Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 10:28 am

I just came back from my first appointment with the new therapist and I am impressed. She saw in me what I needed someone to see. She didn't respond to the surface of what I was saying, she address all the turmoil and anxiety behind what I said. She did make me talk about Manny Misdiagnosis, which I did not want to do, so I just said, "I don't want to say anything negative about him because that would be unfair, he didn't really do anything wrong. It just wasn't a good match. The compatibility wasn't there and I didn't have the trust and comfort I need to have." She was impressed enough by that to move on... and, in fact, even used my need for a comfort zone to draw patterns in different areas, which reveals my need for routine, schedules, and having a controlled environment. I might just have a therapist who understands that my diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome means I have Asperger's Syndrome. Somebody pinch me!

She complimented me on being very organized in thought. She saw that my mind wanders but when she gave an indication, such as a sigh or shift in body language, I came back on topic to answer her question. I mean, this didn't just happen. She noted that it happened and acknowledged that I have a "self-voice" (I refer to it as an internal monologue) that is keeping track of cues and forcing me to respond to them. It's like she went to school for this or something. Then she complimented me on being an informed and advocating mother for my aspie son, which I always appreciate. Then she complimented me on being articulate, which I have no idea what to do with. I never have. I always want to ask, "What do you expect me to sound like?" But I think she was commenting (probably more reflecting upon rather than seeking to flatter me) on my communication skills. She says she sees how I can walk into an interview and walk out with a job (which had been normal for me for YEARS) and that she believes the economy is the only thing keeping that from happening now. Very nice thing to say and, regardless of whether or not she meant it, saying that put a feather in my confidence cap so I appreciate it.

She gave me validation for what I go through with my ex-husband. She understands my reactions. She provided me with a solution that works to resolve a problem that's going on this week with him. Just like that. She had the solution and it was relevant and it works and it makes me feel better before we even execute it because I'm so pleased that the solution exists.

She gave me homework and I love when therapists give you homework. So I get to work on that until the next session. This is good. I'm very pleased with my new therapist. I'm so happy that I didn't just let all treatment go and decided to call them back to request a switch. I'm so happy that they took me serious and gave me someone good.

It's nice to post something cool for once. :)

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2011, 10:50 am

congratulations! i also finally found a great therapist late last year who understands my Asperger's and doesn't treat me like i'm defective, but rather concentrates on helping me learn coping skills. it's good to be able to talk to someone like her!

mv
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 12:31 pm

wefunction, this is fantastic news. Congratulations! I had been on the therapy hamster-wheel for years; I'm encouraged that there are actually knowledgeable ones out there!

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 3:06 pm

I'm happy for you wefunction.