Autistic Person has Tried to Kill because he's a Virgin

Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:
You should check out USA TV and media sometimes. That is all they talk about.

That doesn't mean everyone is. You reinforce these beliefs by watching these programs and a false reality is created and perpetuated.

Unfortunately none of the other measures we tend to use are any better. Measuring yourself and your worth by how much money you make, what your job title is, how many degrees you have, or what kind of car you drive aren't improvements.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm

The old staples of power, status, money, (which are universal) or outstanding personal achievement (Sir Edmund Hilary is still considered one of the most successful New Zealanders, even after his death some time ago), or outstanding public service/philanthropy, and if all that fails, you have to become an All Black (play rugby for New Zealand) or win the Americas Cup (Sir Peter Blake) or make movies (Sir Peter Jackson), or the Booker Prize (Eleanor Caton). Courage is admired (being awarded a Victoria Cross for bravery in combat). But basically, personal achievement that is outstanding in some way. Rags to riches is admired, rather than nepotism. Celebrity culture is considered a bit of a joke by most people, a narcissistic self-indulgence for those who want to be or are part of it. Kim Kardashian is regarded as as a joke, an example of what you would never want to be (laughed at and regarded as talentless).

New Zealanders have a soft spot for mavericks or people who overcome enormous odds to end up on the top of the heap through sheer guts and vision, even when people have laughed at their dreams in the beginning; especially when people have done that.. innovators and inventors are much admired (Sir Ernest Rutherford) and good keen men (can do types who are not wimpy).

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm

This guy seems like developing serial killer.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:20 pm

New Zealand sounds much more advanced than the US has become, that is for sure. Intelligence is no longer praised or even desired in the US. Now it is all about appearance, and how much you can draw attention to yourself. Our culture has been destroyed by Hollywood and reality TV. When someone is an actor/actress/musician, it is automatically assumed that they are knowledgeable about everything else as well, and we have to constantly listen to these airheads spout off about the environment, African politics, economics, etc. stuff they generally know nothing about, but the media really assumes that they are experts in this area.

Unfortunately, the Kardashians aren't treated like a joke in this country, they are role models.

I am not sure that power, money, and status are real good measures to evaluate people on, though, either.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
This has been discussed on numerous occasions. Hans Asperger defined as part of his diagnostic criteria for Aspergers the presence of "antisocial behavior". I don't know about America but in New Zealand people with Aspergers are 7 times more likely to be incarcerated for criminal behavior than the general population http://autismnz.org.nz/police/Pol_BeyGuilt.pdf.

The reasons for these statistics are nothing to do with Aspies having criminal tendencies. It has more to do with police and the Justice system in New Zealand not being properly trained to understand the symptoms of autism and how when people lose control and assault somebody or have a compulsion to behave irrationally that they are often not in full control of themselves.

Yeah. People can google "Neli Latson" for an American example of how that happens.

(Latson was waiting for his local library to open when some panicky, anonymous neighbor calls the police and reports a black man with a gun (no, he didn't have a gun). A cop shows up and grabs him by the back of the neck with no announcement or warning. Latson reacts, cop escalates, struggle ensues, cop falls down and breaks his ankle, and to make a long story short Latson is sentenced to 10.5 years in prison. Initially, he wasn't sentenced to prison, but the place he was sent to was making him suicidal, which was misinterpreted as some sort of aggression and he was then sent to prison. He spent most of his time in solitary (he's not mildly autistic -- people can tell he's not normal pretty quickly).

Recently, by some miracle (after 2-3 years in solitary), Latson was conditionally pardoned. I wonder how many others were not so lucky?

Neli Latson was arrested and prosecuted unjustly, not because he was a criminal. In any case, this thread is about someone who actually planned to commit violence, something which is very rare in the autistic population. No data anywhere, in any paper supports the notion that autistics are more likely to commit violent crime than the general population. In practically all papers that suggested a connection, the vast majority of such cases have other co-morbid conditions that could be connected with violence suggesting that it's not connected with ASD itself:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17805955

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14789940600589464#.VMvzpFqK995

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18449633

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.424.3934&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I don't know where the "7 times more likely" statistic comes from. On the AANE site, that statistic is quoted as ASD people coming into contact with legal system as victims.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:04 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:
You should check out USA TV and media sometimes. That is all they talk about.

That doesn't mean everyone is. You reinforce these beliefs by watching these programs and a false reality is created and perpetuated.

Unfortunately none of the other measures we tend to use are any better. Measuring yourself and your worth by how much money you make, what your job title is, how many degrees you have, or what kind of car you drive aren't improvements.

You choose the standards by which you measure yourself. If pop culture offers empty ones, look elsewhere.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:16 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
New Zealand sounds much more advanced than the US has become, that is for sure. Intelligence is no longer praised or even desired in the US. Now it is all about appearance, and how much you can draw attention to yourself. Our culture has been destroyed by Hollywood and reality TV. When someone is an actor/actress/musician, it is automatically assumed that they are knowledgeable about everything else as well, and we have to constantly listen to these airheads spout off about the environment, African politics, economics, etc. stuff they generally know nothing about, but the media really assumes that they are experts in this area.

