Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

27 May 2007, 8:45 pm

A home grown vine ripen tomato sliced with salt is wonderful :) I like to grow basil to go with my tomatoes. Oh while your waiting for your tomatoes to ripen you can pick the green ones slice them, sprinkle with salt, wait a few minutes, drop them in a bag of corn meal and shake, then fry on both sides till golden brown.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 8:49 pm

Todd489 wrote:
Sopho wrote:
I don't think you will overdose on fruit.
I've been eating too many Dairylea Dunkers though.
And Monster Munch.

I've never heard of either of those things but they would both be awesome names for bands.

I would have guessed the first was a donut and the second was a sweet yet salty snack... I would have been WRONG!

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 4:33 am

lau wrote:
A story...

I went driving through Europe down to Greece with friends. As we reached Greece, we saw a guy selling tomatoes at the side of the road. We had very little idea what price we should pay. We didn't speak Greek. He didn't speak English. We haggled a bit (awkwardly). Eventually, we handed over some cash. We discovered that we had bought, not a bag of tomatoes, but both his crates of tomatoes.

They were delicious.

After the five of us had being eating tomatoes all day, every day, for a week, none of us could face another tomato. They went rotten and we ditched them.

I'm fairly sure they can do you no harm.

:lol: Cool, thanks!

I like your Triffid!

Mad_Pharmacist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2007, 10:59 am

Let's see...Tomato peel contains cyanide :skull: I think that's the only bad thing about it.
Then again, it has so many good agents that I'd be glad to be a tomato addict :wink: I prefer carrots, however.

I have Asperger's Syndrome
I love my life!! !!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 11:07 am

Mad_Pharmacist wrote:
Let's see...Tomato peel contains cyanide :skull: I think that's the only bad thing about it.
Then again, it has so many good agents that I'd be glad to be a tomato addict :wink: I prefer carrots, however.

Not as much as almonds. Actually the vitamin c and acid in tomatoes are likely to cause more trouble.

Mad_Pharmacist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2007, 11:16 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Mad_Pharmacist wrote:

Not as much as almonds. Actually the vitamin c and acid in tomatoes are likely to cause more trouble.

I know, ur right. I'm not quite on a mood of analyzing, I just came out of Chemical analysis class, too much acid and base...duh. :wink:

I have Asperger's Syndrome
I love my life!! !!

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 9:11 am

Of course you can overdose on tomatoes: there is no such thing as toxic and non-toxic chemicals - it is only a question of what amount of a chemical constitues a toxic dose.

In more pragmatic terms, I think that tomatoes have a lot of ascorbic acid so if you eat quite a lot you may get stomach acid, heartburn or you may feel sick.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:47 am

JakeG wrote:
Of course you can overdose on tomatoes: there is no such thing as toxic and non-toxic chemicals - it is only a question of what amount of a chemical constitues a toxic dose.

In more pragmatic terms, I think that tomatoes have a lot of ascorbic acid so if you eat quite a lot you may get stomach acid, heartburn or you may feel sick.

Very true. An overdose of water will kill you by drowning.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

29 May 2007, 11:57 am

Some people are fructose intolerant so a very large amount of them in such a person could be a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_intolerance

lau
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:59 am

Also, for those who like a G&T, with a slice, and like to eat the lemon - beware. The pips in a lemon are poisonous. Do not eat too many, at one sitting. IIRC, a bucketful will kill you.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 12:36 pm

lau wrote:
Also, for those who like a G&T, with a slice, and like to eat the lemon - beware. The pips in a lemon are poisonous. Do not eat too many, at one sitting. IIRC, a bucketful will kill you.

Lemon seeds??? :? Apple seeds will release cyanide.

Almonds with the skin on if you eat a whole bag especially if it is a child could make you feel seriously ill.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 12:44 pm

tomatoes contain nicotine

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 1:02 pm

Tomato is fruit isn't it?

If it is, unlike any other fruit you "overdose" on it'll just give you the s**ts. :wink:

Sorry to put it so frankly.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 1:08 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
A home grown vine ripen tomato sliced with salt is wonderful :) I like to grow basil to go with my tomatoes.

yes, they're nothing like store-bought ones. I'd grow some if I had a garden.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2007, 3:00 pm

Tomatoes can also release histamine, so if you are histamine intolerant they may cause a reaction. But this would not kill you, just make you miserable.

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 3:26 pm

lau wrote:

Thats a lot of lemon!

I always eat lemon slices whole if they come with a drink and I haven't come to much harm from it (yet!)