Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 6:59 am

Like Women's Day, New Idea, Cosmopolitan and mags like that.

I only read them when I am waiting in a doctor's surgery, or in a hairdressers or a checkout line and I am really bored.

I usually read magazines like Animavericks (because I like anime).

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2010, 7:29 am

Nope.. Can't stand the things..

I have to be really bored to look at them and when I do I usually only do the crosswords or read the dear blah letters than run along the lines of "Dear blah, my husband ran off with my cat, do you think we have a future?" :lol:

I prefer a magazine that actually offers something worth reading about like science, technology or hobbies.

I'm always amazed when I see other women engrossed in this tripe.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 9:26 am

Nope.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 10:20 am

Sometimes, to pretend normal and know their problems.
When I was teen, I read magazines like Bravo (this one, maybe you don't know) to know teens and feel like normal. I would say like Luna Lovegood: I like to read teen magazines, it's like having friends.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 10:24 am

I find them interesting in the same way that I find the Voynich manuscript interesting.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 10:26 am

I used to but I don't anymore.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2010, 10:27 am

I don't understand them. So boring.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2010, 10:42 am

Nooo. I just don't understand them... Decorating? Why would I conform to someone else's idea of "good" decorating. Makeup? All the suggested products are way too expensive for any one with sense to go out and buy. Sex? They ALWAYS suggest things men don't really like in bed. Love? Cheap advice that can be figured out with common sense.

They breed the idea that a woman should degrade herself by asking for gifts and chocolate because they get "emotional" and its really no wonder men look down on us so much...

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

Elementary_Physics wrote:
Nooo. I just don't understand them... Decorating? Why would I conform to someone else's idea of "good" decorating. Makeup? All the suggested products are way too expensive for any one with sense to go out and buy. Sex? They ALWAYS suggest things men don't really like in bed. Love? Cheap advice that can be figured out with common sense.

They breed the idea that a woman should degrade herself by asking for gifts and chocolate because they get "emotional" and its really no wonder men look down on us so much...

I'll take chocolate, though. :lol:

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2010, 10:51 am

Athenacapella wrote:
Elementary_Physics wrote:

I'll take chocolate, though. :lol:

So do I, but I also have money and can buy it myself.
The closest thing I ever got to "getting chocolates" was when my boyfriend gave me a tube of LiverWurst, which, on second thought, isn't even that close to chocolate.

I mean the whole using-our-emotions-to-get-what-we-want idea just makes women look needy and gives the sexist guy behind me in my Contemporary Lit class more to talk about...

Ragnia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2010, 11:32 am

No I never read women's magazines.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm

Not really. I read feminist magazines, especially b***h, but that is not the glossy women's magazines. I tried to read those, I really did, but I realized it was mostly marketing, without any real content. The closest I come is Ms., but that again, is a feminist magazine when it gets down to it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 12:15 am

God no.

Use to and it just made me feel like crap all the time. >_<

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 4:16 am

I used to read Girlfriend (and Dolly sometimes) when I was a teenager, and it actually had a few useful things (like the careers section and the article written by a girl with AS)
but most of it was of no interest to me.

I brought this up, because I saw a documentary advertised about what women will do to be considered "beautiful"

Like take slimming pills right after their baby is born so they can lose the "baby weight" as fast as celebrities are advertised to do.
or even not eat enough during pregnancy. really I mean WTF! that is not only harmful to the woman but to the baby as well.
There are those websites that promote being extremely thin as the figure to have (I am talking skeletal)
It even mentioned that women in some countries are given the idea that fair skin is beautiful so they use skin whitening products.

bloody sad.

It is clear that womens mags make money off of making women feel bad about themselves.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2010, 4:52 am

Nope. Wired, Good, and Utne are more my speed.

INTJ.

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2010, 5:39 am

No I did read my sister one ocassionally when I was a teenager, but I never liked the amount of a) advertising(like every second page, I once went through a magazine and counted how many adverts were in the maazine(only one page adverts) Second I am not interested in the however many pages that are full of pictures of people posing in some clothes, as I am not interested in that . The things I liked at one particularly, that it had printed a script of Domian, which is a call in show in public tv and radio at 1 to 2 o clock in the morning, where people normally have a lot of problems.