Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Nikola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2010, 5:44 pm

hi my name is Nikola and I have a diognosis that has changed from SPD/ Aspergers to classic autism to autism/aspergers by different professionals.

My partener has Aspergers and Hyper activity on the way to being diognosed with ADD. He is more effected and has careers because he don't concentrate on activities. Altho i have more classic autism problems such as sensory issues.

We are pregnant!

Some of my family members on my dads side of the family show autistic tendancies (not as much as me) and My partener sister shows autistic tendencies strongly too!.

I looked up research into genetics and one artical i read said autistic people don't get married or breed so genetics are uncertain? Im sorry but I know women with aspergers who have children! those children are too young tell if they are ok or not. Whats the likely hood of me having autistic child??

csimon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2010, 6:04 pm

Genetically your chances are 50/50 that you will pass along a gene imbalance if you have one.
My wife and I have each have an imblance but in separate genes. My son inherited both.
The amazing thing is that even if your child does inherit a specific imbalance, the severity of his issues could be anywhere from un-noticable to severe. I can only recommend that you embrace your child fully as we have ours.

Last edited by csimon on 23 Jan 2010, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2010, 6:08 pm

csimon wrote:
Genetically your chances are 50/50 that you will pass along a gene imbalance if you have one.
My wife and I have each have an imblance but in separate genes. My son inherited both.

Is your son struggle more then? like effected worse? hows it effect him?

csimon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2010, 6:33 pm

He has been affected in many ways since birth. Autistically, he began verbal regression at the age of 17 months which is about the same time he began to walk late (a seperate issue). The only other indication that he displayed to the neurologist at that time was his unusual friendliness. When NT children at that age will cling to their mother around strangers, Christopher would always approach them and explore curiously. At that point it was also noticable to us that he was highly stimulated visually and was attracted to such things as phone books, logos, street signs, geometric shapes ...etc. It was especially scarey the first time he disappeared from sight at our new house and we found him across the street checking out a reflective marker near the neighbors driveway. It was something he had seen when we drove up and he just couldn't let it go. We didn't even notice he had wondered off, he just went for it.
That was 5 years ago and today he is still making everyone take notice of his charm. He has no boundaries when it comes to showing his affection to people, and it is interesting to see peoples reaction.

Personally I think his struggle is more physical than mental. He inherited CMT from me so he has difficulty with this such as holding a pencil or fork properly, and going to the restroom on his own. Things like that.

Is there anything more specific you want to know?

Nikola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2010, 1:48 pm

I was just worried because There are also twins in me family and as much as I love babies and children and I love working with autistic children and am autistic myself I would find it really difficult to handle two autistic kids and my partner who aspergers and attention deficit disorder effects him quite badly. I just need to prepare mentally the posstibility of both happening. Im a worrier and if someone tells me there is a possibility of my baby or babies being disabled it scares me. My autism isn't that bad really. I stim and flap and sway and find group situations hard but im effectionate and loving and do my best to love people. I find giving my attention to people for long periouds of time which really works with my partner cos i feel our home is a autism friendly place and a lot of my autistic friends come here. but autism is a spectrum and some of the children i work with are at the more difficult end of the spectrum and that is scary. I suppose it would be another set of challenges if my child was N/T because I would have to make allowences for there N/T ness and make sure they are socially stimulated in a mainstream enviroment and I don't embarrass them. Already I am looking at social groups for babies and toddlers for my baby so it has as much social stimulation and dosn't pick up autistic tendencies from me and my partner too much! That would be another worry that they ain't autistic but act it cos they see me being like i am raaaaa NEW MUM syndrome lol