Anyone here understand what cats want?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:44 pm

I'm looking after a cat at the moment, just me and the cat. For the first couple of days we ignored eachother, I just gave it food and water. Then it started wanting to be around me, and climb on me and rub itself against my legs, and sit next to me making noises - what is it trying to get through this behaviour, what is it wanting?

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

Probably trying to lure you into a false sense of security while it plots to make you it's man-slave.
Cats are crafty. :lol:

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

Cats are the most capricious pets ever, they want to make you miserable. Mine does, he meows and scratches at my door, hops on my bed, lays down for 10 minutes. hops off and stands in front of the door, I open it and the cycle repeats.

Its a cat thing basically.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

When a cat does the things mentioned in your post, it means he/she wants your attention and affection. Cats are generally very laid-back, docile creatures.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:07 pm

Cogs wrote:
I'm looking after a cat at the moment, just me and the cat. For the first couple of days we ignored eachother, I just gave it food and water. Then it started wanting to be around me, and climb on me and rub itself against my legs, and sit next to me making noises - what is it trying to get through this behaviour, what is it wanting?

It's probably gotten used to you by now and is wanting attention. Cats are like Aspies, they don't like changes in their environment :lol: if you just got the cat for the first few days it was probably still a bit skittish from being relocated. Now that it's gotten used to it's new environment and it's new caretaker (you) its trying to be friendly.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:07 pm

AJCoyne wrote:
Probably trying to lure you into a false sense of security while it plots to make you it's man-slave.
Cats are crafty. :lol:

Though a definite possibility, and very funny, I would guess the cat is missing its home and its person right about now and just looking for a liitle bit of attention/affection. But when they rub on you like that they are also scent marking you as territory so be ready man slave!

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:09 pm

AJCoyne wrote:
Cats are crafty. Laughing
Thankfully this arrangement will be coming to an end soon, however given that I am posting on WP about how to give this cat what is wants, I think it's plan may already be in action.

NeueZiel wrote:
Cats are the most capricious pets ever, they want to make you miserable. Mine does, he meows and scratches at my door, hops on my bed, lays down for 10 minutes. hops off and stands in front of the door, I open it and the cycle repeats.

Its a cat thing basically.
Haha, sounds a bit like this cat, though I am now just leaving all the doors open.

LiberalJustice wrote:
When a cat does the things mentioned in your post, it means he/she wants your attention and affection. Cats are generally very laid-back, docile creatures.

Ok, can you specify/quantify what I need to do in terms of giving it attention and affection?

Roxas_XIII wrote:
It's probably gotten used to you by now and is wanting attention. Cats are like Aspies, they don't like changes in their environment Laughing if you just got the cat for the first few days it was probably still a bit skittish from being relocated. Now that it's gotten used to it's new environment and it's new caretaker (you) its trying to be friendly.
Ok, its being friendly? Hmmm, what do I need to do for it to leave me alone again?

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:13 pm

Since the arrangement will be ending soon, I won't go into details about how cats are really the ones in charge. If you want it to leave you alone, you are out of luck since you have to keep caring for it until its person returns. The best way for all involved in this situation is too just pet the cat a bit. Stick to its head and back. Avoid the belly at all costs!! !! Cats will not be ignored so better to give in before it raises the stakes.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Jul 2012, 5:43 pm

Cogs wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
It's probably gotten used to you by now and is wanting attention. Cats are like Aspies, they don't like changes in their environment Laughing if you just got the cat for the first few days it was probably still a bit skittish from being relocated. Now that it's gotten used to it's new environment and it's new caretaker (you) its trying to be friendly.
Ok, its being friendly? Hmmm, what do I need to do for it to leave me alone again?

Just ignore the cat. It will go away eventually.

Though I'd prefer having the cat on my lap or snuggling with me, but that's just me.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 10:35 pm

It likes you! Put a sock on its head. It won't like you after that.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 10:43 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
The best way for all involved in this situation is too just pet the cat a bit. Stick to its head and back. Avoid the belly at all costs!! !! Cats will not be ignored so better to give in before it raises the stakes.
Regular bursts of petting seems to have satisfied the cat. Though I really am not keen on the way it is hanging around me now.
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Just ignore the cat. It will go away eventually.
Though I'd prefer having the cat on my lap or snuggling with me, but that's just me.
The problem is that it will not ignore me. Feeding an animal is a bad idea.
Sparx wrote:
It likes you! Put a sock on its head. It won't like you after that.

Haha, brilliant :lol: It never occurred to me that the cat might like me, I don’t think much of the cat.

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 10:46 pm

The cat is rubbing against you because it's saying, "ok, I trust you a bit more. You must be one of the family." He is accepting you and treating you like a member of the household.

Cats rub against each other in colonies to solidify their social bonds.

Cats are interesting because they're mainly solitary creatures, but they can also become gregarious in certain situations (like colonies or human households with other cats).

If you want it to leave you alone, walk away from it or ignore it. Cats aren't hierarchical so they don't listen to commands or "training"--but if you learn the body language it's easy to communicate with them. What does the cat do when it wants you to leave it alone? It walks away.

Edit: I was just reading that cats do have "hierarchies" in groups. But it's more about who gets what territory. What I meant was that cats don't do things for the leader's approval, like dogs do. I also read that cats with higher ranks will get the most rubs from other cats. So maybe it's just complimenting you on your rank.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 12:15 am

Cats can tend to like people who aren't that interested in them, as well. You could try being overly gushy and dressing it up in ridiculous outfits and annoying it at the times it does want to be alone, then it will get sick of you and ignore you again :D

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 7:11 am

Cats want:

Your soul.
Food.
Attention.
Your soul.
The most comfortable chair.
Your bed.
Your soul.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q[/youtube]

You do not own cats, they own you. You are their pet, not the other way around. You also serve them, so you are a cross between an asexual sexslave(read slave) and a pet. When they rub up against your leg, they are marking their territory, squirting scent(not peeing, chill dude!) on you so other cats know you belong to them. I love cats! :D

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

He wants a sandwich. I do the same thing.