Page 2 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 8:30 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Quote:
but in Europe a lot more women don't bother.

I wish... then I'd have not got so badly bullied for not wearing one! It's stupid though because I am and always have been an aa cup (like in other words non-existant). I CANNOT STAND bras. they are so uncomfortable and itchy and that little metal bit at the back cuts into me like a knife even though it is not too tight...

I wonder if that's recent.. I remember a camp counselor from Germany commenting that it just wasn't as big a deal there, especially for smaller-chested women.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 12:24 pm

I think it is a more recent thing... I know a lady from Poland who says it is quite odd to not wear a bra... That's just one lady from one country though!

Mariah918
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2009, 4:52 am

I didn't like bras at first either. I think if you just start wearing bras a lot and get into it you will get used to it therefore you become more comfortable.

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Oct 2009, 7:00 pm

Like most clothing items, bras present me with a mixture of love and hate about it's properties. Binding- hate after very long at all, can't take it at all some days, Yet- binding can provide some killer cleavage that doesn't happen on it's own after 4 pregnancies and nurslings, two in tandem with the "girls" growing up to a 36 G from a 36C. Back in those days I was like a springing fountain! Had to have a night nursing bra on too b/c something had to hold the multiple nursing pads in place!Sometimes I like the looks of that only serious binding can bring! I really needed my functional nursing bras, loved the nursing tanks though my boobs were too big for it to look "pretty" my boobs have more pushed inappropriate most times, bursting out of whatever. But now I've lost lots of weight and very avg to small in size. I can use plain old hanes her way cotton bras for everyday but often I don't wear one. I have, through the years sometimes enjoyed a camisole with cups in it, some light support, but really no binding but still uncomfortable after a long day.
For me any garment is unbearable after a number of hours. Even an oversized white undershirt feels "heavy" after a number of hours. I really kind of like naked, but then that feels sore after a time, like I am falling out and need a compression or support garment! So yeah, as a daily, 16 hours per day ritual, I hate bras! Couldn't bear to wear one of any kind for more than a few hours unless it is a very special day lined up I don't need to wear anything more than about 3 or 4 hours before changing. I must say, I think bras can be pretty, sexy and fully functional when I feel like I need/ want the support. I think if more expensive garments properly fitted are purchased, comfort in the short term wear can be gained. I just don't see how anything can feel good after having it on all day under clothes. I even get hives if something is too tight and scratchy for too long.
Yep, it's a love/ hate thing.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2009, 12:47 pm

Unfortunately my 32DD boobs require a bra most of the time. I'm not really a fan of bras but I do need to wear one, unless I want to draw serious attention to myself. When I get home from work the first thing I do is take off my work clothes and change into something comfy...which means no bra...the fiance doesn't seem to mind and if company comes over I just put on a hoodie or sweatshirt.

I usually feel the need to wear a bra in public, but when I'm home I usually don't wear one. I'm way more comfortable without one. But since I spend the better part of the day in a bra it's very important that it fits properly (this makes a huge difference). If my bra isn't fitting right the straps dig into my shoulders, or my nipples will fall out of the cups, or the wire will poke me...if it fits right I sort of forget it's there, until I get home and take it off...

As for going to the gym...a supportive sports bra is a must. In order to be functional it needs to be really tight and squish them....which is really not a great feeling, but it's better then them bouncing all over the place...that actually hurts...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 4:44 pm

Maggiedoll - where did you make your avatar?

Meow333
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2009, 9:34 pm

I hate bras with a passion and am lucky to not be big chested to have to wear one. They feel like they are stangling me and i breathe easier without one. I never wear one.

saywhatyamean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2009, 10:17 pm

Bustenhalter huh............. a halter is something you put on a horses head to control it. You use it along with a lead rope to tie them up with. Reminds me alot of the notion behind bras.

My views on bra's.............Oh don't get me started, you don't have the time to read my objections to them, but I don't believe I have a choice not to wear one.

