Tower speakers 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Bookshelf speakers 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Satellite/subwoofer systems 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2007, 11:49 am

Hey, guys. I have another question for y'all. WHat kind of speakers do you like best? Me, I prefer tower speakers, or bookshelves with at least a five inch woofer.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 11:50 am

Satellite/subwoofer systems.

Look at this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3s5db8iDHE[/youtube]

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2007, 2:20 pm

Depends on the application, but I generally prefer towers. They have the best sound quality because the cabinet volume and (generally) bigger woofers produce deeper, richer bass. However, they need to be decent quality (ie. good bookshelves or satellites/subs > crappy towers), you need to have a big enough space for them to be practical, and you need an amplifier with sufficient horsepower to properly drive them.

I use a combination of all three types for my main music/home theater system.

Towers and a subwoofer- PSB Image 5t's for my main left/right (the left one is in this pic) and a PSB SubSeries 6 subwoofer (the speaker on the right side under the TV):

Better view of the sub and my center speaker- PSB Image 9c:

The bookshelf speakers from my old stereo are now my rear surrounds:

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2007, 7:43 pm

Isn't anyone into hifi / home theater? Am I the only gearhead on WP?

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:49 pm

I'd love to have a home theatre, but no room for it (small apartment). Love your warm, soft lighting.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2007, 12:56 am

Thanks. Torchierre lamps are great for that. Unfortunately mine is going to have to go in the near future. We have a baby on the way and the lamp is way too easy for a little crawler to knock over.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 4:04 am

I also plan to get a home theater system when I get a place of my own.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2007, 8:19 am

BubbaHoTep wrote:
Depends on the application, but I generally prefer towers. They have the best sound quality because the cabinet volume and (generally) bigger woofers produce deeper, richer bass. However, they need to be decent quality (ie. good bookshelves or satellites/subs > crappy towers), you need to have a big enough space for them to be practical, and you need an amplifier with sufficient horsepower to properly drive them.

Towers and a subwoofer- PSB Image 5t's for my main left/right (the left one is in this pic) and a PSB SubSeries 6 subwoofer (the speaker on the right side under the TV):

Nice system. How'd you afford it? You must have saved up a fortune for it.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2007, 11:36 am

I'm fortunate enough to have a job that funds my obsessions. :D Plus I didn't buy everything at once. I've been upgrading one piece at a time over the last few years. And I'm not done yet. A Hi-Def DVD player and a wireless link to iTunes on my computer are coming in the near future.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2007, 2:40 pm

BubbaHoTep wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to have a job that funds my obsessions. :D Plus I didn't buy everything at once. I've been upgrading one piece at a time over the last few years. And I'm not done yet. A Hi-Def DVD player and a wireless link to iTunes on my computer are coming in the near future.

And what job would that be?

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2007, 7:23 am

Well, my job doesn't literally fund my obsessions. But it does pay well enough for me to live, support my family, and within reason still indulge my obsessions. I work in IT at a large organization- mostly a programmer (java and .net) but I also do database work, systems analysis, and some website development.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 5:07 pm

Stereokid wrote:
Hey, guys. I have another question for y'all. WHat kind of speakers do you like best? Me, I prefer tower speakers, or bookshelves with at least a five inch woofer.

These:

http://www.genelec.com/products/1032a/1032a.php

Or their previous 1030a, or 1031a models, perhaps in conjunktion with one of their Subs. They have incredibly accurate HF response, and are used in top studio control rooms for nearfield monitoring. --Unfortunately, a pair costs @ $3k.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 9:17 pm

JBL L100

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Dr_Strangelove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2007, 9:26 pm

THX certified Onkyo HTIB, HT-S990THX

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/play-video-496.html

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2007, 9:16 am

BubbaHoTep wrote:

Another question, and no, this one is not about money or jobs. This one is about your subwoofer. What positions do you have the crossover and volume knobs on your subwoofer set at? Do you just turn it all up, or do you try to make sure the sub blends in well with your speakers?

And for listening to music, do you use the subwoofer when listening to music, or do you just use the main speakers only, and in stereo or surround sound?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Apr 2007, 1:05 pm

i just got some regular speakers in my room, i dont really know an awful lot about electronics but they are some ok speakers