Do you eat chili without crackers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 12:21 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
oh yeah, my dad (peruvian) made a lot of chili con carne when i was little. i gotta push him into inviting me for some, again, i love it. he uses beans and rice, i never heard of crackers used.
you know what. im gonna text him about it! i want chili con carne now!! !

its not very common here tho, so i think the plant, unless "con carne" is added :D of course, i begun assuming that you were all talking about some dish :D

Chilli con carne is not really Peruvian. Then again if the Mexicans try to steal ceviche than the Peruvian can steal chilli con carne. :lol:

I actually prefer Feijoada to chilli con carne, which is Brazilian.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 12:39 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
oh yeah, my dad (peruvian) made a lot of chili con carne when i was little. i gotta push him into inviting me for some, again, i love it. he uses beans and rice, i never heard of crackers used.

its not very common here tho, so i think the plant, unless "con carne" is added :D of course, i begun assuming that you were all talking about some dish :D

Chilli con carne is not really Peruvian. Then again if the Mexicans try to steal ceviche than the Peruvian can steal chilli con carne. :lol:

I actually prefer Feijoada to chilli con carne, which is Brazilian.

i know, i know, but latinamericans are very "paisano" about each others. i think most latinamerican dishes are easily found, from tierra de fuego in southern argentina, and way into the latino parts of usa.

exactly as you say, chili con carne in peru, ceviche in mexico, and chorizos, horchata and empanadas in both :D (which are all spanish (de españa))

(btw, a new word for "spanish" is needed, to describe something "of spain")

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 1:02 pm

I love chili con carne. But I've never heard about putting crackers in it. Is that an American thing?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 2:40 pm

Broken tortilla chips or shells, extra hot sauce, cheese.

I've never been the biggest fan of chili, but I'm starting to accept it.

Just don't accidentally mix a can of meatless chili with a can of baked beans :x I didn't do it, but I ate a bowl of it =/

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:23 pm

I've never heard of putting crackers in chili before. I like to top mine with melted cheddar cheese and some sour cream. I like crackers in soup, however. Sometimes I'll just put a pile of soda crackers in the bowl and pour the soup right over it. :lol: I enjoy the crunchiness in what is mostly a bowl of liquid, it's like when you eat cereal that stays crunchy in milk.

Now, ketchup on macaroni and cheese or Kraft Dinner, I'll never figure out. I tried it once, and was bleah. :eew:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:44 pm

I put crackers in soup, but not usually in chili. I usually put grated white cheese in chili. Yum!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

I never put crackers in chili or soup. I usually don't even eat them as a side to either.
I prefer Italian or French bread with chili or soup. Garlic bread is pretty good with chili. Sometimes dinner rolls instead of the bread.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:51 pm

I only use cheddar cheese. And I only eat my own homemade chili.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

No, I do however like to put corn chips and chesse in my chili.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
1234 wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
you guys (americans) must have a very defined idea of what "chili" is, cus i think of the plant.

:)

Chili (con carne) is a kind of stew, the main ingredients being:(ground) meat, chili peppers, tomatoes and usually kidney beans.
Here's a wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

I usually eat it with rice, never liked it with tortilla chips or crackers.
I do like crackers in soup though, like those saltine type of crackers but without salt (and wholemeal).

I think the American language is just rather lazy, we simply don't include the 'con carne' part when it comes to that chili. There is also green chili, but it doesn't use ground meat usually either shredded pork or chunks and doesen't usually have beans just vegetables and the spicy chili broth.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Feb 2016, 5:47 pm

I occasionally have chili on my hotdogs. I never had crackers with chili.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

aikitsune
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2016, 8:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
No, I do however like to put corn chips and chesse in my chili.

I also do this.

AQ-10: 10
RAADS-R: 190

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:19 pm

I just had chili tonight for supper, and I have heartburn to no end, just like I've been suffering for the last 3 weeks. (Although, since last Sunday it hasn't bothered me as much, as that paedophile of an asswipe that used to live in the den and was heaping all sorts of mental and verbal abuse on me finally moved out.). I've been drinking Sweet Acidophilus milk by the half gallon to settle my gut. Otherwise, I don't use crackers in chili, although, I do eat it over rice from time to time. I do use crackers in soup, especially chicken rice, chicken noodle and chicken corn and beef corn soup, since the crackers do sop up the broth.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 7:40 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Broken tortilla chips or shells, extra hot sauce, cheese.

Would like to amend this by saying that now that I avoid gluten, there will be absolutely no chance of crackers in my chili =)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 7:55 am

...I tend towards cheese and onions , especially at Wendy's .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 12:11 am

...So, yeah. Basically If the crackers are there I'll tend to add them later on.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!