Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:16 pm

I'm not interested in using a high-iq society for socialization. I expect to have just as many communication problems in such an arena as I have in other social situations, and I could certainly do without yet another social outlet that is dominated by men. I would join a forum (not a RL group) mainly to observe.

I had ruled out Mensa before I'd even composed this thread. I already had some idea that it was a sort of bottom of the heap social club before you all posted about it, although I can't pinpoint where I got that idea.

Last edited by starkid on 27 May 2015, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:18 pm

:idea: mebbe there needs to be a high EQ club. :idea:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:34 pm

starkid wrote:
slave wrote:
High IQ does not have as strong of a correlation with overt success as one might expect.

Why is there always someone who has to comment some variant of the "IQ doesn't mean that much" in EVERY discussion that involves IQ? I'm tired of it. It's like every other person is insecure or suspicious or something about how IQ will be interpreted and project that onto every discussion involving IQ.

I ask you, what is the relevance of the correlation (or lack thereof) between IQ and success? What does that have to do with this thread? Besides that, different people have different standards of success, so how are we to interpret this statement? IQ lacks a strong correlation with slave's idea of success?

Our Society has a generally accepted though not exclusively held conception of success. We are bombarded with it everyday.

Who is admired as successful in our Society?

There are geniuses who live at home in their parents basement, have poor hygiene, dress poorly, can't keep a job, have a low status job, are socially inept, and poor.

That is NOT our Society's definition of success.

Did I say this definition of success was right? NO

High IQ does NOT guarantee marital,educational, sexual, social, business, or financial success.

One would expect that a genius would do well in education...some don't.

One would expect that a genius would do well in business and financial matters...many don't.

Having a high IQ is having a high POTENTIAL....it is a wonderful trait.

"Why is there always someone who has to comment some variant of the "IQ doesn't mean that much" in EVERY discussion that involves IQ? I'm tired of it."

I did not do that.
I am not minimizing the value of a high IQ.
IQ means a LOT...it just isn't a guarantee

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 10:56 pm

TL;DR: Your comment about IQ and success still seems to be an irrelevant, oft-parroted platitude. It seems we view IQ differently and that has perhaps led to a misunderstanding.

slave wrote:

Nor did I suggest that you did.

Quote:

High IQ does NOT guarantee marital,educational, sexual, social, business, or financial success.

I ask again: what does that have to do with this thread?

Quote:

Well, there's the disconnect. Do you expect people reading or participating in this thread to assume that? Was that the purpose of the comment about IQ and success? I wouldn't expect that (for education or any of the other domains of potential success you listed), nor would I assume that other people would expect that, especially since the comment you made has been repeated so many times. It's actually rather obvious that the skills tested on an IQ exam are at best a subset of the skills needed to succeed at such things.

Even if I did expect that, I don't see what it has to do with anything in this thread. The OP says that I want to join a high iq society to satisfy my curiosity about the discussion and social interaction. The members of such a society needn't have succeeded at much of anything to provide that.

Wait...there is a brief comment about underachieving Mensans in the thread.

Quote:

...and?

Quote:
Quote:
"Why is there always someone who has to comment some variant of the "IQ doesn't mean that much" in EVERY discussion that involves IQ? I'm tired of it."

I did not do that.

I consider the statement that IQ doesn't correlate strongly with things that you assume people will believe (or know people to have believed) it to correlate strongly with to be a variant of "IQ doesn't mean that much." I won't claim any great precision for that characterization; my point was that I've noticed a pattern, and you appear to be a part of it.

Quote:

Ok. I don't consider myself to have accused you of "minimizing" the value of IQ, so I don't know why you have made this statement. I'm not even sure what it means to minimize the value of IQ because the value placed on IQ is individually, subjectively determined, and therefore not something that one can minimize at will.

Quote:

We are apparently on different pages from totally different books. I consider the meaning of IQ to be far from certain or concrete and the value of it to be almost entirely subjective (meaning a lot to some, and little or nothing to others), so unqualified statements about how much IQ means (beyond concrete, non-interpretive statements concerning the tasks on which the score is based and the methods of test performance evaluation) are all but meaningless to me.

Dare I suggest, the misunderstanding lies in that you are talking about IQ as if it has objective or, at least, nearly universally agreed-upon, meaning or value; since I don't believe that anything has objective meaning or value, least of all abstract concepts such as IQ, and for the most part do not view others' valuation of IQ as something that needs to be influenced, particularly in a context (such as this thread) in which no one has expressed much interpretation or valuation of IQ one way or another, your point about the correlation of IQ success and your expansions upon that point, taken at face value, seem useless and misplaced to me.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 10:58 pm

starkid wrote:
TL;DR: Your comment about IQ and success still seems to be an irrelevant, oft-parroted platitude. It seems we view IQ differently and that has perhaps led to a misunderstanding.

slave wrote:

Nor did I suggest that you did.

Quote:

I ask again: what does that have to do with this thread?

Quote:

Well, there's the disconnect. Do you expect people reading or participating in this thread to assume that? Was that the purpose of the comment about IQ and success? I wouldn't expect that (for education or any of the other domains of potential success you listed), nor would I assume that other people would expect that, especially since the comment you made has been repeated so many times. It's actually rather obvious that the skills tested on an IQ exam are at best a subset of the skills needed to succeed at such things.

