considered learned behaviors you used to shield yourself from an environment that you didn't exactly fit in with.

If that is the case, then the best thing to do is unlearn those behaviors, but at an older age, I admit it would be pretty hard to do.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

The-Raven wrote:
I think you are too opinionated to have that.

I dont relate to anyone on here, but I dont think that matters, I dont care what Ive got anymore, I dont think putting a label on it makes it any more bearable or pleasant.

have a browse of this forum and see if you relate to it more
http://www.psychforums.com/schizoid-personality/

Ive looked on all the different PD forums on psychforums.com but dont relate to any of them better than here, I think Im just not good at relating to people.

Funny that I relate to this thread http://www.psychforums.com/schizoid-per ... 68170.html there; I never smoke (only few hookah very very rarely) and drink very occasionally; and never drink to get drunk.

but meh...i think a lot of people are like this after all...

and you're probably right about the label thing, they're barely constructive.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 13 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Maybe, but don't you think the lack of experience in getting into the game would make you make less skilled to fully understand and play the game?

Less skilled, yes. Not less natural.

I've seen first hand what a less experienced person is typically like socially (in one of my brothers when he was still a teenager). Better than I could ever be with the experience I have.