Saw these people getting busted by a cop

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:26 pm

So up in the air fireworks are illegal here in Oregon but people in my area drive up into Washington to get those fireworks and they shoot them off down here.

My husband and I were leaving my sister in laws and we drove by this house where there were people and they were having a 4th of July party. They lit off one of those fireworks and my husband and I saw a cop car around the corner and he had his lights off. After the firework went off, the cop turned onto the block to bust those people.

I wanted to turn the car around and go back to watch but my husband told me to just keep going home and it would make us look bad if we did that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:51 pm

I see a lot of people getting busted by the cops. Some of the scenes, are funny to watch. :lol:

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 2:03 pm

why exactly are up in the air fireworks illegal in oregon? just the danger factor i guess. is this all over oregon?

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 2:07 pm

It is heartening when that sort of thing happens.

Once I was driving from Tacoma to San Diego. Coming down out of the Siskyou Mountains, where you cross state lines from Oregon to California, is a pretty steep hill on I-5. The change in speed limits is clearly posted on the hill (from 75 to 70, IIRC). I was going down at a carefully-maintained 70 mph, when some schmuck in a sports car came blasting down the road doing at least 100.

Now, if you've driven in Cali, you know that cops like to hang out in those little pass-throughs where emergency vehicles can make U-turns on the freeway - and you know that they come up every so often with absolutely no warning. As it happens, there's one on this stretch that's just beyond an overpass, so it's really hard to see.

You can imagine how much good it did my heart, to drive past the pass-through and see a cloud of dust, then a couple miles later see Joe Sportscar alongside the freeway, with a CHiP right behind him writing a ticket... :)

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:16 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
It is heartening when that sort of thing happens.

Once I was driving from Tacoma to San Diego. Coming down out of the Siskyou Mountains, where you cross state lines from Oregon to California, is a pretty steep hill on I-5. The change in speed limits is clearly posted on the hill (from 75 to 70, IIRC). I was going down at a carefully-maintained 70 mph, when some schmuck in a sports car came blasting down the road doing at least 100.

Now, if you've driven in Cali, you know that cops like to hang out in those little pass-throughs where emergency vehicles can make U-turns on the freeway - and you know that they come up every so often with absolutely no warning. As it happens, there's one on this stretch that's just beyond an overpass, so it's really hard to see.

You can imagine how much good it did my heart, to drive past the pass-through and see a cloud of dust, then a couple miles later see Joe Sportscar alongside the freeway, with a CHiP right behind him writing a ticket... :)

I saw something similar on a long trip this weekend. There were cops out (it's 4th of July weekend, afterall), so I was going over the speed limit but still keeping it within reason (15 MPH over, tops). A few cars shot past me; about twenty minutes after one zoomed around me, I passed it, as he was on the side of the road with a cop behind him. (Sadly, the one I really wanted to get a ticket - he nearly hit my car when passing me (purposefully cut it super close to my fender; he had a lot of room to pass) and flicked me off - apparently did not.)

Anyway, they might not have done more than warn them with the fireworks. We shot off illegal fireworks all the time when I was younger, and we never had an issue, even though cops went down the street quite frequently. Actually, there was one time when a cop ran over a tank firework, apparently unaware that it was there.

Three years!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 3:19 pm

tinky wrote:
why exactly are up in the air fireworks illegal in oregon? just the danger factor i guess. is this all over oregon?

I think it's all over Oregon and I think it has to do with fire danger. I didn't even know they were illegal until I was told two years ago. People here say they're illegal in Oregon so I would assume it's all over. Plus Oregon is very green and very environmental friendly. That could be it too. I am not sure tbh.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 4:54 pm

Those kinds of fireworks are illegal in Idaho too. I heard a lot of people lighting them off last night; it sounded like a warzone outside. I bet a lot of people got arrested for it.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 8:04 pm

We have a cop that lives on our street and he blew at least a thousand dollars on fireworks every year. Just about all the younger people on my street let off fireworks on the 4th and a few days after.

I worked with a retired Buffalo cop who had some arrest stories he said you would not believe how many times perps peed or pooped their pants when caught. :lol: He said the funniest arrest he had was when these two guys cut a hole in the roof too an autoparts warehouse. He said they had boxes piled so high they did not see the cops come up their own ladder. He said the look out gave up without a fight but the second guy tried to run away while on the roof. He ran off the roof just like Wile E Coyote then fell two stories breaking both ankles. :lol:

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 8:28 am

Speaking as a Fireworks lover. It's sad things have come to this. One of the counties in this state banned Fireworks in the whole county shortly before 4th of July. This count also happens to be the location of one of the largest indian tribes selling Fireworks in the state. I wonder if that had anything to do with the decision?