Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 4:01 am

Did your city/town ever fall a victim to a flood? Because now my country is forced to deal with a flood comparable to the famous "Flood of the Millenium" from 1997, when 10% of Poland was under water. The part of the country I live in is dealing with it but this very part of my town I live in, isn't threatened - it's far from the river and located too high (I live in a town which is described as "Little Rome" - a town on the seven hills - in the guides) but the bulwark in here got broken this night. The neighboring town is partly under water. The bridge on the river in my town is closed and you can't get out or come in. It's estimated that this flood is going to be even bigger than the famous one from 1997. My young cousin is in foster care and the whole family got evacuated due to the flood. There's also a danger that the glassworks in our town which gives employment to many people will be flooded as well.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 7:56 am

I just read that one woman in her 80's from my town got drowned in the flood - she was in a wheelchair. She drowned in her own house.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 10:04 am

I hope never to have a flood, in my area.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 3:20 pm

If the zoo in Warsaw, the capital city, is flooded, the biggest animals are going to be shot. I don't know if they have a sea creatures section in there but I just thought what would happen if they had it indeed and there were sharks :lol: It would be pretty hysterical to release them then :twisted:

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:22 pm

i live in new orleans so that'd a be yes.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Last edited by tinky on 03 Jun 2010, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 6:27 am

When I was in Grade 1, a boy in my class brought some pictures of his flooded neighbourhood, to show us. They were quite a sight to see.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 1:58 pm

Our town is preparing for the next big wave 8O Luckily I live in the safe place.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:01 am

And now Bogatynia city is 75% flooded and cut off from the world. They are showing it on TV all the time.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:04 am

we rarely ever have floods.
sometime in high school the flood siren alarm went off and no one knew what the hell it meant because it didn't sound like the fire drill and we'd never even known we HAD a flood siren :lol:

apparently a heavy and extended rainfall had risen the local rivers enough to make deep puddles on lower parts of the highway though. Nothing serious, just meant that people had to find another way around. But on the upside they let us out of school :)

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:20 am

Another news rocking our country recently is the mysterious disappearance of Iwona Wieczorek. The cameras recorded the teen just before she vanished into the thin air, behind whose back there was this guy carrying a towel hanging from his shoulder. Later a white towel like that one was found - covered with sperm. It had the Bogatynia city logo on. The flood in Bogatynia must be Iwona Wieczorek's revenge from the other world for her killer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:39 pm

Two years ago Cheyenne had a really nasty flash flood. That was a fun day, but our flood events only last for a few hours at a crack. Sorry to hear about you guys.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYB6mpnov8M[/youtube]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:21 am

I was just reading about the latest floods in Europe, almost an hour ago, on the News Channel, on my Wii.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:27 am

There's minor flooding of the streets in my neighborhood every winter. Nothing that endangers anyone's lives, though.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 4:09 am

My town rarely has any floods on a disaster scale but lots of other places north and south of here do, like a place called Bellingen which gets hit really hard, several times in the last year in fact. They should just call it Lake Bellingen as it's under water more than it's not :P

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 4:58 am

My town is pretty famous for its floods, it's had about 30 big ones of the years.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 6:45 am

The last major flooding in my town was in the year 2000 caused by monsoonal rain after a cyclone. Brrr...flooding scares me!