37-40 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
40 + 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Never married/ NT/male/want to see the result 53%  53%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 32

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2013, 7:51 pm

I saw a discussion on Aspie females marrying young, I was surprised but then I only know a few other Aspie females in person and so cannot draw a conclusion from my small sample of acquaintances.

What was your age of first marriage?

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:55 pm

I am 25, never married, and as of today single. Only 2 relationships ever.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 8:43 pm

I'm not married yet.

Ziuwari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 8:49 pm

I got married at 27, but that was because we had to (only way to be with each other, because of immigration issues). If we would have lived in the same country at the time we still would have gotten married, but probably years later.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 9:53 pm

I was one month short of 29. There is no way I was emotionally mature enough to marry before my late twenties. I was too possessive and anxious, and depressed.

I needed to develop emotional strengths in my twenties that most people develop during their teens. I was the classic Aspie "late bloomer".

{ oops - just noticed this was on the Women's Discussion forum - it just shows up in the RSS feed along with all the new topics in other forums and I didn't notice that I was gatecrashing - sorry }

ladraven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2013, 5:31 am

I was 27 and still together (just) at 36.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

Actually, I've been married twice. The first time was at age 28 before I knew why I was so weird. That lasted 7 years. My 2nd time was age 37, right after I started figuring it out. I think I shoulda waited, both times.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

I was 35 when I got married. I still think (looking back) that I was too young...

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:27 am

I am 24, never married, probably wont happen till I am well pass 30. Aspie females marrying young is something I just dont get?

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 6:50 am

I married at 21 and it would have been earlier, if we were not waiting for me to finish my studies first.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 9:07 am

I was 23 (barely) when we got legally married, but we pretty much got married, as far as committment to each other goes, a few weeks after we met. I was 20, he was 18.

I think it was a mistake. I was young, lonely, tired of facing all of it alone, looking for someone to help me deal with all life's s**t. He was even younger, even lonlier, 1000 miles from home, looking for a way to get out of a dorm where he was being harassed on a daily basis and for a way to keep food in his belly, a roof over his head, and tuition paid.

I loved him then and he swore he loved me. I love him now and he swears he loves me. But we make each other miserable. We don't want the same things out of life. He's sick of my personality and sick of my s**t, and it's mutual.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:45 am

I got married a month before I turned 24. So I married young.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:24 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I was 23 (barely) when we got legally married, but we pretty much got married, as far as committment to each other goes, a few weeks after we met. I was 20, he was 18.

I think it was a mistake. I was young, lonely, tired of facing all of it alone, looking for someone to help me deal with all life's sh**. He was even younger, even lonlier, 1000 miles from home, looking for a way to get out of a dorm where he was being harassed on a daily basis and for a way to keep food in his belly, a roof over his head, and tuition paid.

I loved him then and he swore he loved me. I love him now and he swears he loves me. But we make each other miserable. We don't want the same things out of life. He's sick of my personality and sick of my sh**, and it's mutual.

Hey, I have a similar situation, but I was the one looking for a way out.

I married 8 months ago, and I was 21. We met on the internet when I was 18. He kind of has problems like me, too. We mainly married for immigration, and so only our income will count so I can go to college. He is my best friend, but I do not think we'll be together forever.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:43 pm

I was a less than a month shy of 33 when I met my husband. We married three years later and had our first son one year after that. We worked fast LOL

gdgt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

On my 21st birthday, but I kind of had to grow up fast (left home at 16, etc). We had been together for over 3 years before the fact. I'm almost 24 now, we have two children, and so far so good. :D It seems much easier to just settle down with someone than to navigate the confusing world of dating, so I guess I could see why some on the spectrum may choose to marry young.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 8:27 am

I was 27 and consider that the perfect age to get married. I was actually the first among my friends/peers to marry. People here marry pretty late. I don't think it could be any earlier for me. I never thought about dating guys before I turned 23, and met DH right away and dated him for a few years before we were married. I highly value efficiency and thought there was no point dating men unless you are almost ready to marry, and of course dating men who don't plan to marry is just a waste of time as well. :D