How many people are seriously afraid of firearms?

Page 10 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Are you afraid of firearms?
I'm afraid of people using them wrongly, but am not afraid of their mere form. 40%  40%  [ 20 ]
I'm afraid of the mere form of firearms. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
I don't have a problem with firearms. 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Other stance regarding firearms that you may state below if you care to do so. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
I don't have an opinion, I just want an option to click that says nothing. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 50

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

Now there is something missing in this thread too.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:22 pm

Asp-Z, reports of isolated events prove the existence of those events but not the prevalence. Again, simple logic error.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

fraac wrote:
Asp-Z, reports of isolated events prove the existence of those events but not the prevalence. Again, simple logic error.

Bulls**t, I was able to find 12 shootings in the last month alone from one search on the BBC site, and if I dug around Google News I'm sure I could find a damn lot more. Graphs don't mean anything, statistics are easily manipulated, and I don't even know the source of your information. Look at actual real world incidents from reputable news sources.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

The chart gives 14 murders with firearms for that year - why would you think they didn't happen in the real world? who said they didn't happen in the real world, with real blood, real damage to a human body, real death and real mourning and grief? All f*****g real. But 14 horrific times, not 10,000 horrific times.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

pastafarian wrote:
The chart gives 14 murders with firearms for that year - why would you think they didn't happen in the real world? who said they didn't happen in the real world, with real blood, real damage to a human body, real death and real mourning and grief? All f***ing real. But 14 horrific times, not 10,000 horrific times.

And I just found 12 shootings in the past month alone from a simple BBC search...

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
And I just found 12 shootings in the past month alone from a simple BBC search...

Out of a population of how many? Only 12 shootings seems like a very low number.

Last edited by Burnbridge on 28 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
pastafarian wrote:
The chart gives 14 murders with firearms for that year - why would you think they didn't happen in the real world? who said they didn't happen in the real world, with real blood, real damage to a human body, real death and real mourning and grief? All f***ing real. But 14 horrific times, not 10,000 horrific times.

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

Im not denying your results from BBC via your Google search

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:32 pm

pastafarian wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
pastafarian wrote:

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

2002 you say? Why use such outdated stats? My detailed reports of each incident are from the very last month. What things were like in 2002 bares very little relevance almost a whole decade later.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
pastafarian wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
pastafarian wrote:

2002 you say? Why use such outdated stats? My detailed reports of each incident are from the very last month. What things were like in 2002 bares very little relevance almost a whole decade later.

Yeah cos gun crime has gone down a lot in those years in the US????

In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

I used the available stats from the UN for 2002, that was the year the other poster had provided.

I thought if it had gone down from around 10k to say a comparable 0.1k I might have heard (well 14 for that year but yes sadly the UK will have gone up).

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

More importantly, I'd like to point out that, if you're only looking at the number of murders, of course the US will be higher, they have a significantly larger population. You've got to look at ratios.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

You can't pick newspaper reports and claim they represent things! What the hell? That's NOT HOW IT WORKS. This is where I learn about other aspies being different because I can't imagine not understanding how statistics and logic work.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

Burnbridge wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Out of a population of how many? Only 12 shootings seems like a very low number.

UK population is about 1/5 of the US so I should have been comparing the 2002

9,300 figure with 70, not 14

I'm sure there are lots of other corrections but its ballpark.
Most people I know are astonished by the ballpark figures.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:47 pm

fraac wrote:
You can't pick newspaper reports and claim they represent things! What the hell? That's NOT HOW IT WORKS. This is where I learn about other aspies being different because I can't imagine not understanding how statistics and logic work.

I know how statistics work, and that's how I know they're easily manipulated. I'd much rather look at individual real world examples of something than some chart, and I've just been able to find 12 separate shootings that have happened this month alone.

Seems to me you're just IN A RAGE because I've shown evidence for my point that isn't easily manipulated stats.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 4:47 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
More importantly, I'd like to point out that, if you're only looking at the number of murders, of course the US will be higher, they have a significantly larger population. You've got to look at ratios.

yeah, your right but I didn't need to I could get sense of scale without that

UK population is about 1/5 of the US so I should have been comparing the 2002 '9,300' figure with 70, not 14

I'm sure there are lots of other corrections but its ballpark.
Most people I know are astonished by the ballpark figures.