Even if I did expect that, I don't see what it has to do with anything in this thread. The OP says that I want to join a high iq society to satisfy my curiosity about the discussion and social interaction. The members of such a society needn't have succeeded at much of anything to provide that.

Wait...there is a brief comment about underachieving Mensans in the thread.

Quote:

...and?

Quote:
Quote:

I did not do that.

I consider the statement that IQ doesn't correlate strongly with things that you assume people will believe (or know people to have believed) it to correlate strongly with to be a variant of "IQ doesn't mean that much." I won't claim any great precision for that characterization; my point was that I've noticed a pattern, and you appear to be a part of it.

Quote:

Ok. I don't consider myself to have accused you of "minimizing" the value of IQ, so I don't know why you have made this statement. I'm not even sure what it means to minimize the value of IQ because the value placed on IQ is individually, subjectively determined, and therefore not something that one can minimize at will.

Quote:

We are apparently on different pages from totally different books. I consider the meaning of IQ to be far from certain or concrete and the value of it to be almost entirely subjective (meaning a lot to some, and little or nothing to others), so unqualified statements about how much IQ means (beyond concrete, non-interpretive statements concerning the tasks on which the score is based and the methods of test performance evaluation) are all but meaningless to me.

Dare I suggest, the misunderstanding lies in that you are talking about IQ as if it has objective or, at least, nearly universally agreed-upon, meaning or value; since I don't believe that anything has objective meaning or value, least of all abstract concepts such as IQ, and for the most part do not view others' valuation of IQ as something that needs to be influenced, particularly in a context (such as this thread) in which no one has expressed much interpretation or valuation of IQ one way or another, your point about the correlation of IQ success and your expansions upon that point, taken at face value, seem useless and misplaced to me.

I respect you and have for a long time.
I regret bothering to comment in this thread as my comments have been misunderstood and are obviously unwanted.
I felt that my comments were relevant to the topic and you do not think so.
I dont know if I hit a nerve in you...i hope not
I dont understand why you are interpreting my comments the way you are and reacting in this way...i clearly have much to learn
I will therefore withdraw from this thread in the interest of peace.
My apology to the OP for this occurring in your thread.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 11:54 pm

What is the purpose of joining a high IQ society?
I ask for information, I never felt a need to join one.
My school is a society of smart people most of whom don't know their IQ, never measured.
I am only interested in my special interest topic, and not even interested in talking about it, so it seems that high IQ society would have no attraction to me for discussing topics with others.
Offline, socializing with people at a high IQ society once a month for no particular purpose seems boring too.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 9:53 am

"People who boast about their IQ are losers."
-Stephen Hawking

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 3:01 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
"People who boast about their IQ are losers."
-Stephen Hawking

:thumright:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 4:03 pm

one doesn't necessarily join mensa and such for bragging rights. i joined more to make friends.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 4:08 pm

I guess I wouldn't join any group that would not have me.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm

I got carried away!

Callidus
Capabilis
Magnus
Egregius
Profundus
Prudentia
Star intellects
Secret society
The high intellect society
The enigma society
Four sigma society

Most of those are very low traffic sites. The Facebook high IQ groups are busier. Lakovos Koukas , who administers several of such groups, has recently created some groups for specific topics.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

27 Aug 2021, 3:23 am

Aniihya wrote:
I quit mensa because of the snobbish elitist attitude the local members had. They used their score as a measure of superiority and when someone comes along who scored higher than then (like me), you expect that if they use IQ as a measure of superiority that you would get respect. On the contrary: You are met with jealousy. That local group was a bunch of narcissistic snobs who don't contribute to society and cannot prove their intelligence through practical means.

This doesnt surprise me, many in the Narcissistic Disorder forums were part of Mensa, very high IQ and said they only saw it as beneficial for the display.

Interestingly enough autistic people share a trait with NPD people in the sense of perception, when they describe certain things or an environment they sound similar to us, because their reading isnt automatic, like its not for us. We do it actively by implication. Makes sense for the common saying some sometimes use "read the room."

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 6:26 am

I'm very possibly the least, or one of the least, intelligent member(s) of a FB group I post on. That doesn't stop me from praising the superior scores of others. For me doing such tests are a not always successful attempt to convince myself that there's at least one thing I'm not totally crap at . I say 'not always successful' because ' imposter syndrome' comes into play more often that not.

As another member said about me-

Quote:
I've been reading your posts for some time and I think we suffer from the same kind of earthquake. The magnitude may differ, 6.5 for me, 8 for you, but in both cases we see destruction. "I can solve this, then everybody can". "I can't solve this then I'm stupid".

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:10 am

Mensa is a large, international organization. If you've met one Mensan you've met one Mensan.

It is quite possible you could bump into some folk in Mensa who just want to talk about how smart they are--but that has not been my experience. It seems to me that topic typically is raised by someone new who incorrectly thinks that's what Mensans spend their time talking about.

If you come across an unpleasant conversation in Mensa you should do the same thing you should do on WP: don't leave, just find a different conversation!

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 2:36 pm

It isn't something I would be interested in, no.

Edit:
I'm not particularly social though :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 3:09 pm

Flown wrote:
I'm not particularly social though :)
Neither am I. Usually I sit quietly in the fringes--sometimes I find an interesting conversation. And Mensans like to eat.

Nonetheless, I met my bride in Mensa. And made some friends who drove hundreds of miles (or hundreds of kilometers) to attend our wedding.