Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:20 pm

B19 wrote:
Hmmmmm: yes I must stop being so unfair to the nitties (NTs) - perhaps Sweetleaf has a point, I mean it's not as if the nitties have ever made gross, inaccurate generalisations about us, and they quickly jump on other nitties who do this, to defend us...

I'm going to report this post for derogatory language.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

Excellent!! In that case, I'll add in more: the world is made up of nitties and natties - (the latter being neuro-atyps like our brilliant selves :)

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

Pretending to be humorous doesn't work, in much the same way that a prejudiced or racist person saying "my best friend is black/jewish/gay" doesn't convince anybody either.

The hidden intent is blatant.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:52 pm

Sigh...

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 4:58 pm

You literally do not see the irony in making "gross, inaccurate generalisations" about NTs or calling them names, I take it?

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2015, 8:04 pm

I think B19's point is sort of like this: why bow down completely to NT's when autistic people and aspies often bear a strong brunt in a lot of things?

Honestly I don't really like the political correctness going on around here....

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm

I have no problem getting the parody.
I see the intent as to help open eyes to different and larger perspectives.

Generalizing is a functional practicality. It's what the psychologists do whenever they are deciding what constitutes a disorder.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2015, 10:43 pm

Couldn't have said it any better.... not to mention critiques of overall mainstream society as well as "dominant groups" have actually been quite well received (think AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, Family Guy, and maybe the Hunger Games). I'm not trying to make direct comparisons or anything, but it happens all the time.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

I love the clever irreverence of Family Guy and SouthPark, Kyle makes me :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:54 pm

Trigger warning to politically correct and/or DSM hardliners: there is more irreverence in this satirical link which may endanger your health or be severely disruptive to your viewpoints..

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Diag ... _Disorders

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

olympiadis wrote:
I have no problem getting the parody.
I see the intent as to help open eyes to different and larger perspectives.

Generalizing is a functional practicality. It's what the psychologists do whenever they are deciding what constitutes a disorder.

Yes but they tend to more attempt to base it on scientific observation rather than angst more often than not. Neurotypicals have a disorder solely because the OP is irritated by negative human traits people on or of the spectrum can exibit?...realistically there is nothing about the neurotypical brain that causes a marked impairment of functioning...Perhaps in an entirely different society that would not be the case but hypotheticals are hypotheticals, currently they are the norm of what everything else is compared to since they function fine in this world. People with various mental disorders struggle with things to the extent its hard to function even at a healthy level, not such a big deal if someone functions different and that is it but when your mental problems interfere with your ability to even function to a healthy level that is an issue and its not something neurotypicals experience. These threads tend to irritate me as they inadvertantly seem to imply mental disorders or mental health issues are nothing serious or don't cause real impairments for people who have them. Also blanket generalizing any negative human trait as 'neurotypical' doesn't sit well....doesn't it bother autistic people when people do that to us?

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 26 Jan 2015, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

As it happens - in all seriousness - the link demonstrates how unscientific that scientific observation can be..

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 8:09 pm

Hansgrohe wrote:
I think B19's point is sort of like this: why bow down completely to NT's when autistic people and aspies often bear a strong brunt in a lot of things?

Honestly I don't really like the political correctness going on around here....

Yes however autistic people do not collectively have special talents no one else does...there are autistic savants, in various areas. Some develop special interests in things that prove to be useful as far as gaining financial/educational success...but its not like we are collectively better at math, science and logic for instance like some people here suggest. I fail at math, am emotionally sensative(no I do not think everything through in a logical objective way before reacting, some neurotypicals are even better at that than me). Not really sure pointing out holes in generalizations is the same as political correctness which is more sugar coating the truth...what truth here is being sugar coated?

Neurotypicals for instance though collectively are able to socially interact, pick up on body language ques and such fairly easily....while autistic people collectively have more trouble with that. But there isn't really a specific thing all autistic people are better at that neurotypicals all struggle more with. Except maybe the intent ability to heavily focus on a topic of interest but that can sometimes also be a detriment...like when you lose track of time on it and go too long without eating, drinking water or other things like that or you simply cannot stop obsessing even if you'd like a break. Or you get a special interest in something you're terrible at...which can increase feelings of failure when no matter how hard you try it doesn't happen and maybe be more difficult to let go or put it on the back burner to focus on something else.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 10:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes but they tend to more attempt to base it on scientific observation rather than angst more often than not. Neurotypicals have a disorder solely because the OP is irritated by negative human traits people on or of the spectrum can exibit?...realistically there is nothing about the neurotypical brain that causes a marked impairment of functioning...Perhaps in an entirely different society that would not be the case but hypotheticals are hypotheticals, currently they are the norm of what everything else is compared to since they function fine in this world.

I believe that you are mistaken about this.
I think that NTs only only function well with each other, and within a narrow time period. They can easily adapt, as in copying, but only to each other or the majority of NTs within their current environment.
Take them out of their time-line or place them in an alien environment or society, and they would then functionally have a disorder.

My cats cannot function as NTs, so technically they also have a disorder.
I have five cats, but only one of me. I'm sure that they notice that I do not function so well as a cat, but thankfully they are quite forgiving of this disorder.

It's all about perspectives.
You can say that the current social context is THE perspective, but I have to point out that it is very limited to a specific environment of social members, current technology, and a narrow range of time.
You could also say that you think it most desirable to be an efficient copying machine.
I don't share that view, nor do I think this characteristic valuable in the defining of what is normal and what is not.
I think that variation is the driving mechanism of progress.

I see NTs as having a marked impairment of functioning.
If you would like to see what I'm talking about here for yourself then take a look at
three youtube videos.
"Asch Conformity Experiment"
"Milgram Experiment"
"Stanford Prison Experiment"

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm

Some NT functionality.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 11:32 pm

What you see is a function of where you stand.