Page 8 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

English and French savant (in French, it means ‘scholar’, but it’s close enough as far as this is concerned), and Esperanto savant’ (apocopic form of savanto, ‘savior’).

Paca nokt’, sankta nokt’.
Tra la land’ vibras kant’.
Ho paŝtistoj, mi diras al vi:
Jen en stalo la beba Mesi’,
Li de l’ mondo Savant’,
Li de l’ mondo Savant’.

(Peaceful night, holy night.
Through the land vibrates a song.
Oh shepherds, I say unto you:
Behold in a stable the baby Messiah,
Him the world’s Savior,
Him the world’s Savior.)

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 5:37 pm

English much (a Germanic word) is unrelated to Spanish mucho (‘much, a lot [of]’), which comes from Latin multus. Portuguese being a more conservative Romance language than Spanish, this Latin etymon is more easily recognizable in the Portuguese cognate muito.

I find it amusing that the chance resemblance between English much and Spanish mucho, together with one of the few innovative traits of Portuguese, the evolution of certain instances of -l- following another consonant into -r-, cause the English expression much obliged to look more Spanish-like than Portuguese-like, despite the existence of muito obrigado in the latter language, while there’s no such expression in Spanish (in addition, Spanish grammar would require it to be muy obligado, rather than *mucho obligado). Portuguese muito obrigado means essentially the same as English much obliged, except that the former (or just obrigado if you don’t want to be so emphatic) is the standard way to thank someone in modern Portuguese, while, of course, in English, it’s much more common to say thank you or thanks.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

Multum obligati sumus tibi ob haec relata!

:D

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 3:09 am

The German word Matsch (mud) is exactly pronounced like the English word much.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm

Spanish ánimo ('spirit, mood') and French animaux ('animals'). Although their phonemes are almost identical, these words don't necessarily sound very alike to a Spanish speaker, because the former is always stressed on the first syllable, as marked by the accent (Á - ni - mo), whereas the syllables of the latter don't vary much in loudness or pitch, unless the word is pronounced in isolation or the last in an utterance, when the last syllable receives a predictable, non-lexical stress (a - ni - MAUX).

Note animo (a - NI - mo, '[I] inspire' or '[I] animate') and animó (a - ni - MÓ, '[he/she/it] inspired' or '[he/she/it] animated') are also Spanish words, distiguished from ánimo only by lexical stress.

However, since French has no lexical stress, any of these three words is likely to sound to a French speaker very similar to animaux. I can't source it, but I've been told a big fight broke out once between French and Spanish supporters at some sports match, because the latter were shouting, "¡Ánimo! ¡Ánimo! ¡Ánimo!" (this noun is often used as an interjection to cheer for someone), and the former thought they were calling them animals.

DeepHour wrote:
Multum obligati sumus tibi ob haec relata!

:D

You're welcome. I'm sorry I have no idea how to reply in Latin :alien:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:12 am

Nightingale121 wrote:

but do the words share an origin or ancestor? :chin:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Nightingale121 wrote:

but do the words share an origin or ancestor? :chin:

I don't know, the meanings are quite different but I am not really into that topic, so it might be and I just cannot see why they could have a shared origin.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 10:19 am

According to the English version of Wiktionary, michel seems to be a German cognate to English much. Unfortunately, I can't find it in the German version.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:27 pm

Esperanto jena ('shown here') and Spanish hiena ('hyaena').

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 11:59 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
According to the English version of Wiktionary, michel seems to be a German cognate to English much. Unfortunately, I can't find it in the German version.

that explains it. was trying to look in that german version (german etymology dictionaries in english? do they exist?)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 12:48 am

English ray, Spanish rey and Portuguese rei (the last two are pronounced essentially the same and mean 'king').

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:14 am

I've recently found this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMKXsCnsZoe[/youtube]

Setting aside the fact that there are plenty of white native Spanish speakers, who have no physiological impediment to uttering those words, it's interesting how they refuse to say negar ('to deny') :)

Considering it has two full vowels (there are no reduced vowels in Spanish), and the stress falls on the last syllable, it doesn't even sound as similar to the N-word as they probably think it does.

PS -- Why do my videos seem broken, too?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:20 am

English never and Spanish nevera ('fridge'). The latter comes from nieve ('snow'), and is a holdover from the time when snow was used to keep food cold. The synonym frigorífico, without this historical association, is also in common use.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 10:26 am

Esperanto vokata ('called') and Spanish bocata (slangish form of bocadillo, 'sandwich').

Quote:
Ni gregon forlasis al la krip' modesta;
Vokataj ni estas al rapidad'.
Ni jubilantaj paŝon rapidigu.

We left the herd towards the humble manger;
Called we are to speed.
Let us exulting hasten our pace.

Translation of:

Quote:
En grege relicto, humiles ad cunas,
Vocati pastores approperant,
Et nos ovanti gradu festinemus.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 3:17 am

Spanish almeja ('clam') and Portuguese almeja ('[he/she/it] yearns'). The latter is a form of the verb almejar ('to yearn'), which comes from alma ('soul'); think "to wish with one's entire soul". Considering Spanish almeja is also used as an uncouth metaphor for the vulva, it's easy to make a crude mnemonic connecting it with great desire.

The Portuguese cognate to Spanish almeja, and, indeed, the Portuguese word for 'clam', is amêijoa. As far as I know, there's no Spanish cognate to the Portuguese verb almejar, but, since both its root and its derivative suffix have Spanish cognates, one can tell its expected form would be almear. The third-person singular present indicative form would then be almea. Nothing to do with Mark Rosenfelder's Almea, though.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

English: lied
German: lied (song)

English: lead
German: lied
(pronounced the same)

English: mask
Swedish: mask (worm, and mask)

Swedish: syra (acid)