Do women ''have to'' pluck their eyebrows?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 3:37 am

How uni is a unibrow? I think that I may have one of these, but it has never seemed very obvious to me. There are hairs bridging the eyebrow gap, but they are not as thick as the eyebrows. I wonder if I should pluck them. I enjoy plucking hairs, but I dont really want to pluck my unibrow.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 8:05 pm

I had white blonde hair and a black uni-brow until I was in 4th grade. Some older girls started calling me Bushy Eyebrows and were brutally unkind about it. I went home and shaved them off. I kept my bangs too long until they grew back and then my older sister showed me how to pluck them. I over-plucked them for a long time in fear of being ridiculed. I had no idea what I was doing.

When my daughter started wanting to pluck hers, I took her to a professional and we both got ours properly shaped.

I hate my eyebrows. I hate plucking them but if I don't I look like a hairy beast.

WORSE! When you get older (past 45-50) they start growing really long - like an inch or so... Not only do I have to pluck but I have to trim them, too. I comb them out with a clean mascara brush and clip them with tiny scissors. Keep an eye on your nose hairs, too.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 4:38 am

I had huge, manly eyebrows as a kid. After someone asked me "Are you a boy or a girl?" I developed sort of an issue with them and plucked the hell out of them. I now wish that I hadn't cuz parts of them won't grow back :( I wish I had my bigger eyebrows still.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

Kiseki wrote:
I had huge, manly eyebrows as a kid. After someone asked me "Are you a boy or a girl?" I developed sort of an issue with them and plucked the hell out of them. I now wish that I hadn't cuz parts of them won't grow back :( I wish I had my bigger eyebrows still.

I did the same kind of thing plus my right eyebrow is pulling towards my ear because my Spock muscle is stronger on that side. I got something called Billion Dollar Brows online that actually grows hair where it hasn't grown in years and am slowly relocating my eyebrow - making them a little thicker, too. I don't like how they got so thin.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

I've plucked them a little bit, and when I've had them waxed, they were just removing stray hairs, including ones that were starting to become a unibrow. Now, my hairstylist does sugaring which is an old technique for hair removal, and it doesn't hurt as much as waxing does.

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

I mostly just tweeze the stray hairs underneath my eyebrows. Most of my family has absurdly narrow eyebrows so I'm being careful to make sure my eyebrows don't end up like that.

I don't think anyone should feel like they have to tweeze their eyebrows, though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

I don't bother with it, my sister waxed them before though......cause she works at a place they do hair and I guess that is one of the things they also do. I think its really up to the individual.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 6:13 pm

I'm not that bothered and haven't plucked or shaped my eyebrows before, they are a little long but only very fine so they aren't too much of a problem.
Have you ever noticed then when you focus on your eyebrows in the mirror they seem to become obvious and the only thing that you can notice?

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

I pluck a couple strays once in a while but that's it if anyone cares to know that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:53 pm

I've never plucked my eyebrows. I like thick, masculine eyebrows on me. They enhance my personality.

Alohilani
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2012, 12:35 am

mine are really big and fat and black which looks awful on my pale skin so I pluck them all the time. They naturally grow in a really weird shape, like a triangle. It just looks terrible.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 5:11 am

I seriously doubt that if you fit in depends on the shape of your eyebrows. I didn't start plucking mine until I was 35. Didn't notice any increased popularity after that. :) My mom is 67 and has thick eyebrows, and has never plucked them. She's a social butterfly and has many friends and activities. Oh and she doesn't shave either, and guys in swimming pools seem to chat with her quite often. Sexiness is mostly about confidence and attitude. (I suppose other women don't like you being sexy or have confidence. That might be why I don't have many women friends.)

AJ22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2012, 4:12 pm

I just pluck a bit of stray hair and add a tiny bit of shape.. Nothing more.. it hurts to much!

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 7:26 pm

As far as I understand it's only a social requirement to pluck / wax eyebrows if you are in a highly professional position where you can't get away looking too sloppy (e.g. lawyer). Otherwise I don't think it matter that much.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

In all honesty it depends what your eyebrows look like. I have really hairy, big eyebrows if I don't get them waxed. I get them waxed every two weeks. I also get my upper lip waxed. It probably depends where you live, what you do for a living and what your age group is when it comes to what society thinks. Although I say, do what makes you feel comfortable. You don't have to do anything to your body if you don't want to. Who cares what other people think, right?

Neoninja
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2012, 1:21 am

Hi! I'm a man! Just incase male opinion's matter in this part of the forums. Plucking a unibrow (you called it a "mono" never heard that before...) is a general rule of thumb to look presentable to men and women. But if your brow is thick it dosen't matter, it mostly depends on the guy (or girl) you are trying to attract. Most guys won't care about the fuzzies if you have a facial feature that is beautiful such as eyes (even as an aspie, the first thing I notice is a girl's eyes. If a girl's eyes make me nervious it's because they are so beautiful I begin to feel something along the lines of "I don't deserve to look into such a beautiful soul. Corny as that sounds.) Or even a smile is enough to melt a nice guys heart! The important thing is "Are you happy with the way you look?" Does it please YOU? When you can say yes without a doubt you'll be happy in life. Trust me on that!