Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:14 am

I'm not the one who refute the idea from the start. You are talking like you would personally know her.
What's the reason anyway?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:24 am

In the book, The Science of Evil by Cohen (that ASD expert), he puts her as an example of Borderline PD. No mention of her at all near the ASD section in said book.

(I don't even know who she is, but I recall such from the book.)

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:41 am

I don't know her personally (of course) my opinion is just that she doesn't has AS. The OP on the other hand, seems to have made up his mind that she does in fact have it.

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 8:52 am

AnotherKind wrote:
CrystalStars wrote:
^ I assume you're referring to me. I don't have a problem, I'm "debating" the issue.

I'm thinking about people that have no problem talking whether Einstein had asperger's or not, but refuse believing that a beautiful and socially accepted woman could have asperger's just because she's too beautiful and didn't had any math skills? Appearance isn't all.

This is exactly what i was trying to point out, of course people will deny it but i think past what people usually think and from what ive read about her ill stick by my post and say she did in fact have aspergers syndrome. And also id like to point out that yes i do believe alot of people with aspergers are alot higher intelligence then a typical nt, and also are alot more imaginative which is very important as well.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:53 am

AnotherKind wrote:
Ok, i found an article http://thewritingowl.hubpages.com/hub/m ... easpergers
Now i'm reading :D
It does seem possible. I can never forget her reading James Joyce's Ulysses. That never did fit with her public persona. I know she always wanted to be taken more seriously, but the sex kitten persona got in the way of that. I know the confusion of a female acting NT (or trying to) all my life. People never see the real you, and it leads to feeling very misunderstood. Not to mention it's exhausting.

My dad, from whom I think I get Asperger's, also had a mother who was considered mentally ill, and I wonder if she didn't just have Asperger's. It was not really identified or diagnosable until much later (his mother died in 1934).

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 21 Sep 2012, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:54 am

...Where to even begin.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:07 am

CrystalStars wrote:
I don't know her personally (of course) my opinion is just that she doesn't has AS. The OP on the other hand, seems to have made up his mind that she does in fact have it.

Why you don't think she has AS? Just curious.

Dillogic wrote:
In the book, The Science of Evil by Cohen (that ASD expert), he puts her as an example of Borderline PD. No mention of her at all near the ASD section in said book.

(I don't even know who she is, but I recall such from the book.)

They are just speculations. Even some of the 'professional' diagnoses are merely speculations.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:28 am

Not making the case either way, but I came across a page of quotes from her while researching a post in another thread. Some that seem to indicate ASD include:

I restore myself when I'm alone.

I am invariably late for appointments - sometimes as much as two hours. I've tried to change my ways but the things that make me late are too strong, and too pleasing.

First, I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm a person. Then maybe I'll convince myself that I'm an actress.

I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time.

Not really enough evidence for anything, but interesting.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:41 am

AnotherKind wrote:
They are just speculations. Even some of the 'professional' diagnoses are merely speculations.

He makes a pretty good case of her having BPD. I haven't read it recently, but he seemed to think that was actually her label too; perhaps I'm just mistaken by his certainty though.

Her behavior described in the book is totally unlike the behavior he attributes to people with an ASD. His "idea" of AS is actually accurate too.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

Personally speaking...depression comes with it. My son, who's 13, looks forwartd to allergy season because his meds bring him out so he's able to talk to girls. He seems to like stimulants too like tea and coffee. BUT it brings him out to at least be able to talk but the context of his conversation brings him rejection nonetheless. The stimulants get him at least "out there".....so he can go and experience rejection instead of isolation. He only gains favor with the other boys who also get rejected for various reasons. So now, he's in a clique of boys who can never get girls. At least he's not lonely anymore. He VERY good-looking but as soon as he opens his mouth - he's finished!! I assured him that he will eventually get a girlfriend but she won't be out of his dream girl collection. He'll have to settle for "nice" and he'll not be getting any sex anytime soon. He became VERY depressed last year and told his father that he couldn't even get a slag to like him even after bragging about his attributes. My husband and I still laugh at this privately.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

Australia wrote:
now for you to think oh its simply depression or bipolar doesnt make sense because people with depression or bipolar are not good actors. and people with aspergers have a natural acting gift.

WTF? evidence?

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:53 am

Dillogic wrote:
He makes a pretty good case of her having BPD. I haven't read it recently, but he seemed to think that was actually her label too; perhaps I'm just mistaken by his certainty though.

Her behavior described in the book is totally unlike the behavior he attributes to people with an ASD. His "idea" of AS is actually accurate too.

@Dillogic, I'm not disapproving. But for me it's quite saddening that some people make judgements based only on appearance.
I don't know too much about her life, but many times I find myself in the same situation. They don't believe something is different with me even if they have no idea about my inner life and in worst cases, they just believe i'm stupid.

Last edited by AnotherKind on 21 Sep 2012, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:54 am

AnotherKind wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

@Dillogic, I'm not disapproving. But for me it's quite saddening that some people make judgements based only on appearance.
I don't know too much about her life, but many times I find myself in the same situation. They don't believe something is different with me and in worst cases, they just believe i'm stupid.

I re-read the posts after your initial post on appearance, and it seems you were the first one to mention anything to do with it. I certainly never mentioned judging her based solely on he appearance, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

CrystalStars wrote:
I re-read the posts after your initial post on appearance, and it seems you were the first one to mention anything to do with it. I certainly never mentioned judging her based solely on he appearance, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.

First of all, i was talking generally and didn't mentioned any post of yours. Why did you thought i was talking about you?
2nd, please tell me the reason why you don't think she wasn't on the spectrum. I just want to know more! threads are meant to be debated.

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 10:00 am

YellowBanana wrote:
Australia wrote:
now for you to think oh its simply depression or bipolar doesnt make sense because people with depression or bipolar are not good actors. and people with aspergers have a natural acting gift.

WTF? evidence?

i know 2 people with bipolar and about 8 people with depression. i have seen them try and act out things, but when i step in and act anything such as a violent killer. they are so enticed that they believe i am that character. Im not saying everyone with aspergers is a great actor or that everyone with bipolar and depression are bad actors. but i just believe if you get a good aspergers actor that nothing will beat them. (only draw)

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

AnotherKind wrote:
CrystalStars wrote:

First of all, i was talking generally and didn't mentioned any post of yours. Why did you thought i was talking about you?
2nd, please tell me the reason why you don't think she wasn't on the spectrum. I just want to know more! threads are meant to be debated.

I apologize, I should have been clearer. I didn't mean me specifically, I was referring to the other posters of this thread (myself included) in general.

Last edited by CrystalStars on 21 Sep 2012, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.