Are you good at imitating accents?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

Ever since I was a young child I've been imitating accents and dialects. I found it fascinating to listen to how people talked and then imitate it. I still do it sometimes and I'm good at it (at least according to other people). I guess that's nice since I sometimes make people laugh by doing so.

Anyway, out of curiosity, are you good at imitating accents and/or imitating people in general?

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

No, not at all.

My english accent is awful. And in swedish I can't do it either.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

I tend to pick them up without trying to, if I'm around people who speak with strong accents that I like for a while. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes. I worry they'll think I'm mocking them. I have to like the accent, though, so I guess I just listen so closely that I start to mimic it without trying.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

My friends and family love it when I imitate a Scottish accent and sometimes ask me to do it for them. I can't tell if it's because I'm really good at it or if I'm hilariously bad at it.

On the other hand, for the past two years I have tried really hard to imitate a London accent (since that's the accent that a couple of my favorite fictional characters have), but I'm just no good at it. :(

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

I'm awful trying to imitate accents. It doesn't just come naturally to me as it seems to be the case with virtually everyone else, who can fake them at least passably.Even my own accent sounds different than how it should, and people sometimes think I'm from another region or another country altogether. Wonder if that's the case with some of you guys.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:50 pm

Oh, yes. I am very good. How was that?

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

yes i am

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2012, 7:34 pm

Meh, I cant even do a reasonable American accent, and thats where Ive lived all my life. Everyone says it sounds weird. Not helped by my annoying high pitched voice and rhotacism.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 7:49 pm

Can't fake an accent (when trying) to save my life, but I unconsciously mimic the accents and speech patterns of those around me. And apparently I do it well enough to fool anyone who doesn't know me.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

No.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

If I am around people who speak with a different accent for very long I tend to start speaking the same way.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 9:28 pm

This is interesting, a fair amount of us can't fake an accent in purpose, with exceptions. What mds and Titangeek said is basically what happens to me, I remember I picked up a bit of a german accent after my year there, which hasn't completely gone away as of now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

I'm not very good at imitating accents.

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

Very

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

Shatbat wrote:
This is interesting, a fair amount of us can't fake an accent in purpose, with exceptions. What mds and Titangeek said is basically what happens to me, I remember I picked up a bit of a german accent after my year there, which hasn't completely gone away as of now.

Yeaup. Leave me somewhere for a month, and by the end of it I will be mimicking it perfectly but completely unaware of it.

However, ask me to do it consciously - and nope, I suck!

With English, it's a bit different. Since I was forced to sound like them when I moved here (or risk beatings), that took it's toll and I prefer not to bother trying as it screwed it up for me. While I can do it perfectly, most of the time I have my normal, very weird and mixed one here.

In the end, whenever I move to a new place, as long as nobody forces it too soon, I end up mimicking it anyway.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

I love it when people imitate other actors.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)