Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:10 am

If you love the 60s, this thread is for you. If you don't, than you don't have to post here.

The thing that makes me appreciate the 60s, is the music and the fashions. There were also the Mods and Rockers in England, back in the decade that grabs my interest. There was music being recorded and performed by The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and my personal favourite, The Kinks. Things were probably a little restrictive at the beginning of this particular decade, but I've heard that things got better, as the decade went on. What are your happy memories of this decade? I know that there was a war going on. I'm also interested in hearing from youngsters who idealize the 60s, as well. This thread is reserved for 60s fans.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:21 am

i do like me some stones

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:35 am

uggg I hate hippys

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:43 am

I'm a child of the 60's and I do enjoy looking back at the fashions, the music and the general care-free world that this once was.

Happy memories for me.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:43 am

Yeah if you like the 60s you are a hippy. I hope you were kidding because that statement is disgusting and ignorant.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 9:41 am

I was in the 60s and walked along Carnaby Street and was involved with a genuine Beatles fan.

To be fair : I was never really IN this decade or any other.

Plusses: MacDonald culture barely started, food less varied than today but more real, looser clothes than in the 50s

Negatives: SciFi died [for me, anyhow], Rock went crazy and lost me, Politics got stupid and Hippiedom ruined individuality.

Still, overall: less up tight than the 60s and less dumb than the 70s

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 9:49 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
uggg I hate hippys

You can like the 60s and not be a hippie at the same time. There are many things that make the 60s what they are. There's the start of the Surfer craze. There's the do-wop that's unique to the first three years of that decade. There's the Mods and Rockers - something that strikes a chord with me, personally - who hung out in parts of England for a good part of the Mid-60s. There's the Go-Go craze that took place in the US, from 65 to 67. It's not only hippies. I ask with a sense of humour, have you not been reading my posts? I'm not a hippie. :lol: If you don't care for hippies, that's all very fine.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 9:52 am

bully_on_speed wrote:
i do like me some stones

I agree. The Rolling Stones recorded some really good music, back in those days. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:04 am

i am barely old enough to have experienced the 60s directly, but just the same i am too young to have had any fun back then, as i was just in single digits. i can remember watching a new series called star trek on our brand-new setchell-carlson color console tv set while hiding in the box it came in- the colors were fluorescent, unlike modern tv sets that have a more neutral color palette.
anyways, i liked the music, fashions, hair, and cars. almost as much as i liked the 70s which i WAS old enough to have a little fun in.
i wish i could get into the wayback machine with peabody & sherman and visit 'em a while. i guess i prefer the 2nd half of the 60s, '65-'69, that was the most happening period. it could also be that i was old enough to better remember that half of the 60s.
one of my early radio-listening memories was hearing a news report from the berkeley [california university system] campus about rampant pot-smoking by the students there, and in my little 4 year-old mind i pictured people going about with cookpot-handles hanging out of their mouths. i remember seeing pet clark on a monochrome tv broadcast singing "downtown", her big record at the time, and thinking she was cool and pretty. one day in '69 or whereabouts, riding in the rambler station wagon with my family, out the window we all saw some "hippies" walking down the side of the road as we drove by them slowly- my dad said they were smoking something that didn't look or smell like cigarettes or cigars out in the open, so my father castigated them using crude language, and my mother covered my not-so-virgin ears. the hippies gave him the finger back.
i am a hippie at heart but if i were of age back then, i certainly would not have enjoyed being drafted and sent to vietnam, or being screamed-at by folk like my father, to "go get a haircut ya GD'd long-haired hippy!" like he screamed at my older brothers. i remember lots of cigarette-smoking back then and the yucky stinky ashtrays at home and in most public places. and drive-in movies with hordes of station wagons parked next to those tinny speakers. a new and mysterious thing to young me, something called "the ratings system" - people talked about "x-rated" movies in hushed and giggly tones, it must've been quite a novelty.
it surely was a time, 40+ years long gone now and distant in most folks' memories.

tempus fugit, baby;+)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:07 am

thewrll wrote:
Yeah if you like the 60s you are a hippy. I hope you were kidding because that statement is disgusting and ignorant.

I agree with you, but at the same time, I think we should let it slide.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2010, 11:25 am

The sixties were a decade made entirely out of win. Besides The White Stripes, 60's music is my favorite.

Christophe
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2010, 11:57 am

I love a lot of the things that deal with the culture from the sixties. The music, the movies, the cars, and the women. For some reason, the women of that time period (as with many of the other time periods before that) seemed more real, classy, and weren't as grotesque or self-destructive as SOME of the women today (notice i said some, NOT all). Artists like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Monkees, Dion DiMucci, The Temptations, Del Shannon, Richie Valens, The Righteous Brothers, The Everly Brothers, Tab Hunter, you name 'em, I like to listen to 'em. OH! The Duke of Earl...Gene Chandler! I know that most of these started in the 50's, but they had some great work in the 60's as well. Guys like Fats Dominoe, The Diamonds, Frankie Lymon, I was raised on music like that thanks to my late grandfather (for which I am very grateful). I say that we should keep the memory alive!! !!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2010, 3:50 pm

I was born in 1964, so I remember the '60s. Ignoring the war and other bad things (like any decade), the decade seemed magical. In America we set our sights on the moon and landed. We had dreams that we thought would happen by 2000. Gee...there is too much exciting for me to know where to begin. Here are some things I love from the '60s:

*The Moog synthesizer
*The 1964 World's Fair in New York
*The music---including bubblegum music
*The architecture---contemporary designs---Doo Wop architecture
*The Swamp Fox roller coaster---my all-time favorite roller coaster---built in 1966
*1960's movies---many interesting ones
*There's a lot more

Right now at the school where I teach, the art department is readying itself for next month's annual Culture Fest. They are asking other classes to put exhibits in it. My gifted students are participating. The theme for my class is:

"Passport to the Future---At Home in the 1960's with an Eye on Tomorrow"

We are focusing on the dreams that people had in the 1960's to achieve by the year 2000. These things include scientific achievements, architecture, and medicine---and there will be more. We will have 1960's music playing and some videos to accompany our exhibit.

Some things I have from the 1960's that I love are:

*1961 Airstream Overlander 26 foot camper
*1961 Hammond A 102 Organ with a 1957 model 21H (upgraded to higher wattage) Leslie Speaker
*1966 Hammond E 100 Organ with a 1960's Leslie (I also have a 1947 Hammond CV Organ)
*1960's Farfisa Compact Duo Organ---like the ones used by many of the bands back then
*Large amount of vintage View Master and Tru Vue stereo cards---many from the 1960's
*Some of my HO scale models for my model railroad are from the 1960's
*Large collection of 1960's movies on DVD
*Large collection of 1960's music on CD
*probably a lot more around the house

You can find some neat videos on the internet about the 1960's---for example the 1964 World's Fair, 1960 view of the future, etc.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 1:33 pm

I love those old colour TV sets from the 60s. They have a neat design.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 1:33 pm

Most of the music that I like, is from the 60s, as well.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Feb 2010, 2:29 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I love those old colour TV sets from the 60s. They have a neat design.

My parents bought a Zenith color TV set in 1968 (I think it was 1968). We used that TV as frequently as most people do---so it got a lot of use. That TV lasted until around 1990. No TV that we have ever had since then has lasted like that one did.

Speaking of 1960's stuff, my Mom's dryer in the laundry was bought around 1960 and lasted until around 2008. She used it very frequently. That dryer dried my clothes from the time I was a baby until I moved out of the house when I got married in 1989. Rather than let it get junked, I had it brought to my house where I keep it in an out building. I just couldn't stand to let it be taken away.