Page 4 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 3:06 am

Verdandi wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
I find bras aesthetically pleasing, but very uncomfortable. They're okay for an hour or two, but beyond that, they become a huge sensory issue and I start to find them maddening. A full day of wearing one ends up feeling somewhat painful (even if they fit properly).

That said, I wear them every time I go out because, even for the not-so-endowed such as myself, unless you're wearing multiple layers, it's noticeable when you're bra-less, and this is not socially acceptable. I only started wearing them a few years ago, though--I thought they were stupid and pointless when I was younger and didn't see what the fuss was all about. Of course, I've since learned that they are stupid and pointless (for those of us who aren't hugely-endowed or saggy), but it is an arbitrary social convention which must be obeyed (in the workplace, at least).

I post this only because, right now, I'm going crazy. >_<;; And am stuck in this state for many hours yet.

I wanted to write a very similar post.

I tried a sports bra but it actually gave me a rash. The material and my skin do not get along.

Rather than painful, bras cause me to itch a lot, so I take them off as soon as I get home, or as soon as I'm anywhere it doesn't matter that I am not wearing one.

I wear am a bit well-endowed, and bras are more comfortable than not, at least kinesthetically. It's just that the material never gets along with my skin.

Ooh, yes. I also find them itchy and take them off as soon as I get the chance. On the plus side, that just-took-off-your-bra-after-wearing-it-all-day feeling is really quite nice.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Feb 2011, 3:31 pm

Kaybee wrote:
Ooh, yes. I also find them itchy and take them off as soon as I get the chance. On the plus side, that just-took-off-your-bra-after-wearing-it-all-day feeling is really quite nice.

It is. I would go so far as to describe it as somewhat cathartic.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2011, 6:12 pm

I don't wear bras, I uh, don't have much that needs supporting in that regard to a point where I have gotten mistaken for a teenage boy. Living in a place where it generally doesn't get very warm helps, you can't see nipples very well through the hoodies I usually wear. The attitude towards bras is pretty relaxed where I live, so that helps. If I were going to a place where the social norm was bras and I knew I couldn't wear my usual hoodies due to weather I'd wear a bra to fit in better but that unfomfortable sucker would be off the moment I was out of public. I also sometimes think I must be really weird, I feel no attachment to my breasts. I'd almost rather go breastless than put up with bras on a daily basis, and I feel the same way on very hot days when all breasts seem to do is channel sweat underneath them.

MelyssaK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2011, 12:15 am

Well, I can't go around without a bra. I am a thin woman, but my chest is large for my figure. I difinitely need the support and would feel extremely uncomfortable flapping and bouncing around in public. Also, I am rather short, so my chest would look rather saggy with it's size along with my short torso. Simply due to my proportions, I really do need to wear a bra.

Dione
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2011, 1:03 pm

I really think it depends on the woman. If a woman cannot hold a pencil under her breasts, then it doesn't look bad to go braless. If she can, then you have to factor a few things in.
Personally, I am a 32 DDD, so I would have to wear really baggy shirts if I wanted to go braless. While between my bra size and my allergy to polyester makes it really difficult to find a bra that fits me, it is kind of a blessing, since polyester doesn't breathe, but the options I can wear, nylon and cotton, do.
As for going braless being healthier for you, that's been debunked. It was thought that wearing a bra causes breast cancer. While it is true that women who wear bras tend to have firmer, denser breast tissue than women who don't, that's more due to the fact that bras fight gravity and help prevent sagging.

MelyssaK

11 Feb 2011, 11:31 pm

The funny thing is, society and men, in general, love large, perky breasts. But what the breasts look like with a bra on are pretty different than what they look like without it. So anyone expecting very large breats to retain their shape perfectly when naked is sorely mistaken and I laugh at them. And women who get ridiculously huge breast implants just because they want attention from the guys (or ladies if they are lesbian) deserve the back problems they get later in life.

Dione
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2011, 12:28 pm

MelyssaK wrote:
The funny thing is, society and men, in general, love large, perky breasts. But what the breasts look like with a bra on are pretty different than what they look like without it. So anyone expecting very large breats to retain their shape perfectly when naked is sorely mistaken and I laugh at them. And women who get ridiculously huge breast implants just because they want attention from the guys (or ladies if they are lesbian) deserve the back problems they get later in life.

Yeah, breast expectations are pretty ridiculous. The idea of large breasts with a little waist that seems to be popular these days is virtually unattainable, not to mention, with the hip size being small like the waist is expected to be, actually is a sign of infertility.
Anyone who expects large breasts to retain the shape they are in a bra have never actually seen a pair of naked breasts in comparison to inside a bra.
Implants are just plain scary. It really bothers me that we have reared a generation of girls who think they need to look like Pamela Anderson to be attractive. They have no idea the bane of a large chest. Back problems, finding shirts that fit both waist and bust, finding a bra that fits. I'm in my twenties, have never had implants, but have considered reduction because of all the trouble. I would love to be able to go into a store to find a bra that fits right than have to order it online, with the right material, and hope to God that it doesn't run too big or too small.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 5:15 am

I need to wear a bra since otherwise I can feel everything too much. A bra keeps everything contained and it does not feel all loose and itchyand stuff. Same reason i like long socks and tighter clothes... it feels better to keep things contained and not flapping about, which is very uncomfortable to me.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 1:36 pm

Agree about getting stupidly huge implants. I want to smack girls who complain about having small breasts. I have frequent pain in my back muscles from holding up the damn things and it sucks.

Beabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2011, 3:40 pm

I feel weird w/o a bra on

MelyssaK

13 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

Dione wrote:
MelyssaK wrote:

Yeah, breast expectations are pretty ridiculous. The idea of large breasts with a little waist that seems to be popular these days is virtually unattainable, not to mention, with the hip size being small like the waist is expected to be, actually is a sign of infertility.
Anyone who expects large breasts to retain the shape they are in a bra have never actually seen a pair of naked breasts in comparison to inside a bra.
Implants are just plain scary. It really bothers me that we have reared a generation of girls who think they need to look like Pamela Anderson to be attractive. They have no idea the bane of a large chest. Back problems, finding shirts that fit both waist and bust, finding a bra that fits. I'm in my twenties, have never had implants, but have considered reduction because of all the trouble. I would love to be able to go into a store to find a bra that fits right than have to order it online, with the right material, and hope to God that it doesn't run too big or too small.

Me, too. I am thin, but have fairly large breasts. I have an extremely difficult time finding a bra that fits my back without me popping out the top of it. That goes for shirts, too. If it fits my chest, it's too big in the waist; if it fits around my waist, one turn and I will split the chest.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:15 am

It's uncomfortable for me to go without a bra (except when sleeping), and I look weird without one because my breasts aren't large.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:09 am

I'm bra-free at home, and wear bras when going out, or they can look poky even through thick sweaters. I've been properly fitted and my size is very easy to find everywhere. I'm grateful for both the fact that my size is common and that they're small enough to not need bra at home. :)

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:38 am

I dislike going braless. I even sleep in a bra. I don't really have that large breasts, but I'm short, slim, with tiny ribcage, and they're too big for my figure.

Deber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2011, 11:51 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I personaly cannot wear a bra. Too painful and not worth it. If pervy men want to stare that is their problem. I remember wishing I would develop breast cancer as soon as my parents started insisting I wear a bra so I could have a masectomy and have no need for a bra but after I realised there was no stupid law stating women had to wear a bra in public, I simply stoped wearing one and my parents gave up trying to force me to wear one. I don't wear skimpy clothes and my Gir T shirts are always too sizes big because if something is too tight I feel as if I am being suffocated and panic.

I hate bras and went without (a bra) because of sensory issues. Refused to wear one until I absolutely had to - age 17. I didn't realize that I looked poorly without a bra until someone took a picture of me and gave me a lecture while waving the picture in my face. Lifelong problem of being unable to see myself as others do. After that lecture I tried to wear a bra but it was hard because of sensory issues. My mother forced me to have a bra fitting and the lady put me in a bra that was so tight that I couldn't breathe. It was the correct size but I couldn't stand it. I often wore large and loose clothing and put a bandaid or tape over my nipples. I thought that if my nipples didn't show that no one would figure out that I wasn't wearing a bra but I got called into the office at my first job and told that I needed to start wearing a bra. I went back to a professional fitter and spent an hour trying on bras. Found a better fitting bra but never perfect. Then yoga, exercise and front closure bras became available. They are so much more comfortable. It is hard for me to tolerate going to a clothing store. Spent a lot of money buying bras out of catalogs and learned that I absolutely needed to try it on before I bought. Problem I found was that styles change and after spending a lot of time finding a bra that I liked, it would be gone in a few months. Learned to buy 5 - 7 bras at the same time. Went braless after work hours which caused the wrong sort of attention.
PunkyKat, you said that you wished you would get breast cancer so that you would have a mastectomy and not have to wear a bra. That happened to me. After 5 surgeries I no longer have breasts and never again have to wear a bra. Now people stare at me when I wear something that is even slightly form fitting because I have zero breasts. In fact, one side of my chest is concave because they had to take so much tissue out. Yes, I was offered implants at the time of surgery but declined. A couple of my friends got implants and they leaked after a few years and caused horrible problems. They have to be replaced every few years and it is very difficult to see around the implants with a mammogram. I have friends who had breast reconstruction from other tissue in their body and the results were not good, very mishappen. I have a couple of mastectomy bras and a set of prosthetic boobs but I haven't used them for years. Funny thing is that as much complaining as I did about having to wear a bra, I miss having breasts.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 2:41 pm

I love not wearing a bra when I'm relaxing around the house but outside, I haven't gone braless since I was 15 or so. I'd just feel too weird and insecure.