Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 8:53 pm

Well, I've just come off the tail end of a 42 hour insomnia spell. I tried to sleep but I just lay there awake staring at the ceiling. Useless. So I'd get up and sit at my laptop at 2am, 3am, 4am...

6am comes around and I think, "This is the time I'd normally be waking up to go to work." but I'd been awake all night.

After 42 hours, I still wasn't hallucinating but I've had periods of insomnia sleeplessness where I've been awake for more than 72 hours and I was hallucinating like a son of a b***h. I was getting auditory hallucinations on Thursday like crazy. I could hear music when there was no external source and it was coming from a room that had no radio. I couldn't quite locate the point or direction of the sound source (hallucination). It was just in the air all around me.

Has anyone ever been so sleep deprived to the point where you start to hallucinate? I have :)

Insomnia is not fun though. I now feel like I've been dragged under a tractor whilst it was being smashed into by another tractor. Tragic. But, after these long insomnia periods, I get the BEST night's sleep and I'm off again.

The longest I've gone without sleep is 82 hours (3½ days without sleep). THAT was crazy. My God! The hallucinations!! !

Sleep is the drug that prevents us from finding out the reality - and you can't do without it. Try! If you manage to stay awake long enough to break the restraints, well then you'll see what life REALLY is! And you don't want to see that!! !! !! !! !! !

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 9:27 pm

I once didn't sleep for 8 days, but I didn't have any hallucinations.
Then, I took a 2-hour nap on a mountainside road turnout.
Then, I went to sleep that night and slept a normal night and was normal afterwards.
Once, I heard music without a source too, but that seemed random, not during an insomnia period.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2014, 10:19 pm

82 hours! 8O

The longest I've gone was 36 hours, years ago when I was younger and minus the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and POTS that makes me conk out now.

Issue I have now is Delayed Sleep Phase - I'm up all night and sleep 2/3 of my day away and I hate it. Trying everything to fix it but my body's made up it's own mind when it wants to sleep :? :lol:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm

I once went roughly 4 days, 21 hours without sleep.
Normally I go 1-2 days without sleep every two to three weeks.

It's a cycle, cause I logged all my sleeping in my iPhone 5s last month to chart it.

Though my new pill makes sleep better.

Oddly enough, it doesn't get rid of my fatigue (It's not as bad on this pill).
I also have trouble waking up now...

My mind tends to get restless at night.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:01 pm

xenocity wrote:
It's a cycle, cause I logged all my sleeping in my iPhone 5s last month to chart it.

That's amazing! I run in cycles too. I'll go several weeks surviving on 2-3 hours sleep a night and then several weeks of 4-5 hours sleep and then it'll rotate back again. I'm such a weird sleeper. No wonder I've got insomnia :)

Me at night -> 8O

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:20 pm

I've been going through a spell of insomnia. I've only been getting three hours of sleep for the past week. I hope I have a good sleep tonight. If I wake up in the wee hours of the morning, I'll try going back to bed. If that doesn't work, I'll order Z-Quill off of Points2Shop.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:40 am

I didnt sleep for a few days and started hallucinating. read on the net this is what insomnia does to people, that it's common to have hallucinations when sleep deprived. I'm hopelessly insomniac, but it's not a good thing because it affects my physical and mental abilities. I feel horrible today because I didnt get enough sleep. I suffer because of it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 6:12 am

I kept trying and fail. I never made it past 60 hours.

I've only done about past 52 hours more or less so far... Still plans on breaking it sooner or later hopefully on the right opportunity. The fatigue is rather painful, and afterwards turns over my sleeping schedule into "about over 12 hours per night" sleeps so I have to be careful when to attempt to.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 6:40 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I kept trying and fail. I never made it past 60 hours.

I've only done about past 52 hours more or less so far... Still plans on breaking it sooner or later hopefully on the right opportunity. The fatigue is rather painful, and afterwards turns over my sleeping schedule into "about over 12 hours per night" sleeps so I have to be careful when to attempt to.

You need a plan. You need to think of activities that keep you going like a brisk walk at night. Whenever you feel it coming on, whip out one of your strategies.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 7:27 am

Insomnia is not a physical condition
It is not an emotional condition

It is a mental condition

When the mind is abuzz it flitters from tree to tree seeking flowers and nectar
it's a buzy little bee
and it never stops

even when it gets home it dances around and shows all the other bees where the flowers are

Your mind is a busy little bee

Take your self to a still spot
somewhere where there is silence and stillness
then think about silence and stillness
then imagine stillness and silence as your whole world
then go there

Insania2016
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2014, 9:42 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
Sleep is the drug that prevents us from finding out the reality - and you can't do without it. Try! If you manage to stay awake long enough to break the restraints, well then you'll see what life REALLY is! And you don't want to see that!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

You're dreaming while "awake." It happens when you start to nod off for a nap too. Anyways, not sleeping is not healthy. Your mind will detoriate. Try Ambien and Melatonin. Get rid of all the electronic devices in your room and make sure it is very dark. Try a white-noise machine to block out ambient noises. Try taking a nice hot bath before you go to sleep.

If you're not married then get married and have a lot of children. They'll make you very tired in the evening lol

TwiAndDiCLink
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2014, 10:06 am

I've had insomnia a few times, but not to the point of hallucinations.

My first experience with insomnia (To my memory) was sometime last year. I suffered a week-long spell that rendered me unable to sleep until a bit after 4 AM.

There were also two or three times that I couldn't even get a bit of shuteye thanks to drinking beverages with caffeine. :(