Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

Are lorry drivers and the like more likely to have schizoid traits than autism traits? The few schizoids I've known seem to be pretty much indifferent to, well, everyone so it would fit.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

I don't think truckers are more or less likely to have any sort of disorder.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

No, I'm not saying that they're diagnosed - I'm more likely saying that they're loners who like spending time away from people. It would seem to be an ideal job.

Koan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Lorry = commercial trucks, semis, tractor trailers, right? As for your question...
To be politically correct, no way! That's a terrible thing to say!
To be statistically accurate.... yes, absolutely.

Being isolated reinforces and/or trains those traits (see also: classical conditioning), and also those types are more likely to choose a job like this where their personality traits or behaviors will not cause problems or make them feel bad. I know someone who is a trucker specifically for these reasons. He's a great guy and really fun in general. :)

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:41 am

I thought lorry drivers were hyper-social, if anything. Whenever we used to stop at the motorway service stations there was always a group of men standing around their lorries chatting.

Also, in films, truckers are always talking with each other on CB radios. I think that's a good way to ruin the silence. :lol: