Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:09 am

Disagreement as a last name is hilarious - are your relatives living up to their name, Irulan? :wink:

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:11 am

No, they belong to the most friendly people in my family :D

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 11:19 am

Cockburn.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:36 am

According to Wikipedia, a guy named John T. Outhouse was a teacher who taught in the Portland's first public school in 1851.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_P ... 8Oregon%29

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:00 am

League_Girl wrote:
According to Wikipedia, a guy named John T. Outhouse was a teacher who taught in the Portland's first public school in 1851.

i wonder if he insisted his students pronounce it as "oothoose"? i bet he paddled some behinds who found humor in his name. my first army boss was named mrs. buzzard, but she insisted that everybody address her as "buzz-ARD." but we knew the game was up when her husband called and asked for mrs. buzzard.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:02 am

Met a guy who's last name was Thrower about 6 months ago.

First name "Trae"... If you ask me, thats stupid.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:17 am

Phuc is really common here. I still giggle at the Traen Phuc restraunt near me.

I had a Mrs Stankavicious at primary school. :lol:

So I'm never in a rush

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:19 am

I have known some kids in my area back in Montana that had celebrity names. I once ran into a woman named Julia Roberts and it was not the actress. But she was a grown woman with a child who was older than Julia Roberts. Let's see, I knew a Amanda Perez, Seth Green, and Michael Crawford.

I also knew someone who named her kid Jackson. But I think it's an okay name now. Back then I thought it was weird because it's a last name.

Can I say Campbell be a funny name because there is a food company called that. Ever heard of Campbell's Soup?

I also had a teacher named Ms. Firestone. Now that is a tire company.

I even had a teacher named Ms. Drury. You know Drury Lane from the Muffin Man song?

Last edited by League_Girl on 23 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:44 am

League_Girl wrote:
Can I say Campbell be a funny name because there is a food company called that. Ever heard of Campbell's Soup?

As it's a Scottish clan, Campbell is a very common name around here. It's even my daughter's teacher's name. It's strange to think that it might get laughs elsewhere in the world. :)

The person in charge of addiction services at my local health board is called Dr Cockayne (say it out loud if you don't get the joke, it's not about the first 4 letters). In my job, I had to invite her to meetings and always found the relationship between her name and job to be quite amusing.

I know a few people with the surname Smellie (also Scottish). They say it's pronounced 'Smiley'.

Last edited by Mummy_of_Peanut on 23 Feb 2012, 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:55 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Cockburn.
I assume you know it's supposed to be pronounced 'Coburn'. There are many Scottish names that don't sound as they look, just to confuse everyone, including Scots. :roll:

I wonder how many know how 'Menzies' should be pronounced. (no cheating, I'll tell you later)

Last edited by Mummy_of_Peanut on 23 Feb 2012, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

As it's a Scottish clan, Campbell is a very common name around here. It's even my daughter's teacher's name. It's strange to think that it might get laughs elsewhere in the world. :)

The person in charge of addiction services at my local health board is called Dr Cockayne (say it out loud if you don't get the joke, it's not about the first 4 letters). In my job, I had to invite her to meetings and always found the relationship between her name and job to be quite amusing.

I know a few people with the surname Smellie (also Scottish). They say it's pronounced 'Smiley'.

I used to think it was Camp-Bell than Cam-bull.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Cockburn.
I assume you know it's supposed to be pronounced 'Coburn'. There are many Scottish names that don't sound as they look, just to confuse everyone, including Scots. :roll:

I also thought it was pronounced that too.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

Outlaw. I kid you not.

I remember picking up a debit card one time before turning it in to a bank.

First name? Bee.

Bee Outlaw. :lmao:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:16 pm

^LOL^

My uncle knew a couple of men that had hilarious names. Ben Dover and Harry Baltz (Balls).

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:29 pm

Phil McAvity (fill ma cavity).Chuck McCann. Celia Melia
Some of the original meanings of names are funny in themselves.Campbell is Gaelic for 'crooked mouth',likewise Cameron is
'crooked nose' and Kennedy is 'armoured head' or perhaps a nickname for 'ugly head'

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

Last names ending with "bottom" often amuse me (side/long/winter etc.)

Those ending in "man" can also be entertaining (sweet/bonnie etc.). The MAN part is often emphasised.

Quote:
I wonder how many know how 'Menzies' should be pronounced. (no cheating, I'll tell you later)

I wonder how many staff from John Menzies (former newsagent, now logistics and aviation ground services) get it right.