0 is Odd 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 is Even 89%  89%  [ 34 ]
Do you expect me to know? 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2009, 1:48 pm

I've been having this arguueament with a teacher since I was first Dx'ed.....
Is 0 an odd or an even number?

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:10 pm

If every other number is an even number and 1 is an odd number, it's only logical to assume that 0 is indeed an even number.

If the term odd implies that a sharing of an integer number into two distinct "containers" would cause an imbalance in the amount between the two, then the number 0 would cause both containers to be balanced. They will both contain the same amount, namely 0.

<number> / 2 = <an integer> means <number> is an even number. 0 / 2 = 0. The answer 0 is an integer, ergo 0 is an even number.

You can take the formula <number> modulus 2, where the result is 0 if the number is even, and 1 if the number is odd.

0 modulus 2 = 0, ergo the number 0 is an even number.

sqoouf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2009, 2:24 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
If every other number is an even number and 1 is an odd number, it's only logical to assume that 0 is indeed an even number.

Hang on, your equations seemed to say so, but then what is the value of 0? It surely cant be "just nothing", IMO there's no such thing as nothing. You've got to really think logically, but surely there can't be nothing.
Think about space. Think about what you will see if there was "nothing", no, not black, because in the complicated scripting of life, everything must have a value, otherwise it dosent make sense.
Oh, wow - I didn't realise that simply by asking people about the odd/even state of 0 would actually make me think like that. Isn't everything just amazing!
Anyway, I'm confusing myself! I will post up my conclusion on "does nothing exist?" later.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:24 pm

I was under the impression that zero means nothing. It is neither odd or even. A fulcrum point between the positive and negative numbers. I am no mathematician ... I could be easily wrong.

I have difficulty with the concept of not being allowed to divide by zero. It seems to me if math was such a universal language, that you wouldn't have such restrictions.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:31 pm

Both of you fail to see that the value 0 is not a physical value, but a mental approximation, or thought experiment if you will, about the concept of nothing (even if "nothing" doesn't exist). It's a mentally constructed model. Just like the math generally isn't trying to describe nature exactly which is impossible anyway, but is a tool to describe nature as closely as possible. In nature, there are actually no numbers at all. No zeros, no ones, no twos. They are just intellectual tools, or attributes, we apply to nature to create order in the apparent chaos.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 3:30 pm

sluice wrote:
I have difficulty with the concept of not being allowed to divide by zero. It seems to me if math was such a universal language, that you wouldn't have such restrictions.
The reason why a number can't be divided by 0 is because the result is undeterminable. It is said that the result has no meaning. Given the formula in reverse, any number multiplied by 0 equals 0 which means when you divide by 0 the result is any number. In certain mathematical contexts, the result of x / 0 is defined to be infinity.

The result of x / 10 equals one tenth of x, while x / 2 equals one half of x and x / 1 equals one x. x / 0.001 equals 1000 x:s and this shows that the result approaches infinity when the divisor approaches 0 and infinity is not a number. Since infinity is not a number, the result of x / 0 can never be accurately calculated.

Last edited by Kenjuudo on 24 Jun 2009, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 5:03 pm

Most likely it's an even number.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 5:06 pm

Zero is an even number.

A number (other than zero) can be divided by zero. Result is infinity.

X/0=∞

However zero can't be divided by zero! Result is undefined.

0/0=N/A

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 5:45 pm

The sum of zero and a negative number is negative.
The sum of zero and a positive number is positive.
The sum of zero and zero is zero.
The sum of a positive and a negative is their difference; or, if their absolute values are equal, zero.
A positive or negative number when divided by zero is a fraction with the zero as denominator.
Zero divided by a negative or positive number is either zero or is expressed as a fraction with zero as numerator and the finite quantity as denominator.
Zero divided by zero is zero.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 5:56 pm

I understand that as you approach zero in the denominator, that the magnitude of value approaches infinity. I just view it as taking one apple and dividing it into an infinite number of pieces. However at zero, the meaning becomes absurd. How can you take nothing of something and come up with infinity? The mathematical language breaks down here, from my novice opinion.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

digger1 wrote:
The sum of a positive and a negative is their difference; or, if their absolute values are equal, zero.
You can also say "the sum of a positive and a negative is their difference; if their absolute values are equal, the difference happens to be zero."

digger1 wrote:
Zero divided by zero is zero.
This is dependent on the context. In normal algebra the result is undefined. ;)

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:09 pm

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:14 pm

hm...i always thought of zero as black. black isn't a color, zero isn't a zero. what do i know, though, i hate math.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:38 pm

Black makes sense. ROYGBIV as you head on out into eternity. Numbers and math are cool, but I am much better at other things.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:39 pm

Yeah, I think of zero as black too. But black is really a color. We had that discussion already, but color is not a property of objects but a perceptive interpretation of light by your eyes and brain. Black is an absense of light, and is thus perceived as the color black.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

Light is cool too. From my understanding, certain wavelengths are absorbed by an object and reemitted, usually with a longer wavelength, in all directions. Those wavelengths reach the eye and are perceived as a color if they are able to excite compounds in the eye's cone cells.