Unfortunately, the Kardashians aren't treated like a joke in this country, they are role models.

I am not sure that power, money, and status are real good measures to evaluate people on, though, either.

Your question really has led to an interesting morning of reflections for me. Like the USA, New Zealand as a modern country developed from a pioneer culture that invaded a country where there was a long-established indigineous culture, a lot of natural resources, no infrastructure or government. Unlike the USA, the colonialists here realised that integration with the existing population was better than wiping them out - though this process was not without tears for both parties as promises were often broken in the early decades - and the basis of NZ constitutional law was the founding document, The Treaty of Waitango (1840). For some time after that it was more honoured in the breach - a long learning curve - though eventually justice won out and for a long time NZ race relations were considered the gold standard for the world. Social justice was a very strong theme in the development of New Zealand, derailed though from the 1980s on by free market political masters who are still in charge and have wreaked havoc here. Unfortunately this innovation has been widely copied in other countries since, and it has been a disaster here, crony capitalism that has re-centralised wealth in the hands of the few at the expense of the many. Nevertheless, there are still many of us old dinosaurs who would like to see a renaissance of the social concern and regard for the underdog that typified most of our history. Elvis was greatly admired in New Zealand - not just for his wonderful talent - but that he was a poor boy from a very ordinary family and background who achieved extraordinary things. That best symbolises what New Zealanders admire. And Elvis is still greatly loved - there are annual Elvis festivals which are big events.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:45 pm

B19 wrote:
who would like to see a renaissance of the social concern and regard for the underdog that typified most of our history. Elvis was greatly admired in New Zealand - not just for his wonderful talent - but that he was a poor boy from a very ordinary family and background who achieved extraordinary things. That best symbolises what New Zealanders admire. And Elvis is still greatly loved - there are annual Elvis festivals which are big events.

That is interesting. I have friends who tell me that Americans still like that type of story-going from the outhouse to the penthouse. They say that people would really admire me for my story, how I was born with Asperger's to an unwed mother in 1960s Chicago, put up for adoption when I was 2 weeks old which probably led to abandonment and attachment issues, sexually abused as a child, bullied in elementary and junior high, couldn't get a date in high school, spent 9 years as an alcoholic and drug addict, arrested 5 times, and wind up as a tenured professor at a state university, just promoted to the rank of full professor (highest academic rank in the US), married for 15 years with a daughter. I had better stop, I am impressing my self and raising my self esteem :D

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:04 pm

Good for you. Keep it up!! !

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:34 pm

Jono wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
This has been discussed on numerous occasions. Hans Asperger defined as part of his diagnostic criteria for Aspergers the presence of "antisocial behavior". I don't know about America but in New Zealand people with Aspergers are 7 times more likely to be incarcerated for criminal behavior than the general population http://autismnz.org.nz/police/Pol_BeyGuilt.pdf.

The reasons for these statistics are nothing to do with Aspies having criminal tendencies. It has more to do with police and the Justice system in New Zealand not being properly trained to understand the symptoms of autism and how when people lose control and assault somebody or have a compulsion to behave irrationally that they are often not in full control of themselves.

Yeah. People can google "Neli Latson" for an American example of how that happens.

(Latson was waiting for his local library to open when some panicky, anonymous neighbor calls the police and reports a black man with a gun (no, he didn't have a gun). A cop shows up and grabs him by the back of the neck with no announcement or warning. Latson reacts, cop escalates, struggle ensues, cop falls down and breaks his ankle, and to make a long story short Latson is sentenced to 10.5 years in prison. Initially, he wasn't sentenced to prison, but the place he was sent to was making him suicidal, which was misinterpreted as some sort of aggression and he was then sent to prison. He spent most of his time in solitary (he's not mildly autistic -- people can tell he's not normal pretty quickly).

Recently, by some miracle (after 2-3 years in solitary), Latson was conditionally pardoned. I wonder how many others were not so lucky?

Neli Latson was arrested and prosecuted unjustly, not because he was a criminal. In any case, this thread is about someone who actually planned to commit violence, something which is very rare in the autistic population. No data anywhere, in any paper supports the notion that autistics are more likely to commit violent crime than the general population. In practically all papers that suggested a connection, the vast majority of such cases have other co-morbid conditions that could be connected with violence suggesting that it's not connected with ASD itself:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17805955

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14789940600589464#.VMvzpFqK995

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18449633

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.424.3934&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I don't know where the "7 times more likely" statistic comes from. On the AANE site, that statistic is quoted as ASD people coming into contact with legal system as victims.

Yeah, that was my point. Neli Latson's only mistake was not knowing that when a cop is beating you for no reason you just have to let him do it or else you get 10 years in prison and labelled a violent criminal.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 7:02 pm

B19 wrote:
I don't live in a culture that does that, and I don't know anyone who defines success for a man in that way. And how would I know how many sexual experiences anyone else has had? Unless they chose to tell me, which would be pretty weird immature behaviour and I would be rapidly moving in the opposite direction, as this would be a strong signal that such a person had no concept of boundaries and disclosing highly personal information of a sexual nature to define yourself would be a red light to any woman I know...

It may not be success, exactly. It's just something people seem to find creepy or wrong. I've even seen insinuations that a man who rarely or never has relationships/sex is probably a pedophile or a rapist. Some people just seem to think, in some subconscious way, that men basically are sex, and so a man without any is like a deformed fetus or something; a thing that's impossible to understand and probably shouldn't exist.

As to how you would know: if you're male you start telling sex stories all the time and keep track of who never relates or jumps in with a story of their own (which works because most males will). If you're female maybe you talk about relationships a lot and do the same thing. I've seen people do these things many times. People seem to spend a lot of time talking about relationships, so even at work (or maybe especially), if you never have any it's going to be noticed and then the bullying begins.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:49 am

HAHAHAHA! What a loser serves him right ok now call me an as*hole but he did deserve it because he is a loony and a psycho!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 4:36 am

Arcnarenth wrote:
B19 wrote:
Professor John wrote: "While I in no way condone what this guy did, and I do hope he gets the help he needs, I can relate to his frustration. It is too bad that we now live in a culture (and have for a while) where the main measure of whether a male is a success or not is based on the number of sexual experiences or relationships he has had".

I don't live in a culture that does that, and I don't know anyone who defines success for a man in that way. And how would I know how many sexual experiences anyone else has had? Unless they chose to tell me, which would be pretty weird immature behaviour and I would be rapidly moving in the opposite direction, as this would be a strong signal that such a person had no concept of boundaries and disclosing highly personal information of a sexual nature to define yourself would be a red light to any woman I know...

Apparently New Zealand is much more civilized than the U.S... :roll:

It is far too typical for groups of men in the U.S. to dominate a conversation by bragging about their sexual exploits. American reality TV is often a revolting example of this as well which likely perpetuates the notion that male sexual prowess is an indicator of success.

I am a 31 year old male virgin and in no way asexual, but I do believe that a sexual and/or romantic relationship would cause far more burden for me than any potential gains. I don't think 'sex with no strings attached' exists.

I'm legitimately curious what "strings" you believe are attached to sex. Are you talking emotional? Or spiritual/metaphysical/energy? Or something else entirely?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 4:39 am

B19 wrote:
The old staples of power, status, money, (which are universal) or outstanding personal achievement (Sir Edmund Hilary is still considered one of the most successful New Zealanders, even after his death some time ago), or outstanding public service/philanthropy, and if all that fails, you have to become an All Black (play rugby for New Zealand) or win the Americas Cup (Sir Peter Blake) or make movies (Sir Peter Jackson), or the Booker Prize (Eleanor Caton). Courage is admired (being awarded a Victoria Cross for bravery in combat). But basically, personal achievement that is outstanding in some way. Rags to riches is admired, rather than nepotism. Celebrity culture is considered a bit of a joke by most people, a narcissistic self-indulgence for those who want to be or are part of it. Kim Kardashian is regarded as as a joke, an example of what you would never want to be (laughed at and regarded as talentless).

New Zealanders have a soft spot for mavericks or people who overcome enormous odds to end up on the top of the heap through sheer guts and vision, even when people have laughed at their dreams in the beginning; especially when people have done that.. innovators and inventors are much admired (Sir Ernest Rutherford) and good keen men (can do types who are not wimpy).

That REALLY sells me on kiwis & NZ culture in general. This is how I wish even more people here behaved. We do have some of this, but there are still far too many people interested in stereotypical American celebrity crap.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:57 pm

darkphantomx wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being a virgin at any age.

If you're 40 years old and still a virgin, yes thats pretty bad. 25-30 is understandable if you're "waiting for the right person" but once you get into 40s and you still havn't done it, sorry thats pretty bad.

The good news is that most of you 25 year old virgins will not be by the time you're 40.
Why is it so bad, there's millions of people whom are lifetime virgins for all reasons like being disinterested, not being able to physically or by personal choice. It is only a minor social stigma at best within local social cultures and that's it. It is completly normal and can be seen as a good rather than a bad thing.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
darkphantomx wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being a virgin at any age.

If you're 40 years old and still a virgin, yes that's pretty bad. 25-30 is understandable if you're "waiting for the right person" but once you get into 40s and you still haven't done it, sorry that's pretty bad.

The good news is that most of you 25 year old virgins will not be by the time you're 40.
Why is it so bad, there's millions of people whom are lifetime virgins for all reasons like being disinterested, not being able to physically or by personal choice. It is only a minor social stigma at best within local social cultures and that's it. It is completely normal and can be seen as a good rather than a bad thing.

I agree as I am past the 40 threshold by personal choice. The few people who have figured that out did make fun of me for it. But I am not ashamed of it, actually I am proud to be so. You see, there were chances over the years but I decided against them. Many people are controlled by the quest for sex (or money), yet I am not. My controlling factor is the quest for knowledge. Does that make me less human? Maybe. However, I am what I am.