For people in their late 30's.Have you lost taste for food?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 9:28 pm

As I get into my late 30's I find that I have lost taste for a lot of food. Simply put, I am just sick of eating the same thing. I have tried just about every food with every twist multiple times throughout my lifetime.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 9:59 pm

I have always been extremely sensitive to taste. The only thing that has made me lose my sense of taste was a traumatic event that happened about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with PTSD after the event. At the time I almost completely lost my taste, everything tasted like cardboard. Gradually my sense of taste returned (over about a year) but it is still blunted. However since it was extremely sensitive before, I think I still have a greater sense of taste than a lot of people. I can taste "layers" in food and can make recipes in my head and predict how something will come taste before I make it.

Maybe stress has worn away your sense of taste? Have you really tried EVERY food including all ethnic varieties?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 12:58 am

yes, it took me a long time to work my way through the various foods and restaurants of my life but eventually you do get more bored with food. It's especially the cooking I'm sick of.

same thing happened with classical music, i finally have heard it all.

you could try smoking pot, that gives you the munchies.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2009, 8:38 am

I have not experienced that, but food is my barometer for how my AS is going. My diet definitely reflects my mental state.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 8:42 am

I'm 48 and I've gradually lost the ability to taste things the way I did when younger. A big mac and fries was the next best thing to Heaven in 1976. Now it just tastes like crap. I thought it was the product but it's actually me. I used to "DELIGHT" in eating Dunkin' Donuts. Now, all I can taste is the fat and sugar...terrible. One good thing...I've never been thinner in all my life...I can wear things now I never could before...bright colors, scanty tops, etc... Too bad I'm an old bag though.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:53 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
A big mac and fries was the next best thing to Heaven in 1976. Now it just tastes like crap.

Its sounds to me a bit more that your taste have become more sophisticated and not been "lost". I have the same experience with MCD's and if i want good food i rather go to a Thai fastfood establishment.

Only if i am waiting for the buss, are extremly hungry and have 5 minutes till the buss arrive, i'll consider regular fastfood.