Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AspersFriend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

I'm a t a complete loss what to do. I've thought my friend has Aspergers for years.

We've been friends for ten years. She occasionally makes other friends but runs them off with her uniqueness.
I've allways understood she processes differently and felt she was worth the aggravation. However, I've had my limit now too.

She is exhausting. Everything is an argument because she doesn't understand or she frustrated because other do not understand her.
I have had 4 heart surgeries in the last five years. I have to keep my stress low so I made it so our visits are short. But she always demands more, more time, more arguments, etc.

She does make eye contact.
She's been divorced four times.
She is unable to watch most TV and movies because she does not want her emotions manipulated
Strangers find her strange and callous
Those who have known her find her an odd duck and very difficult, most avoid her.
She is SUPER INTENSE about everything.
She overwhelms very easily
She has extremely rigid schedules
Her home must have everything i place (according to her, to the point if something is missing someone must have broke in a stole it)
She hate parties
She is INTENSE to the point of exhausting me.
Fascination with words.
No one in her family wants to be around her (she thinks they must jealous)
She had a huge bumper sticker made for her car that says "Tailgaters are Stupid and Dangerous"
She is convinced a woman who stayed with her stole a worthless piece of plastic and a camera cord (because she cannot find them)
She has a horrible time learning anything new (my husband refused to help her install a computer because she is so aggravating)
Having to update from one computerto another was a HUGE problem and had her disabled for days.
She throws temper tantrums and whines when things are not the way she wants them
She worries about the future to the point of debilitation (has to go to bed)

Do any of these things sound like Aspergers?

Any help appreciated

Pandanus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2015, 3:34 pm

Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet,

Yes, a lot of that does sound like Asperger's. I would broach the subject with her. Although it's scary to understand that your differences are caused by ASD, it does help you make progress in the future.

All the best

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 3:49 pm

I generally avoid giving diagnostic opinions online, because A) I'm not a licensed psychologist and B) a one-sided, cherry picked description can't really give an accurate picture of a three-dimensional personality.

That said, it does sound as though you may be onto something. God only knows whether she would be receptive to the idea and be interested enough to learn more about it, or upset and angry because she thinks you're calling her mentally ill.

In either case, you must realize there is no cure nor medication for autism, so it's not likely to change anything one way or another, except to make her more aware of her behaviors and why she has them. It will do virtually nothing to make them go away.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

AspersFriend wrote:
Does My Friend Have Aspergers?
We can't possibly know for certain. Only appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professionals can make an official diagnosis of an ASD. Online tests can not provide an objective ASD diagnosis, either.

Talk to your friend. Just be prepared for your friend to take offense.

Good luck.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 3:12 pm

Quote:
She does make eye contact.

Is this a typo?

Quote:
She had a huge bumper sticker made for her car that says "Tailgaters are Stupid and Dangerous"

I don't see how this is AS related.

Quote:
Do any of these things sound like Aspergers?

Hard to say, some of it sounded like paranoia. She could have a personality disorder but I am not a trained professional.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:02 pm

Most of the things you listed seem like difficult person, but not autism-specific.
I don't see much core traits of autism in the list.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Most of the things you listed seem like difficult person, but not autism-specific. I don't see much core traits of autism in the list.
It seems that autism has become the latest "demon-of-blame" for anti-social behavior.

Shouting? Must be autism.
Hitting? Must be autism.
Silent treatment? Must be autism.
Weird hobby? Must be autism.
Lack of fashion sense? Must be autism.

Watches foreign films? Picky about diet? Drives erratically? Goes barefoot in the yard? Likes cats, hates dogs? Admires a dead musician? Afraid of sudden noises? Hates being photographed? Hates professional sports? Loves astronomy? Plays video games? Vegetarian? Wears sandals in the rain? Has an account on a social website? Walks alone? Possesses a library card? No driver's license?

Gotta be autism, right?

:roll: Yeah ... Right ... And I'm the Mahatma, Gandhi.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 11:35 am

AspersFriend wrote:

She is SUPER INTENSE about everything.
Might be, depends why

She overwhelms very easily
Could be sensory sensitivities which Autistics are prone to.

She has extremely rigid schedules
Core trait of Autism and OCD (one could have both)

Her home must have everything i place
Pretty much describing the same trait as above

She hate parties
Could be just introversion or sensory sensitivities mentioned earlier or a result of numerous failures at social situation.
Depends on why. If it is from not knowing social skills that is a core trait.

She is INTENSE to the point of exhausting me.
Autistics often come off this way do to lack of social skills. Others do for other non autistic reasons

Fascination with words.
Could be an Autistic "special interest"

She has a horrible time learning anything new (my husband refused to help her install a computer because she is so aggravating)
Having to update from one computerto another was a HUGE problem and had her disabled for days.
She throws temper tantrums and whines when things are not the way she wants them
Resistance/poor adjustment to change is often associated with Executive Functioning difficulties common in Autism and OCD

She worries about the future to the point of debilitation (has to go to bed)
Anxiety and rumination are often co-morbid with Autism. But there are many reasons people do it.

The idea is not to find out if she is autistic per se but why she is having difficulties. A person must be ready to face their issues otherwise outside intervention is useless and often counter productive. It is very hard to tell from the outside if a person is ready

Diagnostic criteria for Autistic Spectrum disorders

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:19 pm

Honestly, that sounds more like a personality disorder. The obsessing about a seemingly irrelevant thing being stolen seems like paranoia.

I'd say autism is more a disconnect and a need for routine and finding safety in the familiarity of that routine, whereas a personality disorder is more controlling and intense with emotional mood swings.
Have you read anything about personality disorders? I found that helpful in dealing with a family memeber of mine.

Well done for being a good friend btw and sticking by her when other's haven't. I drove a friend away last year with my mood swings, but I'm on medication now. (Not an autism related thing) But, yes you do need to step back at times and look after your own emotional stability otherwise you will get drained.