Cowbird

27 Oct 2009, 7:14 pm

Absquatulate wrote:
So, am I the only girl in the world who absolutely positively cannot tolerate a bra? I tried wearing them in my early teens but it was like I don't know.. I suppose it felt the way it would feel to have several layers of duck tape around ones chest.

So I don't wear them. I don't believe that I've ever heard of another woman in her 20's that wont wear a bra. I don't have any problems, I don't *think* anyone notices because I have quite small breasts. But I could be wrong. Maybe people do. Regardless I don't care because wearing a bra is downright painful for me.

It's not painful for me, but I hate the wretched things and avoid them as much as possible.

Solei
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2009, 3:29 pm

For me, it depends on the bra. When it comes to the typical bras with underwires and hardly any support, I avoid them like the plague. It's not like people are going to be seeing me in them, so why shouldn't I go for comfort?

I go for the sports bras myself. The only one I wear is one that is completely cloth except for the hooks on the straps and have tons of support. Unfortunately, I know that I need to go shopping for another one too; this one is getting holes in it, and eventually, those will grow too big. Too bad it's almost impossible to find a good bra. I don't even remember where I got mine. :(

Cowbird

30 Oct 2009, 2:15 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I think it is a more recent thing...

The brassiere was invented in the 1920s, by a man, which I can easily believe. Before that women wore corsets that supported both the bust and the spine, WITHOUT cutting through your trapezoid muscles and collarbones.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

30 Oct 2009, 3:23 pm

Cowbird wrote:
Jellybean wrote:
I think it is a more recent thing...

The brassiere was invented in the 1920s, by a man, which I can easily believe. Before that women wore corsets that supported both the bust and the spine, WITHOUT cutting through your trapezoid muscles and collarbones.

But instead contorted organs and constricted breath intake, resulting in problems in digestion and respiration.

potty245
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2009, 7:02 pm

i like wearing bras but dont like when some make me itchy or if the straps keep coming down it really irritates me

22 Nov 2009, 7:09 pm

I have to wear them or else my boobs get stretched out. They are big enough they need support. There are women out there who don't have to wear them because their boobs are so small or they hardly have any.

Sometimes they itch and some dig into my skin. I use toilet paper and put it between my skin and the bra when that happens.
I also hate bra shopping. I can't always find my bra size. So I wear them until they are torn.

eeyore710
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2009, 12:22 pm

Absolutely cannot stand bras....or panties for that matter. Will wear them to work, or out in public if I'm doing something that doesn't allow me to wear a baggy sweatshirt:) Often it bothers me so much that I will put on my bra to go shopping or something, and by the time I'm done with my errands I jump in the car and have to remove the bra before I can even start the car. With me, it's not a problem with the fit...I got fitted and still felt like it was squeezing me. Same thing with the panties...the elastic on panties drives me nuts! If I could get away with wearing loose cotton pants and big cotton t shirts or sweatshirts with nothing else on all the time, I would! Unfortunately the business world requires things like suits and undergarments and heels:P

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2009, 10:32 am

I live in the Netherlands and I honestly do not know ANYONE who does not wear a bra. And if you see someone who doesn't, people are bound to notice and think something of it. Unless their breasts are quite small, of course. I don't know what "Europe" in a previous post is referring to, as I wouldn't know what it'd be like in different countries, but in the Netherlands you're pretty much ought to wear a bra...

(Funny by the way, how Americans keep referring to "Europe" in that way. In Europe, this! In Europe, that! You can't really say that, cultures are VERY different from each other. What is normal in the Netherlands might be abnormal in Spain, and then I haven't started about the Easter European countries yet...)

I'm happy bra's exist. I have a B, so yeah nothing huge, but a bra does prevent my breasts from hoppin' along as I'm walking down some stairs... I had to wear them, I hated it at first though. But I started developing at 11 and was done around 13, so I guess I just used to tolerate them and later on, got used to them. On the upside, they do make your chest look better. Good for me, and a joy to watch on others... :roll: